Dogshit awful Supermarket food.

Can anything be worse than tinned burgers?

When push comes to shove there's not a lot of difference between the likes of Aldi, Lidl etc. They are in a race to the bottom to produce the cheapest rubbish that people will fall for.
Credit where it's due, Aldi and Lidl promote British produce way more than their competitors. Apart from the Church of Waitrose, obvs.

As the first POWs from WW2 were arriving in UK, my Dad ( youngest of 7 ) was still at school. The rest were overseas.

A whole bunch of Italians arrived in our bit of Dorset. They were glad to be alive, were no trouble to the guards, were great agricultural workers, sang a lot and were mostly content.

On one occaision my 13 yr old Dad , walking down a lane was given a lift by a lorry load - and wound-up getting off the lorry inside the POW cage.
It truly was that slack - and no-one suffered.

Most people are good

(ps I am well aware of your quality photos of very fit women running their pert bottoms around the countryside.)
Can we just go back to this bit? For those of us who are less aware, may we have a pointer?

Believe me.
If some folk had a guided tour around food factories dealing with animal sourced products be they red or white meat, poultry etc, they would never ever buy any of it again. Ever.
I saw back in the late 90's during an industrial dispute gruntled line workers flicking nose bogles and spitting into the products...which is why I was there as I was involved in ramping up seasonal production staff. One was caught tipping dog toffee in to sausage paste...which has all manner of shit in it already, That factory supplied two household name 1st division "quality" national chains.

I never owned a gun until I was 50 years old.

My motivation for shooting my own, was mostly against factory farming.
I celebrate farmers who care about their animals.
If it is just meat, a commodity - you are todays Nazis - you people who buy a package of white protein , like its taste but won't face up to what happened to put it there ...

Hypocrites or stupid or both .

If it is just meat, a commodity - you are todays Nazis - you people who buy a package of white protein , like its taste but won't face up to what happened to put it there ...

Big Barn (other websites too) list small scale producers by postcode. It's not perfect, but it is a useful starting point. Apologies for the egg suckling instruction.

In the interests of full disclosure, we were on it but are no longer, largely because we aren't sure how we want the meat side of the farm to progress, or indeed regress.

philc

LE
As the first POWs from WW2 were arriving in UK, my Dad ( youngest of 7 ) was still at school. The rest were overseas.

A whole bunch of Italians arrived in our bit of Dorset. They were glad to be alive, were no trouble to the guards, were great agricultural workers, sang a lot and were mostly content.

On one occaision my 13 yr old Dad , walking down a lane was given a lift by a lorry load - and wound-up getting off the lorry inside the POW cage.
It truly was that slack - and no-one suffered.

Most people are good

When living in Italy I brought my first car of a man called Ernesto. He had been in North Africa and ended up in the UK as a POW. Various camps, at one the COs wife to a liking to pasta, so each week he would make some for her, he told her it needed 3 eggs which she supplied, only one went in his pocket so to speak.

He used to say some really funny 40s expressions, it was like listening to some British 40s film, fair copper guvoner, cor blimey type things.

He hated the Germans.

Friends grow pigs. They are in their late 40s, and live on the family farm.
Started growing pigs to show the kids where food comes from.
Chop wood, feed pigs.
Their youngest (about 14) is sick of eating pig. What one say? Apart from “Eat more pig”. I only have three big freezers.

Can anything be worse than tinned burgers?
I remember years ago in the West End, there used to be fleets of burger trolleys run by crooks and spivs. They'd be wheeled out of lockups and flog really shit quality burgers (Westlers?) to tourists for grossly inflated prices. **** knows what the Americans thought. They know a thing or two about burgers.

They'd have plenty of onions permanently on the go to fill the air with the aroma of fried onions to get punters salivating (and presumably to cover the reek of the shit burgers and rancid cooking oil). Food poisoning of some description was virtually guaranteed as they never threw anything away from one day to the next. Food preparation and hygiene standards were something to be laughed at.

