Doing alright

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EX_REME, Jan 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now, I am not one to moan :wink:
    But really, how thick do they think we are?

They have decided to put an example of a civvy living in his own pad with a single soldier living in the block, well lets just put it the other way shall we?

Attached Files:

2. you can count on your pay going straight in on time too as the army isnt going to go bust...
  3. Now lookng at the second diagram it says all pension contriburtions are free to the soldier.

Anybody in the know care to comment because IIRC a certain amount of what a soldier SHOULD be paid is actually held back at source and not accounted for on the pay chit i.e. a soldier is actually paid less than he/she should be be to make up for pension contributions.

I have been out a while now but ISTR a conversation in the the HQ BAOR Officers Mess on this subject over 12 years ago and was gobsmacked. Can anybody confirm if the pensions comment is true or not?

Edited once for crap spelling and dirty spectacles.
  4. X factor is abated to take into account that you don't contribute to your pension. Degree of abatement is to be looked at again by pay review body.

So yes, the ad is mis-leading to say the least. Someone feel like taking it up with the Advertising Standards people
  5. You CAN count on your pay going in on time provided your not on the new pay system by all accounts.

If a civilian company fails to pay you you can sue their sorry asses. In the MoD you might be able to borrow some cash from the PRI to see you through!
  6. Cheers. This wasn't me being grumpy this morning - the actual figures for abatement were actually quite substantial. Similarly there was also talk of being able to increase payments to some sort of insurance scheme just before going on Active Service.

As I say a long time ago and undoubtedly the "system" has changed. I wonder if anyone from BAFF has the answers? I will pm Hackle although I am sure he is a busy man.

Depending on the answers I get I may take it up with the Advertising Standards Agency.
  7. Where is this advert? It is so completely missleading in so many areas it makes my blood boil. It even contradicts itself.

If utility bills are included in rent they are not free are they? Unless the rent is free too.

The Soldier obviously doesnt eat much does he.

MMA certainly doesnt cover the cost of travelling.

Pension isnt free at all.

Rent may be correct but civvy doesnt have to live in a shoe box. 400 a month gets a council house/flat.
  8. So it seems as if the Higginsonleftytreehugger trust (or what ever they are called) were right after all.

The army DOES lie to recruits, it even lies to serving soldiers and it lies to itself as well it seems.

Remember the old saying
    "Don't buy a TV. Don't buy a car. Save your money and PVR!"

9. The "advert" is in a booklet that some people just received called "doing alright".

Sorry everyone, I thought my version was more 'truthful' but, hey ho. I address the pension wrongdoing in there too.
  10. Reference pension contributions, you may want to read this.

As a Regular soldier you are automatically a member of the Armed Forces’ Pension Scheme (AFPS). You do not contribute directly from your pay into a pension fund, but the AFPRB does make an adjustment to your salary to take into account the relevant benefits of the Services' scheme when compared with civilian pension arrangements. The main advantage of the Services' scheme is that you receive an immediate pension after 22 years' reckonable service (for soldiers from the age of 18) or 16 years' reckonable service (for officers from the age of 21). This variation is historical and is being reviewed.

Also I wonder how many seving soldiers know they can contribute to their pension whilst serving. It certainly was never made public when I was serving.