Dont panic!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Apr 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Article in Mail today.

Basically talking about possible fuel shortages and rising prices. What does worry me is the news that the Government has 'beefed up' emergency contingency plans to deal with it, including plans for police to impund lorries, arrest drivers and strip them of operating licences. Invoke anti-terror laws, ration petrol and mobilise troops. Apart from the fact that troops are in short supply, do they not suppose that troops may have sympathy?
    I'm a bit concerned at the fact that police, along with many other agencies are now using anti-terror laws for what are essentially civil protests, or minor problems And no, this is not a 'knock the police' thread.
  2. Anti-Terror laws seem to be the flavour of the month. A bit like HP sauce - it goes with everything....
  3. Twisting existing legislation to suit their own ends, doesn't sound like Brron and his shower :roll:

This seems yet another kick in the balls for the driver, what are the alternatives, public transport? Sven may think so but in it's current state not a chance :x
  4. typical bush trick, scare the population with terror when bad news needs to be announced
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

The emphasis on public transport is always present, and maybe it works well, if you live and work in a large urban area.
    My place of work is some 18 miles from my home, takes around 20 mins to drive there. By using public transport, it would take just over 3 hours, always supposing transport ran on time, wasn't cancelled or people on strike/off with bad back. And would cost me around £14 a day.

And more importantly, I would have to travel with ordinary people!
  6. Wow! I didn't realise we were neighbours, that's very nearly exactly like my journey.

But I would have to travel with Welsh people............
  7. old_fat_and_hairy

Oh dear. That's one tragedy I manage to avoid. Still, would be proud to have you as neighbour!.
  8. I thought my point was that public transport SHOULD be given a boost, especially in rural areas.

In the West Yorkshire area public transport is quite fast - 40 minutes from Skipton to Leeds or Bradford on the train (which runs every 20 minute or so) it is just so bl00dy expensive for customers.

Buses do have bus lanes as they reach the large conurbations but they are so few and far between.

In my opinion public traansport ought to be subsidised by central government with companies rewarded for carrying greater numbers of seated passengers (seated so that we do not get the debacle I've seen in London where rush hour trains have too few carriages and so customers are treated to an experience they would not dare have visited on cattle - disgraceful)
  9. Agreed. Air travel is subsidised, if that is OK it should be equally applied to all public transport.

Oil is running out, we should start to prepare for the effects.
  10. You may like a little laugh over the Government's handling of Public Transport. Private Eye uncovered under their increasingly favourite weapon , the FOI request, that when the Civil Service was asked to draw up a report on Public Transport, and it's many flavours they created a nominal price of Oil per barrel in order to judge the value of public vs private transport. That figure was roughly $50 a barrel. This why, accorrding to Government, Public Transport is supposedly not cost effective. This is also the excuse used to justify NOT converting Trains to Electric.

can any one remember when Oil was $50 a barrel?
  11. Great idea! Why hasn't anybody else been able to come up with that?

I live in a city, ok major city, where the public transport is both comprehensive, frequent and cheap. I rarely use my car when travelling withing the city limits. It is now only partly subsidised by the city authorities (almost entirely subsidised 10 years ago) which has necessitated a rise in ticket price from 3p to 29p a journey in the past 7 years! The network is about 50% public buses/trams and 50% private on contract to the local authority.

How can they do it so cheap? Easy. They pay the staff next to nothing as a salary and offer no pension or sickness benefits. Moreover, there is effectively no health & safety requirements, so there is little need to repair of fix anything if it breaks. You'll probably think most of the vehicles are nothing better than death-traps.

Is that how YOU plan to run YOUR system Sven, or are you assuming that the good working class people of UK are going to be willing to see a massive rise in their taxes to subsidise both the massive investment needed in the infrastructure and the day-to-day running costs? It's cheaper - and far more convenient - for them to run a car.
  12. Oh yes, the oil wells are just about dry, just like they were 30 years ago when exactly the same claims were made of imminent exhaustion of supply.
    There are new wells being tapped all the time, it will become harder to get eventually but there is no need for this panic and hysteria that we are running out of oil and the world will grind to a halt shortly.
    The public transport infrastucture is a joke outside of the cities. In rural areas it cannot be made economical, subsidise it and it still comes out of the publics pocket, just in the form of taxation instead of fare costs to the consumer.
    Lets not pretend fuel costs are anything at all to do with the enviroment, its purely about Broon milking the public for every last penny.
    How about we bin the idea that private transport is bad and concentrate our efforts on more effective methods of freight transport?
    Remember way back when before Beeching we had a rail infrastucture with distribution points from rail yards? The same trains transported small volume freight as well as passengers. Canals and coastal shipping could massively reduce fuel usage and road use.
    This philosophy of turning us back to the stoneage is focussed in the wrong direction and thinking small. I think the Victorians could teach us a thing or two about the future.
    But then I suppose its easier to blame the individual and tax him to death on the pretext of enviromentalism than it is to actually address the issues in a practical fashion.
  13. old_fat_and_hairy

The point I was trying to emphasise, was not the shortcomings or otherwise of public transportation, but rather the draconiam measures thereatened. It appear that protests by working people, ordinary citizens , will attract overwhelming responses, including depriving persons of their jobs, earnings and liberty.
    However, the NUT is planning major strike action on Thursday, disrupting schools, depriving the most vulnerable members of our society - children - of education, causing hardship to working parents and costing the country millions in lost productivity , and mostly from what I can read, because teachers feel they are too important to do their own photocopying or filing, ( I have a head teacher and two teacher s in my family, so I am not knocking them), yet there are no plans, threats or mutterings about using anti terror laws against them, nor of deploying troops to stop their protest.
  14. Can someone wake Sven up.
    For prospective politician, he doesnt seem very knowledgeable.

15. Are you in the least bit surprised?
    These are the people that slipped in the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Act on us without a murmer from anyone. Give the program a few more years and they will ensure that even thinking about dissent is a crime.