Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Dont do drunk

Will it work?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Possibly a bit

• Not a chance - Pass me a tinny

• Total voters
Basically smoking style labels to stop people getting drunk... will it work? Can see why they're doing it but a LOT of people drink to get drunk...

The Times

"HEALTH warnings on cans of lager and bottles of beer and wine are being introduced to cut binge drinking.
The alerts are also being put up in pubs and off-licences and on menus and supermarket shelves. Messages such as, “If you do do drink, don’t do drunk”, are also appearing on pub beer mats.

About 80 per cent of beer and lager cans and bottles already bear messages urging consumers to drink sensibly and include information on the number of alcoholic units that they contain.

Bolder messages on labels in future, however, may say, “Don’t Do Drunk”. Caroline Flint, the Public Health Minister, is keen that such warnings will be common on all alcoholic drinks packs within two years.

She spoke out as a BBC survey of 54 hospital casualty units in the United Kingdom found that 34 were seeing more alcohol-related patients than five years ago. Twenty-five said that they had even treated 11 and 12-year-olds for binge drinking.

The minister has ruled out new laws to force companies to adopt alcohol warnings on labels, confident that the move will be achieved by agreement.

Pubs are trying to introduce a standard glass of wine to help consumers to keep note of their alcohol intake. A standard glass is 175ml, which is the equivalent of two units of alcohol. A 300ml half-pint glass of beer is the equivalent of one unit. Most wine consumed in the country is 13 to 14 per cent alcohol and beer is at 4.5 to 5 per cent strength.

Ms Flint is in talks with industry chiefs to decide the best messages and also to ensure consistent approaches throughout the brands.

She said last night: “Nobody is saying you can’t have a drink, but you know, think about your drinking and its consequences.”

She said that she was in a bar recently in Stockton-on-Tees in the North East and saw beer mats that showed the number of units in different drinks. “It was there on the bar, people could see that as they were waiting to be served.

“It is already happening. What we’ve got to look at is whether it is consistent, whether it’s understood by the public. ‘Don’t Do Drunk’ is a good example of what we encapsulate in what we are talking about here.”

New ways to curb sales of alcohol to underage drinkers and for landlords and bar staff more readily to refuse to serve people who had drunk to excess are also being explored.

The British Beer and Pub Association said that many sensible drinking messages were already seen on packs.

Mark Hastings, a spokesman, said: “We are trying to distinguish between responsible and irresponsible drinking. There are already big signs behind the bar in pubs, on menus, on cans and bottles and on beer mats. We support anything that helps people make better decisions about their drinking to ensure they don’t drink to excess.”

Scottish & Newcastle, the brewer, introduced the new labelling to Newcastle Brown Ale in 2004 and last year Diageo, which produces some of the country’s best known brands including Bell’s whisky, Smirnoff vodka, Gordon’s gin and Guinness, followed suit with labels giving nutritional information about drinks as well as their alcohol content.

PAYING THE PRICE FOR EXCESS

Last year the Home Office said antisocial binge drinkers could be banned from city centres and licensed premises for up to two years

It added that alcohol disorder zones could be set up in areas blighted by disorder. Licensed premises would have to pay a levy

Banning drinking alcohol on public transport was proposed but it would stop train passengers having a glass of wine in buffet cars

Other proposals include increasing the fine for off-licences selling to minors and doubling fines for drink-related offences

In Scotland ministers have announced a ban on happy hours and promotions that encourage quick drinking

The Scottish Executive is making restaurants and pubs that have charged for tap water provide it free, and offer non-alcoholic drinks at a “reasonable” price"

Fcuking ridiculous, I can hardly read when I'm sober, let alone when I'm pished.
So what's next? I 've just bought my Seat Marbella with optional wheels and I have to have the safety warning "Don't do multiple vehicle motorway pile ups"
It don't fcuking fit!

jimmys_best_mate said:
It'd be a lot more credible if it wasn't the same Government that legalised 24 hour drinking that was bringing it in.

That was more about reducing problems at "kicking out time" and trying to encourage sensible drinking, not "I must get drunk before 2300". Early statistics actually appear to support the government on this...

I do think it's a pointless exercise though

Here's an absolutely revolutionary idea. Hold on, because honestly you are going to wonder why nobody thought of this before.

Here's the basic theory.

If you can handle your drink and don't urinate in the street/ punch people/ vomit everywhere/ be a general pain in the arse, guess what?

The State leaves you alone to do what the hell you like without patronising you with stupid messages.

If, on the other hand, you are the sort of ******** who has to drink ten pints of strong lager and misbehvae in a town centre, guess what?

You get prosecuted and punished to the extent you don't or can't do it again. Not a fifty quid fine and a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, I should be in the government or something.

Vegetius said:
Here's an absolutely revolutionary idea. Hold on, because honestly you are going to wonder why nobody thought of this before.

Here's the basic theory.

If you can handle your drink and don't urinate in the street/ punch people/ vomit everywhere/ be a general pain in the arse, guess what?

The State leaves you alone to do what the hell you like without patronising you with stupid messages.

If, on the other hand, you are the sort of ******** who has to drink ten pints of strong lager and misbehvae in a town centre, guess what?

You get prosecuted and punished to the extent you don't or can't do it again. Not a fifty quid fine and a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, I should be in the government or something.
Have you copyrighted this or patented it or disabled right mouse click as this could be in the next Labour Manifesto and probably will be attributed to Bliar no doubt?

Maybe a better way to stop people drinking too much would be to restrict the hours drinking premises open. Oh, hang on, that's been tried over a short period - just over 90 years - seemed to work then...

Maybe the fashion of yoof going out with the sole intent of getting plastered to the point of unconciousness will die out eventually as all fads tend to do.

However, it's the Police and A&E departments who have to put up with this crap on a nightly basis. How about a hefty fine for being drunk in the street - say, £1000. £500 to the police and £500 to A&E. And another £1000 fine for the landlord who allows it to happen [split the same way].

And then make alcohol-related future illnesses fundable privately, NOT through the NHS. Why should the taxpayer pick up the bill?

Yoof will have less drinking sheets left and when their profits take a nose-dive, landlords will start enforcing existing laws.

I am in complete agreement with Vegetius et al on this.

One contributory factor to the violence and antisocial behaviour that goes on is drinks promotions that bars put on, presumably because the recent unrestricted growth of the number of licenced premises has led to competition between all the bars and clubs. There's obviously a great deal of money in it - so why not make the licencees pay for the extra police required.

Fullwit said:
Maybe a better way to stop people drinking too much would be to restrict the hours drinking premises open. Oh, hang on, that's been tried over a short period - just over 90 years - seemed to work then...

Maybe the fashion of yoof going out with the sole intent of getting plastered to the point of unconciousness will die out eventually as all fads tend to do.

However, it's the Police and A&E departments who have to put up with this crap on a nightly basis. How about a hefty fine for being drunk in the street - say, £1000. £500 to the police and £500 to A&E. And another £1000 fine for the landlord who allows it to happen [split the same way].

And then make alcohol-related future illnesses fundable privately, NOT through the NHS. Why should the taxpayer pick up the bill?

Yoof will have less drinking sheets left and when their profits take a nose-dive, landlords will start enforcing existing laws.

Give powers like this to plod, and (after a decent amount of high level politicking) PC's will be hanging around outside pubs nicking people so that they can fill their annual targets.

I agree with the sentiment though.

[align=center]
tinniesarrse4xx.gif
[/align]

:eek: