Don't focus too heavily on British success at the Olympics, BBC staff told

Septic sour grapes?

One media commentator, who wrote an open letter to the BBC, warned American journalists had been “puzzled” over coverage as presenters “struggled, and most often failed, to contain their excitement at Team GB’s golden streak”.

"One media commentator, who wrote an open letter to the BBC, warned American journalists had been “puzzled” over coverage as presenters “struggled, and most often failed, to contain their excitement at Team GB’s golden streak”."

Yes, because American sports commentators are totally non partizan?

Anyone who watched US coverage of the Los Angeles and Atlanta Games could have been forgiven for getting the impression ONLY the USA had competed.

Perhaps they are just upset that nobody is giving them all the attention for once.

"One media commentator, who wrote an open letter to the BBC, warned American journalists had been “puzzled” over coverage as presenters “struggled, and most often failed, to contain their excitement at Team GB’s golden streak”."

Yes, because American sports commentators are totally non partizan?

Anyone who watched US coverage of the Los Angeles and Atlanta Games could have been forgiven for getting the impression ONLY the USA had competed.
That just reflects all of their news coverage. I couldn't believe how parochial it was first time I ever travelled to the States.

Getting past the inclusive, right-on attitude at the top of the Beeb, which I think is appalling, there is a positive way of looking at this. Which is that so much of the rest of the world's news coverage is so piss-poor that even with its faults much of the rest of the world still looks to the BBC for real perspective.

On the other hand, if we're really to go down the path of balance and not upsetting anyone, ever, in any way, ever then news bulletins ought to run along the lines of, "A few things happened today and you're all entitled to an opinion on them. Now, the weather..."

Mr Thompson, I think BiscuitsAB had it right. How can you not look to provide news of relevance to the inhabitants of the country which provides your organisation with its name?

What I find disgraceful about the BBC coverage is that after races, they only interview athletes who speak English.

Don't they realise that this is an international event?

Odd but I always thought the initials BBC stood for the British Broadcasting Corporation. Everyday's a schoolday.

What I find disgraceful about the BBC coverage is that after races, they only interview athletes who speak English.

Don't they realise that this is an international event?
If those forrin johhnies can't be bothered to learn the Queens English, why should we bother with learning their gibberish?
After all, English was good enough for Charlton Heston when he was talking with God.

That just reflects all of their news coverage. I couldn't believe how parochial it was first time I ever travelled to the States.

Getting past the inclusive, right-on attitude at the top of the Beeb, which I think is appalling, there is a positive way of looking at this. Which is that so much of the rest of the world's news coverage is so piss-poor that even with its faults much of the rest of the world still looks to the BBC for real perspective.

On the other hand, if we're really to go down the path of balance and not upsetting anyone, ever, in any way, ever then news bulletins ought to run along the lines of, "A few things happened today and you're all entitled to an opinion on them. Now, the weather..."

Mr Thompson, I think BiscuitsAB had it right. How can you not look to provide news of relevance to the inhabitants of the country which provides your organisation with its name?
Has the BBC always been as impartial as it claims? I'm know of at least one minor blip in the early 40s where they used to send secret messages to the Resistance groups but failed to relay messages for SS Das Reich or Liebstandarte. Outrageous. That nice Mr Schicklegruber suffered as a result.

If the BBC want to brand themselves as impartial fine, politically (domestically and internationally) I think they should be. But even then I think there is a limit. There was a point during the invasion of Iraq when they kept referring to our troops as British forces in a tone that suggested they belonged to another country. That gripped my faeces and brought the contents of my bladder to a level significantly above the ambient temperature.

Sport however is sport. If the BBC World service wish to present on a non-partisan basis then I can live with that. However, domestically, I expect them to get behind our athletes. It's their stories I want to follow. No-one moans when BBC football World Cup coverage is hopelessly pro England, I am sure if Scotland Wales ever qualified it woul be the same :) .

If we want to hear a bunch of foreign gibberish they could just talk to half of the G4S security guards.

T

Tremaine

Thompson will likely be going, this year in any case. This lightweight apologist has been just the man to head Guv's telly service for eight years, but he could actually grow a set and back his own country. The fence-wedgie twat.