Done Your Duty Today?

my son, the lawyer, sends me bits on obscure laws from time to time.. this one got me thinking..have you Brit boys done your duty lately?

apparently, unrevoked and still on the books is the law that all British males over the age of 14 must carryout two hours of longbow practise each day.

still, it doesn't compare for the WTF? laws of the USA. At least the Brit law has some practical application as it was intended to keep citizens in fighting condition for defence of the realm..

in Kentucky it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six feet long

and in, Florida unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed..

oh, the mind of men..

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
That's a daft law that is! Unmarried women should be forced to parachute on Sundays, with skirts on, over major towns, and no knickers, using the sort of parachutes that come down REALLY slowly.

I myself do indeed practice longbow for two hours everyday. I've got the blisters to prove it, both on me c0ck and me hands.

Isnt there one, I thinks its in Nevada where it is Illegal to carry an Ice cream in your pocket?

Rocketeer said:
my son, the lawyer, sends me bits on obscure laws from time to time.. this one got me thinking..have you Brit boys done your duty lately?

apparently, unrevoked and still on the books is the law that all British males over the age of 14 must carryout two hours of longbow practise each day.

still, it doesn't compare for the WTF? laws of the USA. At least the Brit law has some practical application as it was intended to keep citizens in fighting condition for defence of the realm..

in Kentucky it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six feet long

and in, Florida unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed..

oh, the mind of men..
Oh for sure,examples include:

It is still an offence to beat or shake any carpet rug or mat in any street in the Metropolitan Police District, although you are allowed to shake a doormat before 8am.
The English law is key to shaping the society we live in today but along with important legislation lies a wealth of amazing archaic rules.

For example did you know that it is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour or that until 1976 cab drivers were required by law to carry a bale of hay to feed a horse?

In some cases what must have been a necessary law at the time still stands centuries later.

It is still illegal for cabbies to carry rabid dogs or corpses and by law they must ask all passengers if they have small pox or the plague.
Source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4527223.stm

At a slight tangent but interesting to sad gits like me - The Brits were feared for their skill with a longbow and it's where the two fingered salute originated from, the bowmen would just just stand and stick their drawing fingers up, generally to the French as a sign of defiance..a large percentage of the time the French would beat a hasty retreat...nothing much changes over the years :)

Theres definately one in USA (I think Texas but not sure) where its illegal to take a Lion to the cinema.
Is it true that you can legally kill someone with a longbow within the city walls of Nottingham? Thats got to be codshiite.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
On reading your thread title my first thought was "Whats it to you, weirdo?", because when I was little me Mum used to say "Have you done your duty?"

Meaning "Have you had a shite?" Thus beginning a long, subliminal association between duty and shite.

In later life I always meant to ask where it came from. But me Mum was a WREN in her early years and me Dad was RM. Some questions are best left unasked.

Theres loads of these arcane laws. In Utah it is illegal to hunt whales with a lance. True.

And in the London Borough of Chelsea it is illegal to buy beer at the weekend without calling in a loud voice "Up Manyoo Yabass".

Manyoo Yabass was a Chieftain who saved Chelsea from marauding Vikings in 1786. Its worth knowing if you ever visit Chelsea.

northernrogue said:
Theres definately one in USA (I think Texas but not sure) where its illegal to take a Lion to the cinema.
Is it true that you can legally kill someone with a longbow within the city walls of Nottingham? Thats got to be codshiite.
Of course it's codshiite. You mean shooting Welshmen from the walls Chester!

Biped said:
That's a daft law that is! Unmarried women should be forced to parachute on Sundays, with skirts on, over major towns, and no knickers, using the sort of parachutes that come down REALLY slowly.

I myself do indeed practice longbow for two hours everyday. I've got the blisters to prove it, both on me c0ck and me hands.
The short skirts and no knickers are definately worn where im living by the young lovelies and seeing its Colchester I will be payng more attention to female parchutists in future :wink:

It should be made law that you can give young CHAV cnuts a kicking without fear of prosecution for hanging around in gangs in your street after 2100hrs.

EX_STAB said:
northernrogue said:
Thats the badger

It's an offence to gather in groups of 100 or more and storm a police station?

EX_STAB said:
northernrogue said:
I think you'll find it's Jocks from York's walls 8)

Social_Handgrenade said:
EX_STAB said:
northernrogue said:
I think you'll find it's Jocks from York's walls 8)
Im sure your correct with a Welshman from within the walls of Nottingham aswell. I dont think it would stand up in court though, saying that if your a CHAV they seem to be getting away with stabbing people in Nottingham and getting away with it :x

It is also illegal to beat your wife with any stick that is thicker than your thumb - hence "rule of thumb"

Oh how Mrs Baiter loves that one - it's saved her from serious injury on many an occasions, just a few light welts instead.

Back in 13-something king Edward the whatever made football illegal because the serfs were missing their archery practice. To my knowledge this has never been repealed either...

Pocoyo:

IIRC the two fingers was supposed to be because the French were rumored to cut the fingers off British archers to make them useless thus the salute was to show the Frogs that they were fully functioning... I think that this was debunked as an origin of the salute though...

here's a few loony laws from america.

Alabama

It is illegal to play dominoes on Sunday

It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.

Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death

ARKANSAS

A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month

Flirtation between the members of the opposite sex on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term

California

Wearing a sweatshirt inside-out is deemed a "threatening misdemeanor" in Half-Moon Bay.

Peeling an orange in your hotel room is banned in California

Prostitutes in San Francisco are not obliged to make change for bills larger than $50

In Blythe, California, a person must own two cows in order to legally wear cowboy boots in public

In Los Angeles, a man is legally entitled to beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can't be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife's consent to beat her with a wider strap

It is illegal to set a mousetrap without a hunting license

Colorado

In Denver, it is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next door neighbor

that California law that requires ownership of at least two cows before being allowed to wear the boots sounds perfectly good to me..proof that you're the genuine article and not a cowboy walt or a line dancing poofter..

fake moustache in church is okay if it isn't funny, though..
rather subjective law..
I've seen some real but dodgy looking taches on some folk lurking in the bapistry...

Rocketeer said:
I've seen some real but dodgy looking taches on some folk lurking in the bapistry...
Try looking at the Taches that lurk around the faces on operational tours, and thats just the female soldiers. :twisted: