Dolomites - Alta Via 1 or 2 - Level 3 Adv Trg

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by UnderTheBreech, Jul 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if anyone has done any decent walking in the Dolomites. Have read a few civvy webpages in relation to Alta Via 1 and 2 and would seem to be a pretty decent choice for a couple of weeks walking. Looking at taking some blokes down that way next summer and just looking to get a bit of insight, with squaddie perspective, from anyone who might have been there within the last few years or so.

All my experience is in Bavaria & was just after a bit of info as to how it differs in Italia ie.....can you wild camp, prices of mountain huts, do you need membership, access/meeting points for admin veh (if used) etc,etc.

'Via Faretta' crops up in text quite often, but most of the pics look more like easy sections with a bit of confidence wire, as opposed to being to anything you would require a Klettersteig Leader for....?

Any info on jump off points or detours of interest to the standard routes would be welcome.

Any body got a PXR I could have a read of....route maps ?.

Thanks in advance if you can help.
  2. Did Alta Via 2 almost twenty years ago, so not much current advice to offer I'm afraid. I can certainly remember the walk has some stunning views in places and was well worth it. The tracks were mostly well marked and signed. Venice for a bit of R n R at the end proved quite a costly experience. If you're on a budget give it a miss.