Dog handler

Hey,

Much to my parents disappointment, I decided on a career as an accountant instead of a military career, coming from a longgggg line of military family members and both my parents having a long career in as army officers with both my siblings now being in the army too now. You can see why they aren’t too pleased I’ve chosen a civilian career I’ve decided I need to do my part and join as a reservist.
Unfortunately, all my family are completely useless at advice for this becuase they are all full time.
I’ve decided for this part of my contribution, I’d really like to go as a Reserve Dog Handler but I have a few questions that aren’t available online (that I can find).
1) Is this an over subscribed reserve role? My mother tells me it’s over filled as full time so is this the case for reserves?
2) I can see about weekly evening meets and week/ 2 weeks courses during the year which is fine, but how does this work with regards to a dog handler? I can’t imagine I’d be with a dog during my weekly meets
3) My local TA centre is an engineers regiment I think? (Ashford,Kent) so would I just join my local unit or as a dog handler would I be expected to be a part of a specific dog handlers unit for regular meets?
5) How does promotion work in the reserves? I know it’s a while off but does promotion go up to WO1? Can’t imagine going on deployment and having to tell full time (real soilders) what’s right and wrong if you’re a reserve WO1?! And also the chances of anyone getting that far up?
4) If I’ve missed anything please do let me know!

Apologises if I’ve made myself look stupid or I’ve got anything incorrect, feel free to correct me.

TIA,

Adam.

Hey,

Much to my parents disappointment, I decided on a career as an accountant instead of a military career, coming from a longgggg line of military family members and both my parents having a long career in as army officers with both my siblings now being in the army too now. You can see why they aren’t too pleased I’ve chosen a civilian career I’ve decided I need to do my part and join as a reservist.
Unfortunately, all my family are completely useless at advice for this becuase they are all full time.
I’ve decided for this part of my contribution, I’d really like to go as a Reserve Dog Handler but I have a few questions that aren’t available online (that I can find).
1) Is this an over subscribed reserve role? My mother tells me it’s over filled as full time so is this the case for reserves?
2) I can see about weekly evening meets and week/ 2 weeks courses during the year which is fine, but how does this work with regards to a dog handler? I can’t imagine I’d be with a dog during my weekly meets
3) My local TA centre is an engineers regiment I think? (Ashford,Kent) so would I just join my local unit or as a dog handler would I be expected to be a part of a specific dog handlers unit for regular meets?
5) How does promotion work in the reserves? I know it’s a while off but does promotion go up to WO1? Can’t imagine going on deployment and having to tell full time (real soilders) what’s right and wrong if you’re a reserve WO1?! And also the chances of anyone getting that far up?
4) If I’ve missed anything please do let me know!

Apologises if I’ve made myself look stupid or I’ve got anything incorrect, feel free to correct me.

TIA,

Adam.
1. Probably not as very few, if any, reserve units are completely manned and will turn away good recruits.

2. You might find it difficult to regularly attend drill nights as the only reserve dog handling unit is 101 Military Working Dog Squadron which is based in North Luffenham. The unit is nationally recruited so this probably won't be a huge issue. You can expect the majority of training to be conducted at weekends in addition to a 2 week annual camp.

3. You would need to join 101 Military Working Dog Squadron in North Luffenham.

4. Promotion criteria are set by individual capbadges but in general to be promoted you need to be qualified to the required level in your trade, in this case dog handling, and qualified to the required level in Command, Leadership and Management (CLM). Additionally there will be a number of years required in a rank before you can promote to the next one and in order to promote you must be recommended for promotion in your annual report. Promotion in the reserves goes up to WO1 for soldiers and there are opportunities to subsequently gain a commission, this is in line with the regulars. Your rank applies equally to reservists and regulars and you will be expected to command regular soldiers if necessary once you are an NCO.

5. I don't think you've missed anything but you might want to take a look at this link to get an idea of what they do and address any other questions you have to them using the phone number supplied in the article. You might also consider getting your username on here changed to something which isn't your real name.

Does anyone actually know what the waiting times for this job role actually are? I just finished selection today and got told I was the top candidate with an A grade pass, the highest scores in the group on the aptitude test (66) and a very high score on the TST. I also got a run time of 8:32 on the 1.5 mile. I have been offered pretty much every job role in the British army except for nurse apparently (devastated )
I'm very interested in the dog handler job role and don't mind waiting/hoping I would get picked over others because of my results. I also want to know if it's possible to do p company whilst in the RAVC as I would eventually want to work up to being one of the infantry patrol dog handlers attached to the parachute regiment.

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place but I find this site quite confusing to navigate.

Found out myself, there's two intakes a year one in September and one in April from what I've gathered. My CSM has managed to get me onto the insight course April 11th and potentially start April 29th if I pass the interview stage! I'm going to go along and give it my best and at the same time see what I think as its possible I might not like it. If not I'll give the parachute regiment a bash.