Dont over-encourage kids: it makes them into little jackers

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by gobbyidiot, Nov 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought this was interesting - if you can wait for things you have the world's biggest advantage over those that can't. Especially interesting was the research that kids who are told are wonderful can't cope with reversals and tend to wrap their tits in when things don't go their way. All kinds of training implications - or maybe, by the time they are 18 you are pissing in the wind.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article5063058.ece

The most interesting bit - "One study by Martin Selig-man and Angela Duckworth concluded that an individual’s IQ, or intelligence quotient, accounts for only a third of any difference in academic performance when compared with peers. The rest has to do with qualities such as perseverance, self-discipline, hard work, creativity and luck. One impediment to developing grit, another study concluded, was a parent’s overindulgent praise of a child".

2. msr

msr LE

Why are you reading the Life and Style bit of the Women's section?

Is there something you need to get off your chest ?

3. It was actually in the main paper version yesterday, but if you prefer, "...the idiot leaned back in the chair, her dress riding up, revealing a tan band of thigh as she threw the women's section aside".

Christ, what an odd feeling even typing that :?

4. Didn't there used to be a thread here on "I'm turning my kids into tiny squaddies" or something similar?