Domestic Electrical Installation training?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Greenback, Dec 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All, I am keen to carry out training in Domestic Electrical Installation and would like to hear from anybody who has already carried out training and can give me advice on who's hot and who's not.
    Regards, :D

2. A lot will depend on your existing experience and skills in electrical installations. If you have both, NAPIT and ELECSA offer cost effective courses and membership deals - GOOGLE them to find out if you qualify for anything they have on offer. If you don't have experience try plumbing instead, better to get things wet if you go wrong rather than frying somebody.

3. If you don't have experience try plumbing instead, better to get things wet if you go wrong rather than frying somebody.

Yeah I hear what you are saying!

I have been out of the mob for about 18 months now, I was given a 2 year deferment on resettlement due to an MD. I have done a few jobs with a local electrician which has been enjoyable and I could see myself doing this type of work in the future.
    It is a bit of a chicken and egg situation because I know that I need experience and qualifications, but being a practical person I usually manage to turn my hand to most things. My game plan is to carry out quality training using my resettlement grant then work for a local contractor for a few years to gain vital experience, then make a go of it on my own.
    I have had experience in plumbing and it does not float my boat in the same way as electrical work does!

4. Greenback says

Don't spend too many years gaining experience, unless the work is varied it will be the same experience many time - worthless. Change jobs to get a different spin on things. Note that Part P of the Building Regs only applies to dwellings commercial work does not require the same degree of certification

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

You if it all goes pete tong :D :D :D

Sorry no help but I couldn't resist

6. If anyone in the Reading area wants to have a go at fixing my just out of warranty dryer give me a shout, as Indesit want £90 just to come and look at it!!!!