Dole Office Efficiency

Curve15 said:
Sigmonk you "I receive no job seekers allowance reason being is that I am in receipt of an MOD pension"
According to the law they can only count your MOD pension after you have been on the dole for 6 months so if its less than 6 months since you were made redundant I'd be along at the citizens advice bureau for advice on appealing the decision. Contribution based jobseekers allowance is NOT a means tested benefit - as in the name its based on your contribution record.
I spent a short while unemployed and got absolutely nothing in terms of job seekers allowance because I am receipt of a pension. I still have the paperwork from the DWP explaining exactly why - and that was because of my pension.

From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...rSupport/Employedorlookingforwork/DG_10018757

How much do you get?
Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance

You get a weekly rate according to your age:

Age Amount
16 - 24 £47.95
25 or over £60.50

Your payments might be reduced if you're getting a pension.
Sigmonk's description of the process is very similar to my experience of the job centre for the first time (ever!) after working for over 35 years. The only nice bit was the look on her face when I told the advisor (funny term, she knew very little outside of her scripted process) how much my pension was. It was significantly more than what she was paid. I looked up their pay rates - they are paid little more than the minimum wage, so don't expect a gold-plated service particularly when they are getting busier during the current economic woes.

For those looking for work, don't stop looking and use every tool at your disposal. Sometimes this may even mean taking any (and I mean any) work whilst you are looking for a better job. Civvy street is not like the Army - you can leave your job usually by only giving a months notice. Having a day off sick whilst you go for an interview for another job is the norm. I was lucky and spent only a short time unemployed - I needed the rest anyway.

paleblue_1

Old-Salt
I too was made redundent on 23rd December 2008, I was loathe to sign on, and left it for nrary a month before I did so.

Now, I knew in September that I was going to be made redundent so actively started to look for a new job, now 200+ applications and 9 interviews later I am due to start work on Tuesday, on 4k less than I was on in December, with a shortfall in my rent due to be paid.

I say this because I live in a house share, so, in there wisdom, decide not to pay my full rent.

My rent is £80 per week plus bills, HB pay £63 per week, leaving me a shortfall of £17 per week to make up since 1st January.

Luckily I have had some help in other departments, and it isnt as bad as it looks.

What I hate is going into the Jobcentre, and the security guards (all 3 of them) looking down your nose at you, telling you to take your hat of or your hands out of your pockets. I generally ignored them. I also told the woman at the desk that I do not expect, nor can I afford to have my last payment made 3 months after I sign off (like lasttime) as I have to go 6 weeks before I will get my first pay cheque from my new employer.

It is a crap system that does not reward those that try and look for work, only the lazy scum that never work.

Rant off

spike7451

RIP
RIP
sigmonk said:
Further to my last, I received a letter the other day from the DWP stating that according to their records my occupational pension is due to increase and can I supply the new details. Now I am on the old system and I know that my pension will not increase until I reach my 55th birthday (several years away ok 5). I have confirmed this with Paymaster Crawley and have written a snotegramm to DWP informing of them of this and I have copied the letter to my MP.

What I am angry about is how do they get this information and why is it wrong.

If I can get my scanner working I will post the letter on this forum, as I believe it was written by a 16 year old for a 12 year old, as the standard of grammar is appaling

sorry for the rant
sigmonk,
The DSS is ran by idiots & staffed by chimps.
When Sainsbury's laid me off in Nov 08,I provided the DSS with a copy of the letter I recieved from Sainsbury's giving the details of why I was leaving.
At the start of Feb I think,I recieved a letter from the DSS saying that Sainsbury's told them I resigned & handed in a letter of resignation &,because of this,my JSA was stopping.
So I called the DSS in Bangor,where I sign on ect.Spoke to the woman who sent the letter & I advised them that the is a letter on file from my previous employers ect & I asked why did'nt they check the file instead of wasting time & money sending out distressing letters to people when it would take 5 minutes to check.
She informed me that those files were in a different dept (same building tho! :? ) & she was going by what Sainsbury's told her & she did'nt have time to check to which I replied it must've taken longer to write the letter & do all the other paperwork ect whereas a simple check would've taken 5-10 minutes.
She did'nt have an answer! :lol:
See,muppets & morons the lot of them!
Spike

bottlesofbecks

Old-Salt
Signing on, ah what a pleasure it has been from the initial phone call to the interview and subsequent two weekly visits, the last was great "I see you Have a HGV licence" says person behind desk "yes" says I "have you thought of relocating to Canada they need HGV drivers" says desk.

