Dog in Barracks

Apologies if this thread is posted in the incorrect forum. Also the question is slightly generic considering the many regiment/corps differing rules.

However, does anybody know if it is possible as an officer, to keep your dog with you in barracks?

Kind Rgds

A good friend of mine is a Captain, in the Guards. He keeps his dog in the mess. Though I don't know if he had to ask permission 1st?

According to my late donkey walloping uncle Sid, back in the days of the RAJ when he was busy bayonetting Pathans up the Khyber, soldiers were entitled to keep a dog and a horse.

I know of a SNCO who after being told he could not have his dog in the sgt's mess promptly moved into one of the blocks and took up residence in a single room.

The dog was a pup and was doing as pups do Piss and crap all over the place in between chewing the furniture.

yes you can, however, there is a procedure before this is allowed:
It has to have had its injections etc, if anyone objects then you can't, forms to be filled out, child-gate on your office and other safety related stuff.
Your RSM should be able to enlighten you.
Oh, and clean up its poo

Did they smuggle them in?
No it was peanuts and tic tacs that were smuggled, except in the case of a friend of mine (who joined the R Signals) who used to smuggle Chieftain wheelnuts, even when wearing a thick wetsuit :wink:

Depends on the mess and the CO & PMC's attitude to dogs in general. If your mess is contractorised it may well be a no-no. If your mess is dog-friendly the mutt will still have to be well behaved and you will need to have an answer to the question 'who will look after it when you are away fro the day / on exercise / deployed'. Best course of action might be to join the mess, see how the ground lies and then ask for permission once you're happy you have a workable plan.

Don't expect everyone to like your dog, by the way. If your fellow officers or soldiers think its a pain in the arrse, all sorts of horrible things can end up happening to it.

I know a bloke who had a dog.could not get permission to keep it in the block.he just married the **** instead,and,they gave the **** a pads quarter.

Whilst we're on the subject, is there a regulation for bringing dogs into work or is it just officers allowed to do so?

According to my late donkey walloping uncle Sid, back in the days of the RAJ when he was busy bayonetting Pathans up the Khyber, soldiers were entitled to keep a dog and a horse . . . . .
. . . . . in the Mess ?!!

Contractors' do not decide who or what occupies a military mess.
My experience may end in 2006, but I think (if the contract hasn't been properly negotiated) that the Mess Committee report to the Contractors rather than vice-versa. Certainly such random things as meal and bar timings were set by the Contractor and any, even minor, variation to these cost an awful lot of money while things we had paid for such as batting were subject to the vagaries of the staff actually turning in.

God forbid that an early breakfast might be booked for something like a range day. It would be promised, but all that would be presented would be a darkened dining room and a locked kitchen.

There was rumour of a thing called "the contract". It was readily available to Mess Members to examine in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard".

[scandal] I can only presume that the Garrison QM and the Contract Manager discussed levels of service and agreed they were fine at the 19th hole, as part of a discussion about how the former would shortly move over to work with the latter [/scandal]

Pombsen not any more, Plume you're right - Contractors run the mess - ergo they run cleaning and facilities, because inevitably the contract was not negotiated by a contract expert, but rather the QM and the cunning civvies will have engineered ALOT of small print into it. Saw it in Germany upon the switch to pay-as-you-dine and in the UK on civilianisation of messes. The civvies will also be around at odd timings (so you can't leave your dog about, or they might be "scared"). So, you may be granted permission by your CO to keep a dog in the mess, but then won't get your room cleaned, can never leave the dog there without flashing lights and warning signs.

And no, no early meals without triplicate forms applied 7 years in advance.

Around work, again you require permission to keep dogs in the work place, normally register it with a garrison bod (ensuring it has all jabs - esp kennel cough) and advertise the fact it's there, in case anyone else takes offence - it's almost as popular as smoking these days...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
the_rigger The NAAFI Bar 6
S The Intelligence Cell 1
A Sappers 6