"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" finally ends!

Discussion in 'US' started by leprecon, Sep 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The US Military has finally entered the 21st century, and now allows gays to openly serve.

BBC News - 'Don't ask, don't tell' ban on gays in US military ends

"A policy banning open homosexuality in the US military has been repealed after nearly two decades.

The dropping of "don't ask, don't tell" means service members can now reveal they are gay without fear of investigation or discharge.

"Repeal Day" parties have been organised across the country to mark the victory for gay rights."

Apparently 97% of the US Armed Forces have had to attend 'training days' on new ways to act.

Any serving members attended one of these days?
  2. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

You shouldn't ask, because I won't tell.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. It turns out that it will make sod all diference to military effectiveness. I thought it would affect it back in the day, but I was wrong. Gay people are no better or worse soldiers than anybody else. You only get a breakdown of discipline when coercion through the use of your rank is used to put pressure on a lower rank to get them into bed. When that happens regardless of what sex you shag you should get the book thrown at you. The same would apply for any other uniformed service. On a wider scale it is not the specific admittance of gay people that has afflicted Western armies (not our enemies of course), but the Tsunami of PC Health and Safety Human Rights bullshit that is trying to force the Army to adopt unrealistic Civilian mores.

British army but wouldn't attend a "training day" for Homosexualists any more than I'd take a training day on Spanking, Golden Showers or what I consider any other niche sexual hobby. Locked in a room for a day with a Council Diversity & Outreach Co-Ordinator asking me about my feelings and pretending to menstruate is on par with Dante's Ninth Circle of Hell. I suppose I'd get some kip.

But as I say it will have no effect on anybody who isn't over compensating. What will have a military effect is the above examples and treasonous tosspots like Bradley Manning believing their "oppression" gives them the right to betray their country. Executing a few of them Admiral Byng style will do wonders for military effectiveness. Ditto discipline in camp and respect for the rank structure, both up and down.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Homosexuals are gay
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Bit of a sweeping statement there mate, some of the homosexuals I know are right miserable bastards.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. So we can expect 300,000 homosexual recruits banging the recruiting centers doors down tommorrow?

Thought not, just another PC victory which does nothing for readiness, morale, or cohesiveness.

Another Protected species in the US military. Call someone a fag because he doesnt perform, lose career over EO complaint. meanwhile Bradley ******* Manning who wants to be a she committs treason because of a spat with his lover is some ******* hero to the civvies instead of being hanged.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I bet that giant whoopsie Jumpingjarhead is relieved.
    • Like Like x 1

8. When actually you will find it will make absolutely no difference at all, the pillars of military doctrine will continue as before, just like every other western armed force.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

"...service members can now reveal they are gay without fear of investigation or discharge."

What an unfortunate choice of words.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. But with better soft furnishings.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Will man love Thursdays be extended to cope with the increased demand?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Goldbricker: "So we can expect 300,000 homosexual recruits banging the recruiting centers doors down tommorrow?"

Back doors I think.
  13. Big deal. The US Army will carry on normal jogging, just as the British Army did.

Who were the 3% who didn't have to attend? :)
  14. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

This is great news, er, for hermer yanks. It doesn't seem to affect any of us though, except maybe the Padre and Jarrod, and at least one of those doesn't give a shit and isn't serving anymore.
  15. A genuine question (for the first and last time);

Do the US forces allow transgender personnel to carry on serving after the operation to remove / add their working parts?