Don't the Navy do keel hauling anymore?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chocolate_frog, Sep 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Henry VIII's navy had a good system - the Laws of Oleron. If anyone were found guilty of murder aboard a ship " he shall be hanged to the bowsprit end of the ship in a basket, with a can of beer, a loaf of bread and a sharp knife, and choose to hang there until he starve or cut himself in to the sea".

While in Nelson's time, the Articles of War applied: "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If any officer, mariner, soldier or other person in the fleet, shall strike any of his superior officers, or draw, or offer to draw, or lift up any weapon against him, being in the execution of his office, on any pretence whatsoever, every such person being convicted of any such offense, by the sentence of a court martial, shall suffer death"[/FONT].

2. I believe this was still a popular punishment in Cuba until Obama ordered it to be stopped.
  3. Can`t do keel hauling if you haven`t got any ships.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. That was the civvie court. Consequential Naval Penalties have yet to be announced so there is (no) hope left.
  5. The incident occured "during a goodwill visit to the city". Thank **** for that otherwise he might have got nasty.
  6. Clever, them Tudors. 350 odd years before the invention of the can.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Hanging from the yard-arm. Difficult, in a sub.
  8. The saltwater would knacker their iPods!
  9. Not so different in my day. I once saw a pissed Midshipman take a swing at a Chief Petty Officer (=Staff Sergeant). After putting the young gentleman on his back, Chiefy installed him in the ship's Neil Robertson stretcher and left him on the flight deck overnight.

IIRC The last execution aboard ship was of a Royal Marine in Hong Kong round about the mid 19th Century. The unfortunate fellow had tried to kill his Captain. No 1 punishment (the death penalty) was available to Courts Martial for certain specific offences until the introduction of the Human Rights Act in 1998. I'm told that the Navy maintained a gallows in one of the dockyards.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody was flogged in the Royal Navy during the 20th Century but flogging was still technically legal until the early 1950s, as was the awarding of prize money when a ship was captured. Ironically, I have heard that soldiers were flogged during WWII, long after the flogging of sailors stopped.

In the days when you could leave school at 14 and join the forces, I believe that the practice of caning boys was still in use. It was only abolished in the late 1960s. Perhaps some veterans of HMS Ganges could confirm or refute this.

Our man can be grateful that he's a crap shot and therefore missed the two senior ratings from a range of 10 feet! If he'd killed more than one person, he'd be going down for his whole life.
  10. I believe that punishment was reserved for sleeping on watch. A murderer was tied to the body of his victim and thrown overboard \9or buried with him, if the murder was committed ashore).

Articles of War
  11. [​IMG]

Teach that man a lesson for turning up pissed for duty - give him a rifle and put him on watch....

Your wish is my command master
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

13. I thought the bowspirt thing was for third time of falling asleep on wathc too.
  14. What do you mean by "maintained" in the past tense- we still do, it's in south yard of HMNB Devonport- all part one recruits are shown it in it's full working glory!