Domestic Oil Tanks

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Ok, are there any fellow arrsers who have recently had a new oil tank installed?

I haven't lived in an non mains gas area before and have had an inspection of my oil tank which has lead to a recommendation for change due to age and the base been too small, ie it has not got a minimum of 300mm overlap supporting the tank.

Just wondering what size of quotes I can expect before hitting the OFTEC website and getting a few quotes, having not gone through this procedure before I just would like a rough ball park figure to come back with if there trying it on.

Cheers.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Day for the builder, hundred quid for materials if you're replacing the slab. But can you not manage that yourself?

Half day for the plumber.

Small skip.

£400 excluding the tank, I reckon.

As always, get 3 quotes and go with the middle one.

A quote will come in around £1500 +, depending on size of tank. Variables will be if a bund is necessary or you install a single or self-bunding (double skinned) tank.

Is it a metal tank or plastic? Are you near a water course? Is it leaking? Do you really need to change-out?

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
A quote will come in around £1500 +, depending on size of tank. Variables will be if a bund is necessary or you install a single or self-bunding (double skinned) tank.

Is it a metal tank or plastic? Are you near a water course? Is it leaking? Do you really need to change-out?
How much is a tank?

Would you not buy one yourself and have it installed?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Day for the builder, hundred quid for materials if you're replacing the slab. But can you not manage that yourself?

Half day for the plumber.

Small skip.

£400 excluding the tank, I reckon.

As always, get 3 quotes and go with the middle one.
Cheers DL, bloody hell no I couldn't mix the concrete and do any building work, I'm as stupid and thick as they come when it comes to practical things like that. If it comes in between 1700 and 2000 all in I'll be happyISH.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Yeh it's about twenty years old, single skin and overlapping the base so it is at the end of its life.
I'll definitely be getting a bunded type tank there about £1300 I was just curious as to the labour costs bearing in mind the pumping out of oil and oh God I hate big jobs like this.

Green_Homer

War Hero
On a slight tangent but if you don't already have one then it's worth investing in a lock for it plus an alarm that senses sudden pressure loss. We have had a fair few heating oil thefts where I work and it's not cheap to replace the oil!

Yeh it's about twenty years old, single skin and overlapping the base so it is at the end of its life.
I'll definitely be getting a bunded type tank there about £1300 I was just curious as to the labour costs bearing in mind the pumping out of oil and oh God I hate big jobs like this.
OK, sounds like you need to take the plunge. Add a grand or so for labour. I'm not a direct debit scheme and just pay spot price - if you're the same consider putting in the biggest (legal) tank you can - generally fuel oil prices dip in the summer. You soon offset extra cost.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
OK, sounds like you need to take the plunge. Add a grand or so for labour. I'm not a direct debit scheme and just pay spot price - if you're the same consider putting in the biggest (legal) tank you can - generally fuel oil prices dip in the summer. You soon offset extra cost.
How long's it take the plumber to hook it up, ffs?

Replacing a slab is only a little job.

On a slight tangent but if you don't already have one then it's worth investing in a lock for it plus an alarm that senses sudden pressure loss. We have had a fair few heating oil thefts where I work and it's not cheap to replace the oil!
Yeah i'd echo that, loads of oil thefts in our area recently. Especially so if you live somewhere rural or remote.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah i'd echo that, loads of oil thefts in our area recently. Especially so if you live somewhere rural or remote.
Duly noted thank you, think I will get a steel bunded type tank rather than plastic, bit more pricey but hopefully a one off job that won't need replacing for another 15 - 20 years.

2/51

LE
I have had two lots of oil nicked in under a month, leading to a £200 boiler repair as it was damaged due to water being pulled through from the tank. So, in total, nearly £2500 stolen.

They got the thieves a few weeks later, but I have had no money back. They were following oi9l delivery tankers, watching to see if anyone was in duriong the delivery, and then just emptying the tank as soon as the lorry had left.

I have had two lots of oil nicked in under a month, leading to a £200 boiler repair as it was damaged due to water being pulled through from the tank. So, in total, nearly £2500 stolen.

They got the thieves a few weeks later, but I have had no money back. They were following oi9l delivery tankers, watching to see if anyone was in duriong the delivery, and then just emptying the tank as soon as the lorry had left.
Sorry to hear that chap, have you considered a civil prosecution to recover your losses? Although they'll probably pay it back at 50p a week.

2/51

LE
Sorry to hear that chap, have you considered a civil prosecution to recover your losses? Although they'll probably pay it back at 50p a week.
My advice from the police was to "suck it up". They were travellers who are now wanted on bail. Why they bail folk with no fixed address i don't know!!

Apparantly they had coughed up to nearly £20k worth of theft, including garden tools, a trailer and various other things laying around peoples out buildings. Bail was set at £200!

Scottish justice system for you!

i now have a rather large lock and the landlord will be replacing the tank with a more secure modern unit once our current oil supply is depleted.

My advice from the police was to "suck it up". They were travellers who are now wanted on bail. Why they bail folk with no fixed address i don't know!!

Apparantly they had coughed up to nearly £20k worth of theft, including garden tools, a trailer and various other things laying around peoples out buildings. Bail was set at £200!

i now have a rather large lock and the landlord will be replacing the tank with a more secure modern unit once our current oil supply is depleted.
Sorry to hear that was the reply you got. It takes a lot to get someone on remand (well in E&W anyway), although for 20K of thefts you would have thought they'd have a go. And I'm guessing they pleaded 'poverty' for the bail amount.

Some forces have things like farmwatch schemes (it's like neighbourhood watch but rural) or you can register your tank with them so they can add it to their list of priorities to check on patrols. Hope you have better luck with your new tank.

Blogg

LE
Oil theft is a real PITA.

Plod do not really want to know (if no clear sign of tampering just get the "are you sure it has been stolen, Sir?") and if members of the "non settled community" are suspected of being involved you might as well forget it.

http://www.oiltheftwatch.org/

A few years ago a friend had a small problem of someone nicking his coal and peat. He drilled into a couple of coal lumps stuck in non electric dets with a mix of wood glue and coal dust and left them in one of the bags by the house. Within a week the marked bag went walkies. Next day a story did the rounds of someone's reaburn blowing up, setting some of the house on fire. Strangely, no more theft.

Latest Threads