They seemed to disappear overnight. I think Westminster council very belatedly got a grip of things.

Only marginally more up-market were Angus Steak Houses. They were once all over the West End and purely there for the tourist market. You never saw them anywhere else. Despite their very poor reputation, there might even be a couple of places still in existence. It's a complete mystery to me how they survived for so long. They certainly would never attract any repeat business.

Mr_Baiter

War Hero
Believe me.
If some folk had a guided tour around food factories dealing with animal sourced products be they red or white meat, poultry etc, they would never ever buy any of it again. Ever.
I saw back in the late 90's during an industrial dispute gruntled line workers flicking nose bogles and spitting into the products...which is why I was there as I was involved in ramping up seasonal production staff. One was caught tipping dog toffee in to sausage paste...which has all manner of shit in it already, That factory supplied two household name 1st division "quality" national chains.
I haven't bought any meat, processed or otherwise, from a supermarket for about 20 years. Either from local butcher, friends, my own sheep or what I shoot. When you've eaten the result of shooting, processing and cooking something you don't really want to go back.

colinmc400

War Hero
Seems like good timing to throw this into the mix, as you either loved them or hated them and pretty sure the advertising would never match the reality. Whilst never ever as good as a home made pud, when partnered with chips/beans/HP sauce/buttered bread for a chip butty and a mug of tea, defo worked for me. To use an Anthony Bourdain saying, likely where the lips and arseoles went.

And the Frey Bentos pies were equally non descript mystery meat, but acceptable if paired with the same sides
SCY040.jpg

Last edited:
1. The Swanson's Turkey & Stuffing frozen TV dinner
01.jpg

The stuffing has the consistency of foam taken out of a pillow, the turkey itself is likely from something that isn't isn't even in the avian family, the gravy is reconstituted runny dog shit, and the potatoes could be used as brick mortar.

2. The Swanson's "Fried" Chicken frozen TV dinner
02.jpg

Three pieces of chicken that were always searingly hot on the outside, but either frozen solid on the inside, or a thawed, bloody mess. The flavour was usually enhanced by the liquid from the apple cobbler bubbling over and onto the chicken itself. The cobbler usually had a dozen or so peas and corn niblets in it.

3. The Swanson's Fish 'n French Fries
swanson-tv-dinner-box-fish-french_1_b78509f3988ca68dfb593f1059232128.jpg

It was the polar opposite of any Yorkshire chippy's offering. Mushy fish, mushy chips, and peas like bullets.

Friends grow pigs. They are in their late 40s, and live on the family farm.
Started growing pigs to show the kids where food comes from.
Chop wood, feed pigs.
Their youngest (about 14) is sick of eating pig. What one say? Apart from “Eat more pig”. I only have three big freezers.

Heresy! Burn him!

Pork is lush and the consumption thereof pleases Odin.

Incidentally, having had an Italian nonna - granny, who taught my mum who then showed my wife - I hadn't realised until recently that most Brits when making lasagne don't actually pre-soak the lasagne sheets in boiling water prior to making lasagne with them.

Bloody heathens.

Say wha? How the hell do they expect to cut the pasta when it's cooked? It's possible to soften it with lots of sauce and a slow gentle heat, but really?

When push comes to shove there's not a lot of difference between the likes of Aldi, Lidl etc. They are in a race to the bottom to produce the cheapest rubbish that people will fall for.

Actually there are. Aldi and Lidl aren't supermarket brands. They run different business models.

Say wha? How the hell do they expect to cut the pasta when it's cooked? It's possible to soften it with lots of sauce and a slow gentle heat, but really?

The sheets are still 'al dente', but to actually think folk are layering their lasagne with initially completely dry pasta sheets... wow...

When we lived in Germany it was much easier to buy fresh pasta sheets so the process is much quicker to be fair.

Latest Threads