"Dont cut fighter jets" Chief of Air Staff

Well, that told me bugger all about what he actually said. Does anyone even know what think tank? It'd be nice to read a transcript if all we're going to get from the Torygraph is a secondhand account from a hack.

bbc had him talking about air and space power?

excuse me space power? :twisted:

Well, that told me bugger all about what he actually said. Does anyone even know what think tank? It'd be nice to read a transcript if all we're going to get from the Torygraph is a secondhand account from a hack.
...who appears not to have entirely understood key bits of the speech.

Is space power what they call an 'aspirational' capability!

I think his analysis about deploying large quantities of ground troops is spot on, after Afghanistan is done with the old nation building game is going to be put back into the loft and left to gather dust

Don't cut fighter jets, but don't buy anymore either! We need Close Air Support, not whizzy whoopy little jets that drop bombs from 25000ft! and have their crew back in time for tea and medals!

The silly sod is sprouting the same rubbish the RAF came up with in Iraq in 1921

I read something the other day about CAS in Palestine and Iraq in the twenties, the Army and RAF had it down to 15 minutes reaction time, bit like today!

I think what the AVM said made a lot of sense

tropper66 said:
The silly sod is sprouting the same rubbish the RAF came up with in Iraq in 1921
It isn't silly - and you've been spouting the same ill-informed rubbish since you got a login here. Are you just bitter because nobody talks about the IRA any more?

Its a well known fact that cuts are forthcoming & defence projects are being scaled back or delayed due significant overspend and project delays, the 2 Carriers for example would be far too expensive to cancel due to clauses in their contracts & the MOD overlooked or blantily ignored this vital factor but there are also other factors involved,

The RAF chiefs are only doing the same as the Heads of the other 2 Services & fighting their 'own' corner of which inevitably comprimises 'will' have to made but it's down to the Chiefs to keep the strategic damage to a bare minimum,

There was a thread on here not so long ago in ref to the Naval Chief stating issues globally & not allowing the UK to drop it's guard due to the pure focus on Afghanistan/ME,

Iran is a thorn in the Governments side, Africa & Korea are far distance thoughts for the foreseeable future, and untill the UN can get other countries to booster further troop reinforcements Afghanistan 'will be' the sole focus & air support is still crucial but targeting area's within the RAF without a direct affect on Ops & training is something Mr Dalton & Co have a hard task ahead of them.

the RAF is well-suited and prepared to be the lead Service for Defence
Lead Service? I am beyond words.

Edit:

Actually this is probably the worst of the 3 Service head's speeches so far - simply a give us more money than the other two and it's wrong.

Minimise strategic damage of the forthcoming cuts is a good brief for him, as mentioned earlier, and chucking all that money on ultra high level capability is a massive waste.

e_v

Eh? The bit about the light blue being the lead service in defence was very, very specific - saying that he thought the crabs are best placed to take the lead in defence efforts regarding space and defending cyberspace; both areas where the crabs have some expertise.

Now, it might be debated as to whether the light blue expertise in cyber is sufficiently far enough ahead of the RN and Army for this claim to take the leading position in a joint effort in this field to have legs, but the quote you've given makes it sound as though Dalton was claiming that the RAF should be the lead service for defence overall, which - as anyone who's read the opening bit of the speech will be aware - isn't exactly what he was trying to say.

Latest Threads