Dogshit awful Supermarket food.

I suppose as they came out of sterile cans, they were less likely to poison you than our bloody donor kebabs, hanging about for 3 days, but every one has probably taken 3 months off your life expectancy......

I've noticed that most doner kebabs on sale now are of the shwarma type - recognisable layers of meat (one hopes lamb - but who knows?) compressed onto the spit. The old style doner kebabs were of the dead man's leg variety; minced up, homogenous god know's what all, forming a gigantic sausage. You don't see so many (any?) of those now.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Mm, as I recall. that was the Great British farmer, more power to his elbow, saving money from his subsidies by feeding tainted sheep to cattle. On an industrial scale. Wasn't just "pink slime" as you call it, it was sirloins, baby-back ribs, rumps, t-bones, porterhouse steaks, and the like.

The first thing my dad, dairy and arable farmer, did when it happened was to rush to the shops and a stock up on bargain priced meat.

'Been eating it for years, never harmed us'.

Last edited:
The first thing my dad, dairy and arable, did when it happened was to rush to the shops and a stock up on bargain priced meat.

As did the British Army

I've noticed that most doner kebabs on sale now are of the shwarma type - recognisable layers of meat (one hopes lamb - but who knows?) compressed onto the spit. The old style doner kebabs were of the dead man's leg variety; minced up, homogenous god know's what all, forming a gigantic sausage. You don't see so many (any?) of those now.

I rember going into Makro a while ago and they were selling 15kg donor sausages for 15 quid......... WTF was in them ?

You can't even get Richmond bloody sausages for that price ?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The first thing my dad, dairy and arable farmer, did when it happened was to rush to the shops and a stock up on bargain priced meat.

We've seen your DIY threads, I beg to differ

Not easy to make decent pasta,
Yes it is. A piece of piss, in fact, with a stand mixer.

Two whole eggs. Yolks only of 3 more. Make up to 180g with water if short - depends on size of eggs. 300g flour, the finer the grind the better. 1/2 tsp salt. Beat to combine. Then mix at speed 2 for 2-3 minutes with dough hook. It should form a nice pliable dough. Let it rest for 20 minutes. Then roll/shape/extrude into desired shape.

This was only the third time I’ve ever made pasta.

DD13DEC6-CA41-40A9-B442-106568A139F0.jpeg

Can anything be worse than tinned burgers?
I once had a tinned cheese burger in a bun with tomato ketchup.
You just had to heat the tin.

Bought as a joke from christ knows where and I came home from the pub one night, hungry and drunk . . . .you can guess the rest.

Didn't taste half bad either though I was. . . . . a bit tipsy.

Incidentally, having had an Italian nonna - granny, who taught my mum who then showed my wife - I hadn't realised until recently that most Brits when making lasagne don't actually pre-soak the lasagne sheets in boiling water prior to making lasagne with them.

Bloody heathens.

If you buy quality (dried) 100% durum wheat semolina pasta, you don't have to.

TamH70

MIA
Why cook a turkey at Xmas…….View attachment 620725

Not only is that real, but there is also a review of it on YouTube, and the guy loved it.

If it were me, I'd heat it first in a pan of water, and pierce the bottom of the can to get it out easier.

GAME aren't doing it anymore, the bastards.

colinmc400

War Hero
Good question. I though they were Beagles but I can't see much black. Too small for Foxhounds? Don't know.
Yeah they are beagles. The boy is lemon coloured(posh doggy speak for ginger) and the other a traditional tri colour. She does have some black on her torso, but has slowly got more tan coloured as she has gotten older.

Can anything be worse than tinned burgers?
My parents divorced when I was 16. My mother moved out and The Old Man and I had to take on cooking duties - duties that neither of us were capable of as my mother had always been i/c cooking. He came back from his first trip to the supermarket with a double-ended tin can - one end containing ‘beef burgers’ in gravy, the other end containing rice. You pierced the can ends and boiled it in a pan of water for x minutes, then tried to open the scalding hot can with a typical scissor-grip opener. It was both lethal and disgusting.

The other one was the ‘peed-on greens’ … he grew purple-sprouting broccoli in the back garden, and would pick some to add to the burgers/rice. One day, he looked out of the kitchen window to see the local tomcat pissing all over the broccoli.

