Don't focus too heavily on British success at the Olympics, BBC staff told

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pimpernel, Aug 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

ahem,, let me just clear my throat so Mr Thompson can hear me from here.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Septic sour grapes?

3. Slow news day at right wing propaganda central H.Q. today? :)
  4. The man is a twat, for example the US newspapers ONLY headline US competitors. Its the same the world over.
  5. "One media commentator, who wrote an open letter to the BBC, warned American journalists had been “puzzled” over coverage as presenters “struggled, and most often failed, to contain their excitement at Team GB’s golden streak”."

Yes, because American sports commentators are totally non partizan?

Anyone who watched US coverage of the Los Angeles and Atlanta Games could have been forgiven for getting the impression ONLY the USA had competed.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I am sure the beeb is run by yanks.
  7. Perhaps they are just upset that nobody is giving them all the attention for once.
  8. Not Yanks but *******!
  9. Same thing init?
  10. Just did a google on NBC and lo and behold what they say are their top stories of the London sports
  11. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

That just reflects all of their news coverage. I couldn't believe how parochial it was first time I ever travelled to the States.

Getting past the inclusive, right-on attitude at the top of the Beeb, which I think is appalling, there is a positive way of looking at this. Which is that so much of the rest of the world's news coverage is so piss-poor that even with its faults much of the rest of the world still looks to the BBC for real perspective.

On the other hand, if we're really to go down the path of balance and not upsetting anyone, ever, in any way, ever then news bulletins ought to run along the lines of, "A few things happened today and you're all entitled to an opinion on them. Now, the weather..."

Mr Thompson, I think BiscuitsAB had it right. How can you not look to provide news of relevance to the inhabitants of the country which provides your organisation with its name?
  12. I actually agree with him. We should focus less on how well GB are doing and more on how shit the Australian and French teams have been.
    • Like Like x 12
  13. What I find disgraceful about the BBC coverage is that after races, they only interview athletes who speak English.

Don't they realise that this is an international event?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Odd but I always thought the initials BBC stood for the British Broadcasting Corporation. Everyday's a schoolday.