The views of some people about signing on and the fact they wont ever have too are great, I don't suppose many of the people in the unfortunate circumstance of being unemployed thought that they would be, especially in the current economic climate and with so many apparent 'Job for life' companies going to the wall, a lot of very skilled and hard working people find themselves out of work.

I found myself in this unfortunate position and it has taken five months to find a job, I made the mistake of not going and signing on from day one out of pride, and I am not able to claim this money back, remember you have paid into this scheme and it is rightfully yours and pride doesn't pay bills.

So to all looking for work I hope it comes your way soon.

And to all those who think that they wont see the inside of a job centre I hope you don't, because it will hit you the hardest!

See what you made me do I wrote an essay 8O

OldStripey

Old-Salt
Dole Office Efficiency guffaw guffaw
no offence, the irony tickles me...contradiction in terms, o feck me, :lol: :D :p :? stop it you're making me ache.

Curve15 said:
Ok if you have worked for the last 2 years and paid your national insurance stamp you are entitled to six months job seekers allowance of £60.50 a week IF you are over 25. If you are 18 - 24 you only get £47.95. You claim this from the department of works and pensions contact centres - normally a phone number as jobcentres can't process claims.
You can claim housing benefit and council tax but this is done through the local council and they will ask about anyone else in the house so if the Mrs is working or your adult kids are in the house you'll likely get nowt. I know you hate the DWP staff and some of them are a bunch of twits but 20,000 experienced staff have been paid off in the last 4 years and they have not been replaced so it takes roughly 3 weeks to process a claim for JSA. The usual not enough staff and the computer system is crap, typical government system. I see loads of folk now who were bosses or have been working for the last 20 years and have never claimed and most are shocked that they will get £60.50 for SIX months and then nothing cos after that its means tested. The mortgage scheme only pays the interest on your mortgage after 13 weeks on JSA so you need to survive that first. Granted claiming JSA sucks but YOU ARE ENTITLED to it IF you've been paying your stamp for the last 2 years so take what your due, if you don't only the government gains out of it
As for only lazy chavs being on the dole - utter rubbish - I've seen IT managers, directors, delivery drivers and many factory workers and engineers, they ain't lazy just unlucky
Cheers for the comment, just to add to that If you are in receipt of any occupational pension then this is deducted from the JSA claim. When I was laid off 2 years ago I investigated the possibility of signing on but binned it when I found it really was not worth my time to travel 20 miles sign a piece of paper, resist the urge to strangle the staff and recieve nothing in cash because of my pension. Good luck to anyone who has to go down that route , you will need it.

Never been on the dole myself, luckily enough, yet that didnt stop DWP claiming i owed them 145 quid due to a dole overpayment. Took 3 months to convince them it was a mistake :)

Mikal

ADC
Tytus_Barnowl said:
Cheers for the comment, just to add to that If you are in receipt of any occupational pension then this is deducted from the JSA claim. When I was laid off 2 years ago I investigated the possibility of signing on but binned it when I found it really was not worth my time to travel 20 miles sign a piece of paper, resist the urge to strangle the staff and recieve nothing in cash because of my pension. Good luck to anyone who has to go down that route , you will need it.
In 2007 when I was signed on for just over 2 weeks more to protect my NI contributions than anything else I declared my War Pension and it was not counted against my claim.

I was holding out for a specific job in 2008 and did 7 months on savings without being able to pay my own stamp.

I've just done 2 weeks, new contract Monday, and have yet to find out the status of the claim.

I had heard WP is now counted for Incapacity Benefit so my next stint in hospital plus recuperation will be much the poorer.

Mikal

ADC
Smiler_1985 said:
Never been on the dole myself, luckily enough, yet that didnt stop DWP claiming i owed them 145 quid due to a dole overpayment. Took 3 months to convince them it was a mistake :)
I'd check your NI contributions for the last year or so if I were you. It may be someone had filched your NI number.

Mikal said:
I had heard WP is now counted for Incapacity Benefit so my next stint in hospital plus recuperation will be much the poorer.
You wouldn't happen to have a link for that. I've just spent the last hour or so trawling through gov websites looking for any mention of this.

According to one of the world's most boring sites (not mine, the official gov one), Incapacity Benefit has been replaced by Employment and Support Allowance (since October 2008) and while it is mentioned that if you receive a War Pension, it may affect other benefits you might receive, I'm buggered if I can find out by how much. The bastards like to keep us guessing. Don't they? :evil:

Mikal

ADC
mistersoft said:
Mikal said:
You wouldn't happen to have a link for that. I've just spent the last hour or so trawling through gov websites looking for any mention of this.

