Dont have the grades

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Dadproud, Sep 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone

i want to join the RE to become an electrician but i don't have good English GCSE results. All my other GCSE's are C's and i have a distinction in sound engineering City & Guilds. Ive also done 6 years as an audio and video engineer. In this job i have been responsible for engineering million pound jobs. This is basically taking a load of equipment and making it work as a system on paper, then handing documentation that i have written to installers for them to install. Do you think they will let me be an electrician or will i end up just being an operator in the signals?

2. Would it be an idea to speak to a recruiter?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have but to be honest i have heard from ex soldiers that the recruiters are more like salesman and they don't really know what they are doing, so they put you in jobs that aid their pay bonus. i don't know if that's true. Im just curious to see if anyone else has been in my position and been successful.

4. Recruiters on a pay bonus? Wow! Things have changed. In my day, they had to put their own shillings in the bottom of the glass-bottomed tankard.

5. haha. thats only what ive heard.

6. I am not sure if it has changed since, but GSCE results where only kept for 5 years, and then destoryed.

Talking in to account what you say you do for work, I would not worry about it, as you need to be pretty switched on to last in that industry. I would not even mention them unless asked.

Have a look at the ED role, theres a bit more to it than being a conventional sparky, good and bad.

Dealing with recruiters, get what you want, and don't settle for anything less. once you are signed on, its a long time to be pissed off. If does not go the way you want, the TA has ED's. Always more than one way to skin it.

7. Is ED electrical draughtsman? sorry im not too clued up on the abbreviations.

8. Just go down and have a chat with the recruiter, they are there to help you make an informed decision. Some may be a bit biased towards their own regiment etc but no one is going to push you in a direction you don't want. Just be aware that with current manning levels that your choices may be limited for certain job roles.

9. Sadly it is true. AFCO staff are now paid a bonus to fill slots and headcounts and manning targets set by Glasgow. They get £129.63 per vacancy that they fill. They pay Tax & National Contributions on it so it works out at about £88 per vacancy they fill. I know a SSgt that made nearly £1200 extra pay last month on his bonus as a Salesman. If you can afford it just slip your recruiter £130 cash and he will place you in any Branch or Trade that you want.

• Like Like x 4
  10. That is a bit outrageous really. People risk their lives by joining the army and get pushed in to something they dont really want to do just so the guy who didnt want to risk his life gets a nice bonus. scum!!!

Thanks for your advice people. i will push for what i want and if i dont get it then i will have to better my grades. Im getting old though (in the eyes of the MOD, 27 pfffsshh) so i had better get on it soon.

11. If you slip the recruiter £175 he will also neuter you to prevent the gene pool being polluted by gullible DNA.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Damn, too late for that.
    Well killaloe_holiday is not the first person to tell me this. I work with alot of ex forces cause of the trade im in and they have all said the same thing.

13. Try losing your virginity before you join up as no-one should be THAT Nieve and a virgin during basic.

14. they might start as nieve virgin but they wont get past week 2 without both changing (******* shame querring is now legal)

15. I know mate. It's shocking my Nephew is a GP and wanted to join the RAMC as a Dr but was conned into joining the RLC as a Chef and was told he could apply after 36 months to be considered for a Transfer. He has done 14 months so far and good luck to him. All the best mate.