Dont know what to do?

firstly I wasn't sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong place I appoligise.

Basically i strongly feel I have made a mistake by joining up so early. I rushed into joining straight from school but now seriously regret my decision. I am still in phase two but already turned 18 early this year so missed the daor window. So now I'm stuck untill I'm 22 unless there is a way out.

I thought I'd give it some time too see if it gets any better but I seem to just want to be here less and less and would prefer to carry on with my education untill uni and think about joining again afterwards. Of course I know there's easy ways to get out, but I don't want to do anything silly that would jeopardise any future chances of re joining I may have.

I've been in this mindset for the last 9 months and considered everything and know I definitley want out ASAP. I'm not being victimised or anything like that I just really do feel like it's not right for me at this point in time.

If anyone has any advice of anything I can do, or if it is at all possible to come out I would greatly appreciate it as I'm just feeling worse and worse as time goes on as it feels like I'm wasting so much time!

Any answers would be great.

Start drinking heavily.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
As much as there's a time bar for the MOD to get a decent return from their investment in your training and development, there's also a compelling reason not to keep soldiers who don't want to be soldiers.

I had a young guy in my Coy a couple of years ago. Bright as a button, good bloke- and an excellent soldier. Like you however, he wanted out, and wanted to further his education.

I felt at the time that keeping him beyond his wishes ultimately wouldn't do anybody any favours, and between the CO, Coy Comd and myself, we managed to get him out one year early.

The key to this, was that there was a Uni course starting around the time he wanted out, and he had a letter of acceptance from that Uni.

In other words - it is possible, but you'll need more than just "I think I've made a mistake". Look at your options, try to see it from all sides and ask yourself, what can I do for them to make the decision easier? Meat on the bone helps - get looking at your opportunities, try to get your feet in a few doors.

Most importantly, talk it over with your Pl Comd and see if you can both arrange a promising case to get you set on your way. Don't pin your hopes on anything though - worse case scenario, you may end up treading water for a couple of years. But if you're smart about it, you'll make the best of a bad situation and start getting busy doing courses etc while you bide your time. That's what I'm doing right now anyway, since I'm stuck at the back of beyond during my final posting - which is supposed to be the settling down one, btw.

See? Even when you're in year 24 and given most of your life to something, it can still f**k you in the ass! I suspect civvie st is no different either.

Good luck with it though.

The Wiz

Clanker
there's no easy way out or else a LOT of people would leave, you can try the usual, changing to Jehova's witness, getting a sick note etc, and it will just p!ss people off. Get your head down, try and set yourself up for civvie street, get qualified and leave with a good reference. When you are liable to sign off, don't let anyone scare you off (to my knowledge there is someone I know who is still in after 14 years, because he is scared of the RSM).

J

JWBenett

OP picture this...1976 blokes puking up in Reception Block and threatening to go AWOL, or worse. Kids missing home and writing out envelopes for Mum to get from the Army. 'They had arrived and they were safe' ish :)

Your basic and trade training will be tough, but take it from me it will be worth it. If you are having a wobble, it's normal. If it really is not for you then approach your DS. But if you got this far there must be good reasons, and you were of course enlisted so you must be the right stuff. See ?

You will be among good people also, probably some of the best you will ever meet in your whole life. And of course you'll see some of the worst. It was much worse forty years ago, I assure you. Alright the food was ten times better .

But if you do get through, nothing will beat your pass-out and that sense of achievement. If you decide to stay then make sure you outshine all the others and show the staff your mettle. Stay or go, but make the right decision anyway. Training never killed many recruits, you know. And, you would be part of the big society that won't fade, long after you've reached target rank and then sit encouraging young Toms on t'internet . Go on son surprise them all.

CQMS

LE
firstly I wasn't sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong place I appoligise.

Basically i strongly feel I have made a mistake by joining up so early. I rushed into joining straight from school but now seriously regret my decision. I am still in phase two but already turned 18 early this year so missed the daor window. So now I'm stuck untill I'm 22 unless there is a way out.

I thought I'd give it some time too see if it gets any better but I seem to just want to be here less and less and would prefer to carry on with my education untill uni and think about joining again afterwards. Of course I know there's easy ways to get out, but I don't want to do anything silly that would jeopardise any future chances of re joining I may have.

I've been in this mindset for the last 9 months and considered everything and know I definitley want out ASAP. I'm not being victimised or anything like that I just really do feel like it's not right for me at this point in time.

If anyone has any advice of anything I can do, or if it is at all possible to come out I would greatly appreciate it as I'm just feeling worse and worse as time goes on as it feels like I'm wasting so much time!

Any answers would be great.

Stick with it, things are not great in the civilian world. Unless your ambition is to be a homeless drug addict.

Second what CQMS says can you not look at doing an online degree? Sounds like your near the end of your Ph2 training even sticking it out til you qualify might make you look at it in a different light once you get to a working unit with less **** about factor/work at nights etc.

Get your head down, you never know you might enjoy the job.
If after a couple of years....you hate it BELT AN OFFICER.
You will go Colly, come out and fly through the ranks.

Your call

What trade?

Stick with it. It'll get loads better when you get to your unit, and if you're only 18, you can sign off at 22 and still go to uni. You'll have a bit of life experience and the girls will hang off you.

If you quit, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Stick with it, things are not great in the civilian world. Unless your ambition is to be a homeless drug addict.

It's a popular choice.

Thanks for all the promt responses, the main problem as I see it with sticking with it untill 22 is then having to do two years of college so wouldn't be starting uni untill 24 which would mean being 6 years older than the other students. And similarly that puts me 6 years behind my competition when looking for a job post uni.

I know it's differant at unit however even knowing what it's like I still strongly feel I'm not ready for it just yet, if at all. From the responses I think the best course of action will be to go through the coc and see if it gets me anywhere.

ACAB

LE
You are not in the 'Army', you are in Phase 2 training which, believe it or not, is nothing like being at your unit. You've come this far, grit your teeth and complete training. A whole new World of opportunity awaits you in your Unit.

NSP

LE
Thanks for all the promt responses, the main problem as I see it with sticking with it untill 22 is then having to do two years of college so wouldn't be starting uni untill 24 which would mean being 6 years older than the other students. And similarly that puts me 6 years behind my competition when looking for a job post uni.
No it doesn't, in terms of employability advantage. Absolutely not.

Who would you choose to employ if two individuals presented themselves equally at interview? The fresh-faced barely-matured person who's known nothing of life but full-time education and has no experience of anything other than student culture. Or the more mature, slightly older, confident, disciplined person with some life-, work- and possibly an amount of leadership experience behind them?

My old man was in middle-age when he read his degree, having spent time up to then variously being plod, social services and self-employed, and went straight into a very high-paying and rewarding job relevant to his degree on graduation.

There's nothing to lose and everything to gain from following the advice above and sticking with it.

To qualify the above I will point out that I am not ex-mil' but I have been to university and earned a degree - which has little to no relevance to what I do now but I wouldn't get a look-in to this industry at this level without one.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

bluenosewrx

Old-Salt
as a compromise start doing the work required to enter Uni while still serving, plenty of oppertunity for evening study etc, obviously the Majority of us just got Mortal in the Battery bar at nights and viewed the working week as build up training for a weekend of drinking in Mic Macs, while singing we are the monkeys while marching up to the Taxi rank from the Oak past the RMP station.

Do not leave mate, as said before you WILL regret it. you seem like a sensible chap unlike that other tosser a bit back who thought taking charlie was the right thing for a swift exit to civvy strasse.

Latest Threads