"Dont cut fighter jets" Chief of Air Staff

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Feb 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, that told me bugger all about what he actually said. Does anyone even know what think tank? It'd be nice to read a transcript if all we're going to get from the Torygraph is a secondhand account from a hack.

2. bbc had him talking about air and space power?

excuse me space power? :twisted:

3. He's right, we shouldn't cut the jets - just give them to the Navy...

4. ...who appears not to have entirely understood key bits of the speech.

5. Yes - space power

FASOC

6. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Is space power what they call an 'aspirational' capability!

I think his analysis about deploying large quantities of ground troops is spot on, after Afghanistan is done with the old nation building game is going to be put back into the loft and left to gather dust

7. cuting any part ofthe armed forces is ****ing stupid. but hey, who cares as long as foreign aid is ringfenced, right?

8. Don't cut fighter jets, but don't buy anymore either! We need Close Air Support, not whizzy whoopy little jets that drop bombs from 25000ft! and have their crew back in time for tea and medals!

9. The silly sod is sprouting the same rubbish the RAF came up with in Iraq in 1921

10. You mean the rubbish which did exactly what the British goverment and the colonial office wanted it to do?

11. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I read something the other day about CAS in Palestine and Iraq in the twenties, the Army and RAF had it down to 15 minutes reaction time, bit like today!

I think what the AVM said made a lot of sense

12. So how do you propose getting that without "whizzy whoopy little jets"? Go on, say super tucano..I dare you :)

13. Basically he is saying cut the others make the RAF big with lots of new toys and hey presto, a war winner!