Dog Handler/Trainer selection board (between 25-29th Oct 2010).

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by LadyJaffa, Sep 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey there im looking for detailed advice from someone who has been to the Dog handler/trainer selection board in Melton Mowbray. I have spoken to a few people who have been there and passed, but they dont seem to give a clear picture on what goes on... iv been told you do a PFT, and have an interview (and thats all i have been told for definate)! surely theres more... a tour of the camp was mentioned, but what other tests are there? Someone also told me you need to write an essay on why you want the job. This is only word of mouth though. My recruiter does not have much information on the subject and just told me to be positive and give it my all? which is what i would do anyway...Can anybody help give me with a detailed run through of the 2 day selection?
    Also is there anybody else going for their 2 day selection in Melton Mowbray between the dates 25th- 29th October 2010??? there are four altogether.
    Thanks to anybody who can enlighten me. :omfg:
  2. a. Day One. Whilst visiting the different departments and viewing demonstrations within the DAC, you are expected to wear clean suitable clothing. Comfortable footwear (not trainers) should also be worn as the DAC covers a large area; a warm waterproof jacket is recommended. For military personnel, CS 95 is to be worn. (You will be walking up to 2 miles and through fields suitable footwear should be worn)
    b. Fitness. During your stay you will conduct a Personal Fitness Test (PFT). Serving Soldiers are expected to pass at their respective grade for age and gender; Standard Entrants results will be viewed subjectively and used to ascertain projected ability to pass Phase One training. Sports clothing, including suitable running trainers will be required for the fitness assessment. (Males under the age 0f 30=50 Press Ups, 50 Sit Ups, Run time under 10.30)(Females under the age of 30=50Sit Ups, Press Ups 21, Run time under 13.00)
    c. Evening. You will be taken through the interview process and interview techniques.
    d. Day Two. For the interview smart clothing is suggested. As a minimum, male candidates should wear a shirt and tie, a lounge suit is ideal. Females should wear the female equivalent, which is a minimum of smart trousers/skirt with blouse, skirt/trouser suit is ideal. For military personnel, CS 95 should be worn.

Basically what you have been told by your Recruiter already, you should of been given the Joining Instructions, just remember BIG BROTHER is watching you the minute you get down there and put in 100% as you will find out they will select the best applicants for the job. Just have very good reasons why you want to be a dog handler and explain what experience you already have with training dogs.
  3. I'll see you there ;-)

Details I've received through are the same as per the IRON :)

ps. I'm pretty/reasonably terrified!
  4. Ok Thanks for your reply, i have the joining instructions with all that on just wanted to know if there's anything else not mentioned to expect...guess i will just have to wait until i get down there! im going to give it my all and see what happens.
  5. I'm going for my selection on the 26th and 27th. Absolutely bricking it, mostly because theres so little information as to what to expect, the JIs aren't exactly enlightening. My recruiter told me you get suited up and have a dog set on you, but I couldn't tell if he was just ******* with me or not.

As has been said on every other thread I could find here, I'd love some more information, mostly about what they ask you in the interview.
  6. Exactly i wanted to know the same! im there the same dates as you. Iv been told there are only 8 people on our selection, so will be a quiet one haha well i guess we will just have to wait and see what happens with the interview...i personally would love to have a go at the baiter/intruder thing! All the fun of being a dog handler :D im sure we will be fine once we get there, they will brief us on what the selection will involve. See ya tuesday!
  7. Yeah, I'm just gonna try and enjoy it, should be interesting even if I don't pass. See you tomorrow, good luck!
  8. I had the test on the last day which i think was the 27th and i passed,
    would be good to chat to others who passed

Dont be stupid - Disco
  9. I was there 24th-25th and passed too, I go to Pirbright on the 9th of April...have you had your start date?