"Don't mention the war," says German embassy

Are we ok to salute all Germans we meet instead as a tribute to how they have recovered from the trauma of two world wars?
Nothing too militaristic, maybe something subtle like this:
loser.jpg

I think old Fritz has a point of sorts. It was a horrible war and could probably have been averted if diplomats and politicians had done their job rather than simply trying to increase their power. One can commemorate the sacrifice and courage of the men without getting all yee-ha about it.

The only thing to celebrate about that war is the fact that it ended. Certainly the start of it is nothing to feel triumphalist about. 'Three cheers for a pointless catastrophe' is a poor slogan.

Another pointless article by the wail in it's pursuit of xenophobic shit-stirring. Some of the readers comments are priceless too. Lots of ill informed crap about how it was Germany wot started it.
They obviously didn't get the Edmund Blackadder scene about the two armed camps guaranteeing peace and the tiny flaw in the plan. "It was bollocks"

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
I blame Archie Duke. He started it.

Is the 1966 World Cup not to be spoken about as well.

The War Cry in German pubs and Clubs when it kicked off in the 70's between the Brit Squaddies and the Hun.

Two World Wars and the 1966 World Cup etc etc.

Shouldn't we be 'celebrating' the end of it? In 2018?

I don't see the point in having a centenary for the most destructive War in the History of Britain.

'We can’t tell you how you should celebrate, but our feeling is that issues about who was guilty and all that should be left more or less to historians and shouldn’t feature dominantly in politician’s speeches,' he told The Sunday Telegraph.'

I'd agree. WW1 was everyone's fault.

The dead of both sides have been always been remembered by people that have visited sites or had an interest in WW1. From what I have seen, it has always been a somber, respectful thing to do. Awe inspiring, jaw dropping, tear inducing and humbling.

Just watch the cunts in the Daily Mail, The Sun and Daily Express turn it into an embarrassing, hate filled, crowing, lack of respect filled 4 years.

'We can’t tell you how you should celebrate, but our feeling is that issues about who was guilty and all that should be left more or less to historians and shouldn’t feature dominantly in politician’s speeches,' he told The Sunday Telegraph.'

I'd agree. WW1 was everyone's fault.
That's as may be. However, the dreaded Hun lost. However, Just imagine if they had won? The repercussions would have been horrendous.

We would have only been able to sing 'One World War and One World cup, doo daa, doo daa'. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Fuck off I've got an alibi
Paying prostitutes to say they were with you when you were actually shooting the Archduke isn't going to fly...

That's as may be. However, the dreaded Hun lost. However, Just imagine if they had won? The repercussions would have been horrendous.

We would have only been able to sing 'One World War and One World cup, doo daa, doo daa'. It doesn't bear thinking about.
If Ze Germans had won, Nazism might never have gotten its start...

However the damage to the saying would be unforgivable.

Celebrating is the wrong word/expression.

Recognizing the start of a dark yet fascinationg part of,now,history without any goulish rectoric is another entirely.

That said if some Germans are going to get their knickers in a twist about how we mark the date then, well go ahead because it won't change a single thing. There aren't any Germans alive that I will be paying my respects to.

Unfortunately no Tommies either.

2019. But yes I agree, celebrate the end not the beginning.
No, the period before the end should have news regarding what teenagers and 20 somethings were doing 100 years ago.

-Dear Christopher of 2014, you’re a bit unhappy (pissed off in your language) cause your parents won't buy you a new car for celebrating you passing your driving test. I know, it is a bit of a bad show isn't it.
Imagine my horror that my parents wouldn't allow me to join the army and fight for my country, what a wheeze that would be, giving the Hun a good pummeling, it would be like beating the Oxford 4's, wonderful.

-Dear Christopher of 2015, well, I hear that your time at University is proving a bit more difficult than you had hoped, that girl you liked has spurned you? Oh well, there will be many more, don't worry. And your course of media studies is making you spend 3 hours a day of work? That must be tough.
Well, I finally managed to get a commission (against my parent wishes, I know they care about me but I feel that I must do my duty to my country and my friends). It has been pretty difficult to be honest Christopher, I have had to get to know many good men that for some reason they look up to me and expect me to tell them what to do and how to react….as if I know what the hell they should do….or myself .

-Dear Christopher of 2016, how are things fairing with you? I hear you have completed your first assignments and you are now enjoying your courses. It is fortunate that your parents are supporting you financially during your time at university. What is this I hear about your joining an anti-war group? I suppose it is a worthwhile thing to aspire to. And I wish you and all of your friends, much success.
It is late May here, my men and I have moved to a assembly area near Delville Wood. I have been told that we shall be advancing on that location within the next few days, but they won’t tell us when as it is all hush hush. I hope this last push will seal the victory that we have all been fighting for. I have now lost some of my friends and I don’t mind telling you that I am a bit scared that I may not see this through. I no longer feel as if I am a 20 yr old boy, I have seen things that I cannot wipe from my mind. I can be sitting here writing a letter such as this one and suddenly an image or sound will pop into my head and all I want to do is weep, or scream or shout…just to do something. I am sure you know what I am talking about Christopher, life can be difficult at times eh?
Dear Christopher, of 2017. So, your engaged! Well done and congratulations. I am very happy for you both. So the University course didn’t’ work out eh? Oh well, I’m sure that the rehab project that you are involved in will work out, whatever that is.

Since I last wrote to you I was injured at that Delville wood place that I mentioned in my last missive. As we were finally getting amongst the enemy, everything got a bit gruesome and during the battle one of the bastards (I apologise for my language but I am still rather raw about the subject) caught me with his shovel. I don’t remember much of the battle and I only regained consciousness a week later. Unfortunately my face now looks a bit dog-eared, with a large scar from my chin up to my eyebrow. It’s lucky that my sergeant shot the bugger before he had a second swipe at me. Anyway, I have received new orders to join another troop near Havrincourt, I hope that everything will be over by then. This war is not everything that I hoped it would be, in fact, it is nothing like I hoped it would be.

Dear Christopher of 1918, I wonder if you are tired, I wonder if your bones itch, I wonder if your faith in everything that you believe in is shaken? I wonder if you know who I am?

It is now December 1918, the war is over. I am soon to return to my family, however I fear that I will find it difficult to enjoy the job that my father has organised for me with Supermarine Aircraft Works Ltd. How can I worry about mathematics and balancing books after what I have seen? What will this company or I ever achieve compared to what I have seen, what humanity has lost over these last few years?