Dog Rugby

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Knew a guy who had one. Beautiful, intelligent, strong beast. She was also playful, and liked to play games. She was also gentle as she was playful.
I would not underestimate a Malinois.
Have to say, with much embarrassment, I've completely overlooked the Anatolian Sheepdog.

The one I knew, Jedi, I met while he was in dry dock after taking out three hyenas. I think I've just replaced my original second row.

He's featured here:

Have to say, with much embarrassment, I've completely overlooked ...
... the English bulldog; and it's amazing to see that no John Bull has called you for the spirit, determination, wheezy, can't chase the play or pass the ball 70s characteristics of the breed.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
... the English bulldog; and it's amazing to see that no John Bull has called you for the spirit, determination, wheezy, can't chase the play or pass the ball 70s characteristics of the breed.
if he was that vintage, he was probably also a dentist going up against a southern hemisphere semi-pro.

It's amazing what the 70s considered to be a sporting contest.

I can see two issues with dog rugby. First, one of the dogs would surely cock his leg on the posts. Subsequently they’d all end up having a sniff and adding their own piss. Which would make policing offside a challenge.

And the pitch would end up covered in dog eggs.

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Theres have to be a mongrel in the team, brought over from rugby league.

If that mongrel were a flop then the dog would be named at every opportunity in commentary as former rugby league playing mongrel, if the mongrel was good then no mention of league would ever occur.

With the Rugby World Cup Final fast approaching, there seem to be a lot of pundits picking their team.

In order to pass the time while waiting to collect my Springer from the vet today, where he'd gone for a sewing bee following his latest rash charge into heavy cover after feathered things which resulted in a nasty cut to the shoulder, I wondered what a dog rugby team would look like made up of recognised breeds but no duplicates.

Here's my pick:

Props: Pitbull and Staffy - right size, shape and bags of aggression
Hooker: Jack Russell - typifies the idea of the size of the fight in the dog. I did toy with a Patterdale but the yellow card count would be prohibitive.
2nd Row: Great Dane and Irish Wolfhound - long leggy speed merchants
Open Side: Springer Spaniel - fearless and runs forever, first to the breakdown without question.
Blindside: Dalmation - the right combination of bulk, speed and stamina.
Number 8: Rhodesian Ridgeback - lots of go forward
Scrum Half: Cocker Spaniel - speed, intelligence and extremely annoying
Fly Half: Border Collie - Intelligent and clearly the key playmaker
Inside Centre: Labrador - reasonably quick and bulky
Outside Centre: Rottweiler - guaranteed linebreak
Wings: Whippet and Greyhound - self evident
Full Back: Alsatian - ultimate all-rounder

Clearly this team is nailed on for rugby glory.
I've always thought as scrum halves as being Jack Russells, yap yap yap.

Anyway, this is my daughter's second rower:

Finn.jpg

She should have called him Maro.

Theres have to be a mongrel in the team, brought over from rugby league.

If that mongrel were a flop then the dog would be named at every opportunity in commentary as former rugby league playing mongrel, if the mongrel was good then no mention of league would ever occur.
Former league players would be whippets surely? Flat caps and all.

There are no Tongan or Samoan pedigree dogs, only mongrels. It’s pretty risky being a stray mongrel in Tonga; they’re quite partial to dining on strays.