Dont sell your medals!

Just reading in the soldier mag about a SNCO who's just been bust for flogging a duplicate Telic medal he was sent for £600 on e-bay. He was orgiginally reduced to Pte but it was reviewed on appeal and they bust him to full screw. The MoD said the medal is their property until you leave the services! Blimey, they'll be panicking about a shortage of medals for walts on e-bay now.

amazing__lobster said:
That sounds like an excessive punishment.
Perhaps, but the Commanding Officer is responsible to the Army Board to ensure that soldiers are in possession of, and maintain their medals appropriately. Maybe a CO should be charged with negligently performing a duty in that he failed to ensure that his soldiers received their medals... after all it cuts both ways.

edited to add that medals are not subject to IHT valuations; therefore should a soldier choose to sell his medals then any profit (-i.e., all the money raised through their sale) should be subject to tax IMO.

jack-daniels said:
Just reading in the soldier mag about a SNCO who's just been bust for flogging a duplicate Telic medal.
duplicate issued by MoD? fair enough. Replica bought from private company, its up to him.

Note to self:

Dont flog surplus kit on e-bay until after christmas.

soldier magazine said:

He pointed out that serving soldiers who decided to sell their medals could be handed down a sentence of up to two years in prison under military law.
Two years in prison for selling a duplicate medal on Ebay? I don't think so.

TheBigUn said:
soldier magazine said:

He pointed out that serving soldiers who decided to sell their medals could be handed down a sentence of up to two years in prison under military law.
Two years in prison for selling a duplicate medal on Ebay? I don't think so.
its not worth the risk though, as you now know they'll make an example of the next one they catch...

I can see it now, you'll be having medal parades to see if anybody has got any missing (thats if you've even had them issued yet)...

A great advert for the Medal, the one in the Soldier magazine is Minging, you would have thought they would have taken the time to give it a bit of a clean before the photo was taken.

Sparky

sparkysapper said:
A great advert for the Medal, the one in the Soldier magazine is Minging, you would have thought they would have taken the time to give it a bit of a clean before the photo was taken.

Sparky
thats because its been sat on a shelf for so long waiting to be issued...

whit_RE said:
sparkysapper said:

Sparky
thats because its been sat on a shelf for so long waiting to be issued...
Doh, how silly of me, they still could have given it a clean though.

Sparky

What a bunch of throbbers.

If anyone is reading this from the Medal Office.....

CUNTS,

WHERE IS MY FUCKING VERITAS BAR THAT I QUALIFIED FOR ALMOST 3 YEARS AGO???????????

Blinking flip..I have a duplicate Telic medal due to the medal office putting the wrong Corps on my first one, I was considering Ebay - I'll leave it a year or two methinks.

Strangely though, my medals don't appear on my 1157 (or whatever it is called these days) and I have only ever signed for one, I wonder where I stand on the tacky medal that we got from Granby (the freebie thing from the Kuwaiti Govt). I'm absolutely amazed that this punishment was so harsh, he certainly isn't the first to do it although he may be the last for a while.

He must have had a shiiite lawyer.

blue_sophist said:
Interesting thread ... I thought medals were "awarded" to the individual, and thereby became the recipient's personal property.

Am I wrong here?
not according to the MOD

The spokesman said: “A medal is issued free of charge and is an item of uniform.

“It remains the property of the MoD until an individual is discharged from the Services. If he or she receives a duplicate it is not theirs to keep or sell.