DON 5 and DON 10

Just reread Spike Milligans War collection. Noticed the R.A was using DON 5 back then so was the R.Sigs too ?

Also is DON 10 just 2 x more strands in it ? is there a DON 20 ? and WTF does DON stand for?

Awaits incoming:)

We used to use it to piss the LAD off by driving over it on Soltau thereby wrapping it as tightly as it would around the roadwheels like some kind of insane wire bazooka plate. Oh happy days.

Each core has 7 strands of wire, 4 of which are plated copper wire and 3 strands of steel wire for toughness.

So no.
Yes, those steel strands could be quite sharp as I recall, sharp enough to puncture skin as you were trying to terminate a handset as I recall. No idea what DON stood for mind, good question though.

According to the K Lacey website, who still manafacture it, it is simply D 10 telephone cable Mk4. DON 10 was a nickname.

Isn't DON somesort of Navy thing? I don't know why, but for some reason or another I announced my radio serial number was DON 10 (it was D10) to the Instructor chappy and he responded 'We're not in the fcuking Navy'...

I think I am right that Don was the phonetic alphabet for D in those days. as in S for Sugar etc.

Not wishing to be WAH'ed but DON was used for D in the World War 1 phonetic alphabet.

Don was the letter D in an early form of phonetic alphabet used by the RAF between 1924 and 1942, so Don 5 or Don 10 was just D5 or D10. Anyone remember the Toc H canteen on some camps? Toc was T in the same alphabet.

Ace
Beer
Charlie
Don
Edward
Freddie
George
Harry
Ink
Johnnie
King
London
Monkey
Nuts
Orange
Pip
Queen
Robert
Sugar
Toc
Uncle
Vic
William
X-ray
Yorker
Zebra

[TABLE="width: 663"]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #F1EFEF"]Royal Navy[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F1EFEF"]Western Front slang
or “signalese”[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F1EFEF, colspan: 2"]RAF phonetic alphabet[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F1EFEF"]US phonetic alphabet[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #F1EFEF, colspan: 2"]1914–1918 (WWI)[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F1EFEF"]1924–1942[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F1EFEF"]1943–1956[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F1EFEF"]1941–1956[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: over"]
[TD="bgcolor: #FFFEE9"]Apples
Butter
Charlie
Duff
Edward
Freddy
George
Harry
Ink
Johnnie
King
London
Monkey
Nuts
Orange
Pudding
Queenie
Robert
Sugar
Tommy
Uncle
Vinegar
Willie
Xerxes
Yellow
Zebra[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #FFFEE9"]Ack
Beer
Charlie
Don
Edward
Freddie
Gee
Harry
Ink
Johnnie
King
London
Emma
Nuts
Oranges
Pip
Queen
Robert
Esses
Toc
Uncle
Vic
William
X-ray
Yorker
Zebra[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #FFFEE9"]Ace
Beer
Charlie
Don
Edward
Freddie
George
Harry
Ink
Johnnie
King
London
Monkey
Nuts
Orange
Pip
Queen
Robert
Sugar
Toc
Uncle
Vic
William
X-ray
Yorker
Zebra[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #FFFEE9"]Able/Affirm
Baker
Charlie
Dog
Easy
Fox
George
How
Item/Interrogatory
Jig/Johnny
King
Love
Mike
Nab/Negat
Oboe
Peter/Prep
Queen
Roger
Sugar
Tare
Uncle
Victor
William
X-ray
Yoke
Zebra[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #FFFEE9"]Able
Baker
Charlie
Dog
Easy
Fox
George
How
Item
Jig
King
Love
Mike
Nan
Oboe
Peter
Queen
Roger
Sugar
Tare
Uncle
Victor
William
X-ray
Yoke
Zebra[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

So what did Toc H actually stand for? I've fond memories of the ones in Germany but never asked why it was called what it was - I just accepted it.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
So what did Toc H actually stand for? I've fond memories of the ones in Germany but never asked why it was called what it was - I just accepted it.
Talbot House.

Came back from a job in Germany once via Arnhem, Ypres and Poperinge. Planning the route, the conversation went like this:

1st Stab: Let's go to Arnhem then Ypres.
Col: Arnhem's well off route for our insurance.
2nd Stab (FF): My map reading's shoite.
Col: Let's go to Arnhem then Ypres.

Excellent two days and very humbling.

Don was the letter D in an early form of phonetic alphabet used by the RAF between 1924 and 1942, so Don 5 or Don 10 was just D5 or D10
Don R was the nickname for a dispatch rider.

Don R was the nickname for a dispatch rider.
Talbot House.

Came back from a job in Germany once via Arnhem, Ypres and Poperinge. Planning the route, the conversation went like this:

1st Stab: Let's go to Arnhem then Ypres.
Col: Arnhem's well off route for our insurance.
2nd Stab (FF): My map reading's shoite.
Col: Let's go to Arnhem then Ypres.

Excellent two days and very humbling.

Spot on Sir, Talbot House is a great place, can see how well regarded it must've been by the chaps resting between time at the sharp end....

On the subject of phonetic alphabets, was there one between that 1924-1942 one and the current one?

And was there a Nato one?

And finally, was there an attempt to introduce one based upon city names?

On the subject of phonetic alphabets, was there one between that 1924-1942 one and the current one?

And was there a Nato one?

And finally, was there an attempt to introduce one based upon city names?
Hmmm...not sure. Alexei Sayle said "Alpha, Tango, Tea-Kettle, Barbecue." in an episode of the Young Ones.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Latest Threads