Domestic fuel price cap

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

The regulator OFGEM have told energy companies to cap their prices at £1040 per household per year. Fair enough but putting my cynical hat on the companies will just increase prices so the cap still clicks in but those on lower rates will pay more to keep profits up. The cap should not have been on the top rate but on the amount i.e. bills can't rise by more than 5% or some such figure.

As someone under the maximum amount in a small flat I now expect my bills to rise to compensate the energy company!

I've never understood the gobbly-gook inherent in fuel bills. They are almost as bad as BT - Try to find out when your contract ends..................

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

The regulator OFGEM have told energy companies to cap their prices at £1040 per household per year. Fair enough but putting my cynical hat on the companies will just increase prices so the cap still clicks in but those on lower rates will pay more to keep profits up. The cap should not have been on the top rate but on the amount i.e. bills can't rise by more than 5% or some such figure.

As someone under the maximum amount in a small flat I now expect my bills to rise to compensate the energy company!
Look on the bright side, you can leave the heating on and the windows open and your Bills are capped!

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I've never understood the gobbly-gook inherent in fuel bills. They are almost as bad as BT - Try to find out when your contract ends..................
Old school bills told you how much you had used, how much each unit cost, and your standing charge. Modern bills are 8 pages long and hide that information well.

No mention of heating oil? That said we had 800 litres a few days ago. I paid them £256.20 which I thought was very reasonable.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Old school bills told you how much you had used, how much each unit cost, and your standing charge. Modern bills are 8 pages long and hide that information well.
The Standing Charge is a con. The cost of Gas and Lecky and getting it to you is included in the price of the commodity - the SC is pure profit for the Companies.

Look on the bright side, you can leave the heating on and the windows open and your Bill's are capped!
Heating?
I bet @Auld-Yin is so tight, he huddles over his phone for warmth, perhaps setting fire to the odd Sassenach if it gets too nippy. :p

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Heating?
I bet @Auld-Yin is so tight, he huddles over his phone for warmth, perhaps setting fire to the odd Sassenach if it gets too nippy. :p
You leave Nippy out of this - she is too busy doing her daily political broadcasts .

You leave Nippy out of this - she is too busy doing her daily political broadcasts .
You would do us all a favour if you set fire to Nippy. :eek:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Standing Charge is a con. The cost of Gas and Lecky and getting it to you is included in the price of the commodity - the SC is pure profit for the Companies.
You're confusing yourself. 'The cost of Gas and Lecky and getting it to you is included in the price of the commodity' as you put it, IS the standing charge. It's not a standalone charge.

Change to Octopus.
Monthly meter readings and much more control.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I change my energy supplier every year. Its alot easier than you might think.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You're confusing yourself. 'The cost of Gas and Lecky and getting it to you is included in the price of the commodity' as you put it, IS the standing charge. It's not a standalone charge.
So you are soft enough to believe that shit.

Slime

LE

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Change to Octopus.
Monthly meter readings and much more control.
With them too, they have been fine so far, not sure how they're getting around the supply of gas legislation that states a meter should be physically inspected at least once every two years, but that's not my prob

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
So you are soft enough to believe that shit.
I always believe stuff that's true. Whether you believe it or not, corporations aren't charities and are obliged to keep the option of you using gas and/or electricity open (whether you use it or not) meaning you have to be kept on supply and that costs money.

I'm happy to gloss over the fact that you made an arse of yourself with your claim that the standing charge was something not built in to your bill.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I always believe stuff that's true. Whether you believe it or not, corporations aren't charities and are obliged to keep the option of you using gas and/or electricity open (whether you use it or not) meaning you have to be kept on supply and that costs money.

I'm happy to gloss over the fact that you made an arse of yourself with your claim that the standing charge was something not built in to your bill.
SC is pure profit.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
With them too, they have been fine so far, not sure how they're getting around the supply of gas legislation that states a meter should be physically inspected at least once every two years, but that's not my prob
Ditto, with Octopus since October. So far so good.

Latest Threads