Don't send child to friends party - get invoice for costs and threat of small claims court...

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Saw this on twitter, definitely one of those times where people just need to get a grip and stop being so small minded.

Ms Lawrence has pretty much ruined her sprog's chances of having friends visit ever again.

Let us hope the person in question falls into a wood chipper.

If it ever gets to court I would like to hear the judge's decision.

philc

LE
Spiteful nasty woman, hope her husband kick drops her in to touch for being a mare to live with.

Oh gods, what is wrong with the world when parents start threatening small claims court over £16 worth of costs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...voice-for-missing-friends-birthday-party.html

Surely the "lesson identified" here is: if you've accepted an invitation, at least have the decency to pitch up on the day. It's bloody rude otherwise. People have made the effort to lay something on and then you don't turn up because you decide you've got something better to do.

The invoice thing though: petty beyond belief! Just don't bother inviting them again...

Devil's Advocate head on.
The money was paid for him to attend. He didn't show so parents should pay for the cost. Why should people be expected to pay for someone who doesn't even have the good manners to go round and apologise? Like dentists charging for missed appointments. Little lad whose birthday it was now thinks he is not liked and is traumatised for life.
Devil's Advocate head off.

Darn, it's not the NAAFI. As soon as I saw they'd been in touch by Facebook I knew they were all idiots.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Surely the "lesson identified" here is: if you've accepted an invitation, at least have the decency to pitch up on the day. It's bloody rude otherwise.

The money was paid for him to attend. He didn't show so parents should pay for the cost. Why should people be expected to pay for someone who doesn't even have the good manners to go round and apologise? Like dentists charging for missed appointments. Little lad whose birthday it was now thinks he is not liked and is traumatised for life.

Or have the common sense to leave some kind of contact details in the case that you won't be attending!

jim30

LE
From what I understand, the affected couple are claiming that they had no contact details for the party (little odd, but hey). However ski centre is saying they'd never make such an invoice and would ensure that the party got its moneys worth (e.g. extra runs etc).

Sounds to me like two sets of parents having a ding dong, which when I was growing up would have been settled by a phone call, or popping round to say 'sorry can't make it' but instead in this day has become headline news and a byword for stupidity.

Do you think the kid can sue his parents in years to come for lifelong trauma!

Alternatively, the £15+ pounds would have been "lost" anyway, had the boy attended.
Agree on the manners bit.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
If this does go to court and gets upheld, can @Trans_sane bill those who didn't turn up to the Arrse piss-up he organised that had 3 attendees, he being one of them [emoji4]

Alternatively, the £15+ pounds would have been "lost" anyway, had the boy attended.
Agree on the manners bit.

It's not so much manners as this automatic jump to the 'nuclear' option. Talk to a copper about how many jobs they attend for text messages and Facebook chat. Who phones the Police because someone send a nasty text?! Apparently, lots of people.

PFGEN

GCM
To quote the Captain in Cool Hand Luke; "What we've got 'ere is a failure to communicate!" If more people picked up the phone like normal adults instead of using the likes of Facetwunt or Twatter then this sort of thing wouldn't happen. Mother of sprog having party informs other parents that she'll be spending a bit on the do and could they confirm attendance with respect to booking etc. If parents of invited sprog do something else then a simple phone call would have put things right even if it was later in the form of an apology and possibly an offer to make good any extra expense incurred. Everybody happy and the world moves on. That however all needs common sense and a modicum of civility. Something that seems to be sadly lacking these days.

Latest Threads