My uncle and aunt were shepherds for 30+ years. Here in Hampshire (I loved their farm near Odiham when I was a kid) and in Ayrshire, where I spent a happy summer before I joined the army.
You grow to hate sheep, the only animal born to die that won’t help itself.
All meat sent to market that wouldn’t sell at the price would come back for the freezer. Mrs R loves “lamb”; I can choke it down.
Saw a whole leg in the supermarket yesterday. £25. And that is one small sheep to provide the “whole leg”

Yes it is. A piece of piss, in fact, with a stand mixer.

Two whole eggs. Yolks only of 3 more. Make up to 180g with water if short - depends on size of eggs. 300g flour, the finer the grind the better. 1/2 tsp salt. Beat to combine. Then mix at speed 2 for 2-3 minutes with dough hook. It should form a nice pliable dough. Let it rest for 20 minutes. Then roll/shape/extrude into desired shape.

This was only the third time I’ve ever made pasta.

View attachment 620708
It shows it looks like cat vomit

Do you remember the NAAFI hot vending machines.

Used to sell hot-ish Chilli Con Carne in ring pull cans.

I used to eat tons of the stuff.

The vending machine at the Marlborough Club in JHQ was in a foyer with 24 hour access.

I got pulled one night (well silly '0' clock in the morning), by the JHQ based Monkeys for wandering down there from York Drive in my jim jams bottoms & no foot wear to buy a tin.

My defence that I sleep walked and I felt very hungry resulted in a lift back to the block and a verbal b*ll*cking.

(Numerous occasions I wake up in the morning with muddy foot prints on the floor in my bunk, muddy feet and dirty sheets with a can or 3 of opened and consumed Chilli Con Carne empty tins on the floor and have no knowledge of the event).

One of the statements/questions made to me was 'What if the Garrison Commander Wife sees you at this hour dressed like that?

My reply that she would be very lucky and does she cook a good breakfast? Nearly ended up with me in the Guard Room.

Some Monkeys (101/102 Provo) had no sense of humour.

I had to lock my bunk door at night to prevent me from wandering.

MO said I had un-resolved issues!!!!*

I would not mind but I was sober and did & still do sleep walk and forage for food at silly '0' clock. (My wife hate me for it. Food purchased for the next day just disappears over night).

*As a child I used to go to bed feeling hungry.

Last edited:
I think you were quite fortunate. The school dinners I remember from about that era in both primary and secondary school were prepared in the kitchens on site and, by and large, were quite poor. There would be one or two favourites, but much of the stuff consisted of low quality mystery meat and overcooked vegetables. Definitely a touch of WW2 about the whole thing.

The only drink on offer was the tap water served into polythene mugs from a metal jug at each table.

Coffee and biscuits were the sole preserve of the teachers in the staff room. Even then, if they were unfortunate enough to be the one rostered on 'playground duty', their coffee would be brought out to them by a pupil 'trusty'; inevitably cold and mostly spilled into the saucer by the time it reached them.
Small village school in a poor sheep farming area only 50 or so pupils.

I think the School Head had build up good contacts with the local retailers/suppliers/farmers.

My Uncle used to go to Manchester for the fresh fruit and veg for the local shops and supply the school. As I helped to lay out the meal tables at lunch time he would pass me a large orange etc off the truck for the afternoon break.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
Only marginally more up-market were Angus Steak Houses. They were once all over the West End and purely there for the tourist market. You never saw them anywhere else. Despite their very poor reputation, there might even be a couple of places still in existence. It's a complete mystery to me how they survived for so long. They certainly would never attract any repeat business.
IIRC, There used to be an Angus Steak House in Brighton . At least till 1996 that I'm aware of.

colinmc400

War Hero
Didn't he get a bit of a kicking on that job? I think it was all on the telly. Mind you, ISTR he got a kicking on most of the jobs he did, seemed to enjoy it!
I saw a more recent version of sort of the same thing, with the focus being on the food hygiene inspectors and their own going battles with the pop up hot dog trolleys. It looks like the current MO is to just leave the trolley where it is and run and not cop the fine/punishment. Go to the supplier of trolleys, get another and start again. Looked pretty well organised with dickers and all sorts on the streets, watching for the inspectors.

Latest Threads