Dog Handler

My Son is 15 and expressed an interest to join the Army late last year., We went to the Army Careers office in our local town. I could not fault the recruitment officer. He encouraged my son to try and get his GCSE's and have a think about what career he wanted to do. Originally he want to be a medic. Fast forward to a month ago and he said he wanted to be a dog handler.

We have never owned any pets so I suggested he try and do some work at a animal rescue (RSPCA) shelter to get some experience. Unfortunately they are closed due to COVID-19 which may limit his time to get the experience. I have the impression he thinks he can just walk into that role. Trying to be practical I mentioned that there 384 (approx) dogs in the Army so there is going to be competition for the posts. . Also with technology advances e.g. Boston Dynamics robot dogs, £800m announced for Technology projects ( UK version of DARPA) will almost certainly have an effect in the next 10 years or so on numbers. Drones can be replaced very quickly, dogs can't

I am more than happy to support him and at the same time tried to be practical.

Any insights or thoughts on how he can work towards this would be much appreciated.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Go to Amazon and search 'Stumpy and the Auld Sapper' . It will tell him all he needs to know about being in the Army and being a dog handler.

Latest Threads