"Don't mention the war," says German embassy

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fireplace, Aug 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Oh that should be good for months of outrage
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Are we ok to salute all Germans we meet instead as a tribute to how they have recovered from the trauma of two world wars?
    Nothing too militaristic, maybe something subtle like this:
    • Like Like x 7
  3. I think old Fritz has a point of sorts. It was a horrible war and could probably have been averted if diplomats and politicians had done their job rather than simply trying to increase their power. One can commemorate the sacrifice and courage of the men without getting all yee-ha about it.

The only thing to celebrate about that war is the fact that it ended. Certainly the start of it is nothing to feel triumphalist about. 'Three cheers for a pointless catastrophe' is a poor slogan.
    • Like Like x 16
  4. Another pointless article by the wail in it's pursuit of xenophobic shit-stirring. Some of the readers comments are priceless too. Lots of ill informed crap about how it was Germany wot started it.
    They obviously didn't get the Edmund Blackadder scene about the two armed camps guaranteeing peace and the tiny flaw in the plan. "It was bollocks"
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I blame Archie Duke. He started it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Is the 1966 World Cup not to be spoken about as well.

The War Cry in German pubs and Clubs when it kicked off in the 70's between the Brit Squaddies and the Hun.

Two World Wars and the 1966 World Cup etc etc.
  7. Shouldn't we be 'celebrating' the end of it? In 2018?

I don't see the point in having a centenary for the most destructive War in the History of Britain.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. 'We can’t tell you how you should celebrate, but our feeling is that issues about who was guilty and all that should be left more or less to historians and shouldn’t feature dominantly in politician’s speeches,' he told The Sunday Telegraph.'

I'd agree. WW1 was everyone's fault.
  9. The dead of both sides have been always been remembered by people that have visited sites or had an interest in WW1. From what I have seen, it has always been a somber, respectful thing to do. Awe inspiring, jaw dropping, tear inducing and humbling.

Just watch the cunts in the Daily Mail, The Sun and Daily Express turn it into an embarrassing, hate filled, crowing, lack of respect filled 4 years.
    • Like Like x 12

10. Fuck off I've got an alibi
    • Like Like x 11
  11. That's as may be. However, the dreaded Hun lost. However, Just imagine if they had won? The repercussions would have been horrendous.

We would have only been able to sing 'One World War and One World cup, doo daa, doo daa'. It doesn't bear thinking about.
  12. 2019. But yes I agree, celebrate the end not the beginning.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Paying prostitutes to say they were with you when you were actually shooting the Archduke isn't going to fly...

If Ze Germans had won, Nazism might never have gotten its start...

However the damage to the saying would be unforgivable.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Celebrating is the wrong word/expression.

Recognizing the start of a dark yet fascinationg part of,now,history without any goulish rectoric is another entirely.

That said if some Germans are going to get their knickers in a twist about how we mark the date then, well go ahead because it won't change a single thing. There aren't any Germans alive that I will be paying my respects to.

Unfortunately no Tommies either.