Doing my bit

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Drazic, Dec 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

Word of warning, im dislexic so pleas ebare with my spelling!

I've been thinking of this for about the last year now. As a kid the tipical idea was i want to join the Army. As i got old my sesne of freedom grew and has stayed. Im now 24 years old.

With the curret econoimical climate work is thin. I am sadly currently out of employment (as of 2 weeks ago) and there is sweet FA being offered.

I have always see stuff on TV about the Arm, from basic triaing, to nights out, war zones and the loss of a fellow country man or comrad. In the back of my mind i have forever though yeah i'd love to do that but i warrant my freedom too much.

So i went into my loca Army Carries Office and baggered them to speak to a few lads about the crack, You get a beasting for a few weeks and put straigh, metnal and physical fitness, roof over your head, good grub and decent money, meet new people and friends etc etc.

So now i have though about this a lot more and i want in.

Isit best i go after crimbo or next week?

I broke my ankle about 3 years ago and have no problerm with it. Then i broke my wrist 2 years ago and again no problems with it.

I decalired my self bankrupt 3 years ago and have been discharged from it and have no debt at all.

I just quit smoking 2 month cold turkey as of Sunday.

6'2'' and weight in 14 stone. Hit the gym 3 times a week and lift varying amount.

So do i stand chance or is not worth bothering?
  2. go for it fella, what civvy trade have you?
  3. Like bipolar said. Go for it!
    I'd suggest after Christmas because from my knowledge AFCO's/ATR's are stood down for xmas, and are up again from around the 4th? i think, don't quote me on that though. I can't see either of your injuries stopping your from joining as i've had similar.

Hope that helps

Syn :)
  4. Youve got nothing to lose and everything to gain, Go for it.
  5. Go for it mate, your only regret would be that you didn't do it sooner!!
  6. The only problem you might have is that you have to about 5 years clear of a bankruptcy, but the ACFO will be able to advise you better.

7. Nothing on paper but i've worked in all sorts. Jack of trade master of non by cert. It, electrical, ran my own bikeshop, worked on cars, worked in a pyro lab making fireworks, warehouse, av stuff

Cheers Syn, i'll call the guys Monday and see, if there open i'll hall my ass in

True that, you heard i just split with that think you can a girlfriend.

True, nowt to lose!

What 5 years clear of past debt/bankrupcy to join up?
  8. What 5 years clear of past debt/bankrupcy to join up?[/quote]

yep, it might be the case as i said ask your AFCO for more info!
  9. Drazic are you taking the piss?? I find it amazing how much your spelling/grammar has improved between these two posts. You will struggle to pass the BARB test judging by your original post.
  10. I guess we find out
  11. You cannot fail the BARB test, I've met people with the intelligence of mince who have actually attained fairly reasonable scores.
  12. Richard Branson has done alright for someone with piss poor grammar...
  13. You can fail the BARB. I'm sure you need to get a score of 29 or higher. When I was in the AFCO working I sat a couple for guys that just couldn't pass it.
  14. I was aware that there was a minimum score required, but I literally thought no-one could be stupid enough to fail it. Although it's not exactly a measure of intelligence, I have no idea how you could get under the required score.
  15. Well I sat in in an informal chat between an applicant and recruiter going through some questions in the BARB booklet. One of the examples was something like, out of the three numbers, 9, 5, 3. Work out which numbers are the highest and lowest value, then find which is furthest away from the number which is left. Obviously the answer is 9. When applicant was asked how far away is 3 from 5, he replied "not much". He literaly had to work the answer out using his fingers.