Dont call them insurgents

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by crabtastic, Dec 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just when I reach the depths of despair about The Shaved Chimp's ramblings, along comes Rummy to provide some much needed comic relief:

I imagine the new CJCOS is still stood on the carpet in front of The Don's desk even now. Good on him, though.
  2. Could this be his way out of explaining (ie clearing his conscience) the difference between the iraqi insurgents and the anti-communist guerillas that the US backed during the coldwar? :roll:
  3. Or that PIRA were filed under "Legitimate Freedom Fighters" on Capitol Hill for so many happy shamrock wearing top 'o the morning bejesus and begorrah decades - until they experienced first hand that mass murder of civilians tends to be a counter indication of democratic and peaceful intentions.
  4. Must be a Secretary of Defense thing: I wonder what made Dick Cheney change his mind from the view he held in 1992. More than a decade ago defended the decision to leave Saddam Hussein in power after the first Gulf War. President George H.W. Bush was criticized for pulling out before U.S. forces could storm Baghdad, allowing Saddam to remain in power and eventually setting the stage for the invasion of Iraq ordered by his son.

"And the question in my mind is how many additional American casualties is Saddam worth?" Cheney said then in response to a question. "And the answer is not very damned many. So I think we got it right, both when we decided to expel him from Kuwait, but also when the president made the decision that we'd achieved our objectives and we were not going to go get bogged down in the problems of trying to take over and govern Iraq." Going to Baghdad, Cheney said in 1992, would require a much different approach militarily than fighting in the open desert outside the capital, a type of warfare that U.S. troops were not familiar, or comfortable fighting.
    "All of a sudden you've got a battle you're fighting in a major built-up city, a lot of civilians are around, significant limitations on our ability to use our most effective technologies and techniques," Cheney said. "Once we had rounded him up and gotten rid of his government, then the question is what do you put in its place? You know, you then have accepted the responsibility for governing Iraq."

Dick it is.
  5. One suggestion I've heard is that the insurgents should be refered to as "mufsidoon", an Arabic word taken from the Koran meaning "evil doers". This term would be immediately identified with by Arabic-speaking muslims and encompass both terrorists in Iraq and AQ henchmen in general.

Mind it would be amusing hearing GW trying to pronounce it, "m-m-muffy-dis-tinctly-minty-buffoon" :lol:
  6. :lol: Thats awesome!

T C
  7. Well I think the shaitaniyah mufsidoon are getting there arrses kicked in this Hirabah by Uncle Sam. Many of them have been sent to Jahannam.

- Could you imagine W getting that lot in a speech!!
  8. Was driving back to Shaiaba from Basrah A/P when Rumsfelds C130 came in for his first visit to theatre after the "war" "finished" wish I'd shot the fcuker down now.

9. Bin laden and Al Qaeda have already been described as 'mufisdoon' or 'muharib' by many scholars who have declared their activities as being hirabah but I think those of even liberal sunni persuation would be loathed to extend this term to Iraqi Insurgents. I would say that it would also be unwise for westerners to label even Al Qaeda as mufisdoon it has to be a muslim initiative.
  10. Good point, well taken.
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well, IM (very humble)O, and going from the original post, Rumfeld is quite correct with his refusing to use 'insurgents' as a name for the Iraqi bombers etc. If the definition is

12. Authority may not have been established but what about the UN resolution of 2004 that legtimised the presence of the allied forces under the the pretext that their presence had been requested by the interim and now transitional Iraqi governement?
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Therefore the authority lies in New York. 8O Sorry I had to put that in.

Was trying, very unsuccessfully to inject irony with semantics. :cry:
  14. 'dissatisfied local indigenous population' - D'oh! Now I get it, sorry about that :oops:
  15. So them thar 'Insurgents' will be 'Stills' then ???? :lol: