Don't have a clue?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by B_AND_T, May 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Started fishing a few years ago. 4lb line, No 2 hook, ragworm and a cast that was shit. But excuse the pun I was hooked!

I now have 10 rods, which has never been used, and more tackle than I could shake a shitty stick at. But I do not have a clue what to do with it!

Anyone in my local area, Salisbury(ish), can help?

2. stick it on fleabay, i bought a complete fishing kit two years ago from fleabay.

3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I don't want to shift the kit, I want to learn how to use it!

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Course or fly.

5. I understand your problem, very difficult thing to understand is fishing...... No really........ very difficult thing to understand!!

6. Sounds more like Sea although 4lb line sounds a bit light :)

7. Just find a river, stick a worm on a hook that's attached to fishing line, lob the hook covered worm in the water and wait a few hours. Then go home.

8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

OK. perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I started off fishing for Bass not really knowing what I was doing (sound like my last SJAR), but I got the bug.

I now have 10 rods and loads of tackle but I don't know which rod is used for what and what tackle to use.

I intend to do sea fishing but also a bit of Course. I have tried the fishing mags but unless you know what your doing they don't make alot of sense.

S4S, you're a knob!

9. If you are intent on learning, go along to your local River/Lake/Beach and ask!

Most Anglers are happy to pass on their knowledge to someone who shows genuine interest, ask if you can sit and observe what is going on - Ask!

I've been drowning bait for longer than I care to remember and the only time I would ignore anyone is if the first question was "What bait are you using"

I was once asked this question by a VERY famous Angler, he was fcuked off at the high port, sharpish, like!

Shame your'e not in my area, Mate, I'd be happy to help you out, no problem!

10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Cheers Arters!

11. From the post ref. the piss up in Salisbury, I presume you are in that area?

I was in Blandford for a while, there are some stonking venues in the area, don't worry if you cock up, the first time I went Beachcasting - closed season for Coarse, I hadn't a clue, my first cast was in the air for many seconds and landed about 3ft in front of me, I nearly shat myself.

Watch what you buy, don't become a Tackle Tart?????????

12. Go on google maps. From Salisbury the best place to start would be the shingle bank at Hurst castle, near Lymington in hampshire. Good fishing at the moment for bass and bream, short casts only are necessary, which is good if you are a beginner. ragworm and mackerel and squid good baits. Night fishing best. Good fresh bait available from Steve at Ashley Angling.

13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Cheers Arters, I know that feeling.

Will try that Stain. I know Lymington relatively well. Have tried a Mudeford and only got a baby cod. I planned to do the night fishing thing. Peace and quiet and a few tinnies without getting nagged.

14. A bit of good advice for you, the only part of your tackle that really matters is:- Hook, Bait and the connection to the main line, ie, Terminal Tackle, fish don't give a rats arse what rod/reel you are using.

I have been using 3x ESP Tracer rods for ages, I'm happy with 'em, so why spend a fortune replacing them?

TIGHT LINES!!!!!

15. Best Bass rod I ever had was a Clive Gammon double reverse taper* - you could lob a decent sized peeler crab without tearing the bait to pieces.
    All the rods I see these days are fast taper and although they can make terrific long distance casts I've always found them to be too powerful for delicate baits

* Some one else must have thought that it was a good rod because they borrowed it from me and never returned it - cnut