Done Your Duty Today?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Rocketeer, Aug 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. my son, the lawyer, sends me bits on obscure laws from time to time.. this one got me thinking..have you Brit boys done your duty lately?

apparently, unrevoked and still on the books is the law that all British males over the age of 14 must carryout two hours of longbow practise each day.

still, it doesn't compare for the WTF? laws of the USA. At least the Brit law has some practical application as it was intended to keep citizens in fighting condition for defence of the realm..

in Kentucky it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six feet long

and in, Florida unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed..

oh, the mind of men..

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's a daft law that is! Unmarried women should be forced to parachute on Sundays, with skirts on, over major towns, and no knickers, using the sort of parachutes that come down REALLY slowly.

I myself do indeed practice longbow for two hours everyday. I've got the blisters to prove it, both on me c0ck and me hands.

3. Isnt there one, I thinks its in Nevada where it is Illegal to carry an Ice cream in your pocket?

4. Oh for sure,examples include:

Source:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4527223.stm

5. At a slight tangent but interesting to sad gits like me - The Brits were feared for their skill with a longbow and it's where the two fingered salute originated from, the bowmen would just just stand and stick their drawing fingers up, generally to the French as a sign of defiance..a large percentage of the time the French would beat a hasty retreat...nothing much changes over the years :)

6. Theres definately one in USA (I think Texas but not sure) where its illegal to take a Lion to the cinema.
    Is it true that you can legally kill someone with a longbow within the city walls of Nottingham? Thats got to be codshiite.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

On reading your thread title my first thought was "Whats it to you, weirdo?", because when I was little me Mum used to say "Have you done your duty?"

Meaning "Have you had a shite?" Thus beginning a long, subliminal association between duty and shite.

In later life I always meant to ask where it came from. But me Mum was a WREN in her early years and me Dad was RM. Some questions are best left unasked.

Theres loads of these arcane laws. In Utah it is illegal to hunt whales with a lance. True.

And in the London Borough of Chelsea it is illegal to buy beer at the weekend without calling in a loud voice "Up Manyoo Yabass".

Manyoo Yabass was a Chieftain who saved Chelsea from marauding Vikings in 1786. Its worth knowing if you ever visit Chelsea.

8. Of course it's codshiite. You mean shooting Welshmen from the walls Chester!

9. The short skirts and no knickers are definately worn where im living by the young lovelies and seeing its Colchester I will be payng more attention to female parchutists in future :wink:

It should be made law that you can give young CHAV cnuts a kicking without fear of prosecution for hanging around in gangs in your street after 2100hrs.

10. Thats the badger

11. It's an offence to gather in groups of 100 or more and storm a police station?

12. I think you'll find it's Jocks from York's walls 8)

13. Im sure your correct with a Welshman from within the walls of Nottingham aswell. I dont think it would stand up in court though, saying that if your a CHAV they seem to be getting away with stabbing people in Nottingham and getting away with it :x

14. It is also illegal to beat your wife with any stick that is thicker than your thumb - hence "rule of thumb"

Oh how Mrs Baiter loves that one - it's saved her from serious injury on many an occasions, just a few light welts instead.

15. Go on!! stop taking the Mickey.. we all know that one is cobblers..nearly go me though!! :D