Done up like a kipper in the careers office!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by inbredyokel666, Mar 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not dripping about my time in green kit, but was anyone else channeled into a corps they never considered when they walked into the careers office?
    I went into the careers office many moons ago, and did the I want to join the army routine .
    Filling in the rain forest of paperwork, I indicated my three choices for desired Regiment/Corps.
    I put down for Slime, teeny weeny airways, and The Paras.
    The bloke dealing with my case was from gunners (you can already see where this is going), he gave me the good news...I could apply for the corps I wanted.
    Short version Int Corps-9 month waiting list, Air Corps, 6 months waiting list, Para...oh mate a skinny little runt like you? You’ll have a helluva time getting through…never mind the 6 month waiting list, due to the sheer amount of nails blokes trying to get in....we had a lad in here last year-failed, red cape, red boots tall buildings, single bound etc etc.
    Oh…do you have any suggestions?
    Well, The Gunners have slots for seismologists starting end of the month.
    They do?
    And they have para/commando/SF assets as well.
    They do?...erm OK I try them fellas then.
    Fast forward to Woolwich Barracks.
    What’re you here for?
    Gunner Tech-seismology.
    You wot???
    errrr...Gunner Tech-seismology.
    Wot the f***in’ ‘ell is one of them? You got gunner-weapons, gunner-driver or gunner-signals…Wot one is you?
    wanna be a seismologist...mumble mumble.
    Blur of movement…slap….OW!
    Get over there pondlife. You’re a f***in’ signaller, cos’ you clearly can’t f***in’ 'ear properly!

My long and laboured point is this.
    When you joined, did the careers office (aka lying b@st@rds) use “artistic licence” and “creatively vocalise” about the various tasks undertaken by your “chosen” arm/unit to get you aboard?
    I doubt very much that I'm the only one this happened to.

2. No mate it is just you - bad luck.

3. Yep waiting for basic now, managed to get skiffed into my local reg even though i wanted rifles and special observer - looking back at it now dont know how the fcuk he managed to do that.

4. That did give me a giggle reading that thanks

5. You and so many others had that route it seems.

Personally i had the very opposite, when i first went into the ACO, all the staff were Guards, mainly Grenadier, which suited me down to the ground, as that was what i wanted to join.

I took the tests, had the interviews and went my merry way upto Harrogate.
    There i did the same old tests with a bit of physical thrown in, had several more interviews, and then got my grade and which units/corps i could go into.
    As i had only put Grenadier Guards down as my 3 choices, i wasnt worried.
    But, i was told there were no places available at that time, and i should, as i was able to do anything else, go for, air tech or inst tech or any of the tech trades that there was.
    This wasnt my goal and despite the strange look from the interviewing officers, i said i would leave it until a place in the Guards came up.

So back to the ACO, and there was told to re-apply in six months, which i did, and as i didnt have to do the basic tests again, i was bundled off to Sutton Coldfield.
    More tests and physicals, and the final final final interview, where i was asked why i didnt want a tech trade.
    After several more "i give up" looks from the panel, i was given my place in the Grenadiers and off i went.

So for me, it was perfect apart from no places first time around, but i got what i always wanted in the end.
    That was back in the early eighties though, so i guess things have changed a fair bit since then.

6. I went in for the usual round of tests and interviews, scored quite high which qualified me for a trade. Was told by a 15th 19th H behind the desk that all the trades were full apart from the veterinary corps for at least a year, but the RAC would take me straight after my Sutton Coldfield tests, "dont worry about it, they always let you transfer out after the first couple of weeks and its actually a quicker way into the REME" were his parting words as he issued me a travel warrant. GIT

7. Gunner Tech-seismology ?? This is a giant wah surely ?? Did they put anything in writing ??

Ask them for Trooper Gynecologist

8. If you wanted to go into the Para's you should of gone on one of their Insight week-ends at Colchester and they would have helped you get in.

9. I got my class one for that :wink:

10. Yep,

Went into the AFCO looking to join the Engineers, and ended up in the Int Corps. The thing was that I when the Sgt who was interviewing me asked if I had heard of the Corps, I said no. I did ask for some literature to give me some idea, but they didn't have any. I asked what they could tell me, but she seemed to lack that knowledge and mumbled about intelligence. So here I am in the Glorious Corps, pretty much on faith alone. Not that I am complaining though. I have had a pretty good career in the Int Corps and would recommend it to anyone who wants to join.

Ish.

11. Yep,

Went into the AFCO looking to join the Engineers, and ended up in the Int Corps. The thing was that I when the Sgt who was interviewing me asked if I had heard of the Corps, I said no. I did ask for some literature to give me some idea, but they didn't have any. I asked what they could tell me, but she seemed to lack that knowledge and mumbled about intelligence. So here I am in the Glorious Corps, pretty much on faith alone. Not that I am complaining though. I have had a pretty good career in the Int Corps and would recommend it to anyone who wants to join.

Ish.

12. I originally wanted to join the RAC (9/12L). When I went to the ACIO the recruiting Sgr told me that there was a long waiting list to get into the RAC, but he suggested that I join the Infantry instead and could simply re-badge shortly after completing basic and getting to the Bn. Well that was in October 1984 and here I am still an Infanteer (well until next month when I get out). Moral = never believe an Infantry recruiting Sgt!

13. Inbredyokel666 ... hope that you never mentioned that username at the careers office ... I guess this sort of thing has been happening since recruiting began. So much easier to persuade a young chap to join a different Corps/Regiment when they are keen as mustard and just want to join as quickly as possible!

Now my experience is very different but it does date back to 1975! in the careers office I was 'provisionally accepted RE and then on to the three day selection (at Corsham in those days!!!) where on day two I was told that there were no JL places available in the RE!! The very nice Guards officer then told me that there were places for a tall, strapping lad like me in the Guards ... for tall strapping read gangly young cnut! I said that i was only really interested in my first choice and was told that I could get a place in the RE but it would mean a 12 month wait and I would miss the opportunity to join as JL. I told them that, whilst deeply disappointed, I would wait and join later as an adult soldier.

Funny old thing, the following day they found a slot for me as a JL RE ... having pulled in a lot of favours of course! At Dover I met a lot of guys like me who had been told the same and had also got that elusive last place. I wonder how any lads took the offered alternative and had terrific careers elsewhere despite the initial disappointment?

14. I was told by the 15th 19th hussar recruiter, that i was to tall for the tanks (6ft4), He told me to get a trade. Little did i know him and my dad had a chat and my dad didnt want me to leave the army without a trade(my dad is ex 15th 19th). Looking back, i'm glad the interfeering old sh1t stuck his oar in :)

15. Almost everyone who joined the Gordon Highlanders in the 1980s was told that the Battalion was being posted to Hong Kong in the near future by the recruiters. "It might not be the next posting but it will definetly be the one after that". Strangely enough the Gordons didn't go anywhere near HK.