According to one of the world's most boring sites (not mine, the official gov one), Incapacity Benefit has been replaced by Employment and Support Allowance (since October 2008) and while it is mentioned that if you receive a War Pension, it may affect other benefits you might receive, I'm buggered if I can find out by how much. The bastards like to keep us guessing. Don't they? :evil:
It was mentioned last year in the Charities forum. I can't remember the details but if you plough through some of the WP topics I'm sure you'll find it.

As to how much is taken off, I suspect there'll been an alllowance for the first £16 or so and then pound for pound reduction which means we might not be any better off as I understand it.

It's not dificult to fall foul of the civvy admin machine. Fortunately I've been in full employment since I left, but I know a couple of others who haven't, and despite being switched on and doing all the right things, were still given the right royal despite their best efforts.

This is a useful page for anyone encountering the dole for the first time.

Curve15

Old-Salt
"According to one of the world's most boring sites (not mine, the official gov one), Incapacity Benefit has been replaced by Employment and Support Allowance (since October 2008) and while it is mentioned that if you receive a War Pension, it may affect other benefits you might receive, I'm buggered if I can find out by how much. The bastards like to keep us guessing. Don't they?"

If you get a war disablement pension it is counted as income when the local council is working out if you are entitled to council tax or housing benefit - most council disregard the first £10 although Glasgow City Council disregards all of it.

Employment Support Allowance is still new to most welfare rights folk but seems designed to make the folk who are genuine worse off, try telling a 60 year old male stroke victim that he has been found fit for work and now has to sign on for JSA - makes you wanna scream

If you really want to look up most of this info go along to your local library and ask if the keep a reference copy of "The Disability Rights Handbook" published by the CPAG The 34th Edition should be published in the next month, if your really sad it costs £21 and is the book all welfare rights workers use to check the changes in the law, not sure if the DWP will have any copies - wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Civvy admin sucks. Period.

OldStripey

Old-Salt
Some FAQ's

ESA
http://www.disabilityalliance.org/esaeasy.pdf

SPVA
http://www.veterans-uk.info/complaints/complaints.html

Benefits Adviser Online
http://campaigns.direct.gov.uk/benefitsadviser/

Legal Advice Phone
http://www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk/en/search/index.jsp?search=Income support&topicid=5394
Citizens Advice online guide. Has a large section on benefits.
www.adviceguide.org.uk

Department for Work and Pensions. Useful A-Z guide to benefits.
www.dwp.gov.uk

The Inland Revenue’s guide to tax credits. Calculate and submit claims online.
https://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/HomeIR.aspx

Community Legal Advice. Find an adviser online or get advice direct over the telephone. www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk

Advice Services Alliance information including benefits.
www.advicenow.org.uk

Mikal said:
Smiler_1985 said:
I'd check your NI contributions for the last year or so if I were you. It may be someone had filched your NI number.
Aye I just got off the phone with the DWP and they reckon this was the cause. Cheeky buggers

spike7451

RIP
RIP
Well chap's,
Done the rounds of the recruitment agencies in Belfast today,interview with one of them & I've a assesment for a call center off Springfield Rd/Circular Rd on Wednesday & I'm put foeward for another off York Rd,again a call center but beggers cant be choosers & all that.Anyhoo,Brian from the recruitmet just called me,turns out the HR Manager from the second one is Ex RAF & knows me!gulp,hope that's a good thing.(it's selling advertising space on websites,£16k starting salery,Mon-Fri 9-5....here's hoping.)
Spike

spike7451 said:
Well chap's,
Done the rounds of the recruitment agencies in Belfast today,interview with one of them & I've a assesment for a call center off Springfield Rd/Circular Rd on Wednesday & I'm put foeward for another off York Rd,again a call center but beggers cant be choosers & all that.Anyhoo,Brian from the recruitmet just called me,turns out the HR Manager from the second one is Ex RAF & knows me!gulp,hope that's a good thing.(it's selling advertising space on websites,£16k starting salery,Mon-Fri 9-5....here's hoping.)
Spike
Spike - best of luck mate but a question - is it policy to build these places near old Cop Shops? That post reads like a Who's Who from PIRA bombing runs in the '80's!

spike7451

RIP
RIP
rickshaw-major said:
spike7451 said:
Well chap's,
Spike
Spike - best of luck mate but a question - is it policy to build these places near old Cop Shops? That post reads like a Who's Who from PIRA bombing runs in the '80's!
LOL!
The one on the Springfield Rd is next to the fire station,If I'm offered it it'll only be temp as I'm not too keen on working up that neck of the woods for obvious reasons!Me being a Brummie does'nt help! :twisted:
The one on the York Rd will suit me much better.
Cheers r_m.
Spike

Latest Threads