Dongling Broadbandly

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by putteesinmyhands, Aug 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm ashamed to admit this, but my wife is a Big Brother fan. Worse still, she's subscribed to the live feed. The final kick out is in two weeks or so and coincides with my leave, when I intend to get away for a while and so will be broadbandless.

I've come up with an idea that may keep me in her good books - one of these broadband dongle thingys. The technical jargon that describes them is beyond my talents, so I haven't a clue what to go for. So just what is needed to feed the addict? We're talking non-stop live feed for 14 hours per day. Can dongles handle the streaming and will it cost a fortune?

2. Hi Puttees,
    I use "three" when away from home and cannot fault it to be honest.
    If you go on their website it has a coverage map and as such can see if its going to work where you will be .
    It costs (last time i looked) £10 per gb and i,m guess ing if your streaming video it isnt going to be cheap. edit that just checked on three and its 7gb allowance will set you back £25. Not sure how long that would last streaming video though.
    I,m sure one of the more switched on cookies will be along shortly to tell you more.

Kind regards,

RM

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Save yourself some money and just kill her for having a distinct lack of taste!

If you are staying in an hotel are they likely to have wifi?

4. My O2 dongle (£20 initial outlay, £10 or £15 for thirty days 1 or 2Gb max download) includes free, unlimited download access to BT Openzone and The Cloud Wifi hotspots. They have a hotspot locater (a live list of locations) so if you want, I can tell you where the nearest ones will be to where you are staying.

5. Divorce would be cheaper

6. I don't think that you've grasped the concept of BB addiction - or marriage, for that matter. Any attempt to kill her would involve distracting her from the box and that would be suicidal.

7. I considered hotspots. Many are free, not requiring a dongle. But few are open from 08:00 to 04:00 and the proprietor may well take exception to someone hogging a seat for that duration.

My brother lives about 2 miles from my Dad's place (where we'll be during the critical phase) and he has broadband. So, 2 miles of CAT5 or a rebro network of wireless routers???

Is there some way of measuring how many Gb of download you're using?

8. True, but then I'd lose my broadband connection to ARRSE, so it would just defer the problem.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Yup. Most dongles should tell you that in their management App.

10. I want to know how many Gb she's currently using so that I can determine whether a dongle and contract can keep up with it. She just needs about a week's worth of access (actually Fri - Wed) so PAYG is the favoured contract.

11. Thanks roger, that's looks just the job. Now I've just got to wait until 04:00 so that I can install it on her laptop without disturbing her viewing...

Cheers!

12. Hi again,
    If you have your own pc/laptop whack it on that and say watch bbc news online at least you will be spared streaming big brother or is that steaming !! Anyway most streaming uses about that same bandwidth unless it is hd.
    Then in the darkest depths of the night you wont need to peel said laptop off mrs puttees job jobbed !

Kind regards

RM