Doing P Company at 37?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Doniphon, Mar 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, was looking for a spot of advice. I’ve always wanted to join the TA, but job commitments haven’t allowed it in the past and I’d figured that I’d missed the boat. However I noticed that the TA joining limit is about to be increased so I thought I might belatedly join. One of my local units is a 4 Para company and I wondered if anybody had any thoughts about somebody just turned 37 being able to cope with P Company etc. I’m fit for my age, certainly by civvie standards, with no chronic/recurring injuries, and up for a challenge. Anybody any thoughts/experience/words of encouragement…or am I out of my mind?
  2. PM The Duke or wait for him to stumble across this thread, he’ll be able to tell you all about P company.
  3. Go for it!
  4. Best of luck
  5. Fair play to you mate - good luck
  6. you're a fkin nutter - but if you're fit enough, go for it! Good luck!
  7. My old man Transferred from RCT to Paras at 34 - so as long as your healthy and fit its got nothing to do with age.

From a myself whos done Reg P - company - no matter how hard you train it's never easy lol just keep going and keep taking the air in !

Oh and dont forget - you will get lots of build up from your unit on how to prepare etc and training.
  8. Easy mate, A mate of mine did it at 35, as long as your fit enough just get your head down and get on with it.
  9. older people have done it, don't expect any favours though

good luck
  10. I undertook and 'arduous course' at 34. Oldest man on the course by an average of 10 years. I found determination and maturity made a big difference but my recovery was considerably slower.

4 Para would give you plenty of build up and advice so I say go for it, you never know till you try....
  11. I'm 32 and applying so your nto alone in the old stakes - I'm giving myself another 6 months to train up then just going to jump in and see how it goes. If you go onto you tube and search for channel 4 you should find an old documentary about it, also if you go to the infantry thread here there is a more up to date video on the course - might be an eye opener if you've not seen it
  12. FFS age is just a number theres plenty of blokes over 37 passed P Coy
  13. We've all seen Apocalypse Now....

"Airborne? Why the fuck would he do that?"

Good luck mate, go for it!
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

If you want to do it, just go to the 4 Para Coy and they will provide the beat up training you need. If you are reasonably fit, and much more importantly, you are determined enough to prepare in your own time then there is no reason you should not pass P Coy fo 4 Para.

Don't spend the rest of your life wondering what it would have been like - find out!