Dont Let Your Tea Go Cold

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Spanny, Oct 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw this book on amazon

Being interested in all things military especially if it involves the antics of Andy McNab I was wondering if it was worth buying ? I'm slightly put off by two things though

1) The price tag of £7.59

2) The title sounds like it's about a 10 year old lad who likes to play at soldiers and his mummy has warned him not to come home late because his tea will get cold

Can anyone enlighten me if it's worth buying ?
  2. I think the author got ripped to shreds because he tried to push this on ARRSE a few days ago, Spanny.
  3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

There was another one today, the usual "I've just read this great book" twaddle when in fact it was the author trying to push his piece of shite on us without the bollocks to actually front up and say "Here is this book I've written, please have a look".

Thread got pulled, I believe.

If the twerp can't even admit it's him trying to advertise his own work, his book will stay unread and unpurchased as far as I'm concerned.
  4. Yeah I also noticed it's published via a vanity publishing company . One of those book companies where YOU pay THEM to publish the book . The good thing about this is no matter how bad it is you'll still see your manuscript printed . The bad news is that your book is usually so bad no one will want to read it
  5. Warning: he also plays in a band.Guess what's coming next.....
  6. Spanny - did you write this book? Thisis the 3rd time you have punted it? :D
  7. You think I'm the author 8O Bring out the outrage bus
  8. How could I be outraged at you Spanny? I don't care, one way or the other. I just wondered, that's all. I am all for blatant plug-gary, or even covert plug-gary - it would be very hypocritical of me to be anything other than supportive regardless of the outcome.

Good luck to the authors, I say. It's hard thing to do to write a book and to invest their own cash in getting it published is brave. I hope it's a success, at least they are doing it, not just talking about it, or thinking it's in them but not writing. It's easy to be critical but it's hard to put the words down in the first place.

It's always easier to edit someone's work then it is to start your own. Fair play to them - is what I say.

I almost feel, now that I have written a book, unless you have actually written a book yourself then you are not allowed to say that it's good or bad but only that you did, or didn't, enjoy it. Of course, that is ludicrous and everyone is entitled to slate, or praise, the book but it's a bit like your kids, or your family, you can say they are driving you nuts but if anyone from the outside slates them you want to punch their lights out! Writing, is hard work and it's personal.