Dog Handler tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I have applied to the Army to become a dog handler, I have currently passed my medical and I am awaiting a phone call to chat to me further about everything. I have been told the next intake is January, which I'm fine with. It gives me time to prepare.

I currently work in a veterinary practice and have done for three years. I also have 5 dogs as pets. My fitness is up to scratch and I can do the 1.5 mile run a minute under the time needed so fitness isn't a worry for me especially seeing as I have over 6 months to boost this up.

I know a lot of people apply to be a dog handler. I'm hoping the veterinary experience will give me a slight advantage, is there anything else I can do to give me a little boost?

Any general tips about becoming a dog handler? I have read the previous posts on the forum but there's nothing since 2013!

I'm 20 and a female, not that it makes a difference.

The_Duke

LE
Dog handler is a small intake with lots of applicants, so the odds are stacked against you. You need to score very highly on ADSC to have a realistic chance.
You should give some serious thought to whether your goal is to be a dog handler, or to join the army. From that, you can then consider your second and third choices.

Thank you for the quick and informative response! In theory if I do pass the ADSC tests with a high result would you say the experience in the veterinary world would help?

Is there anything you can think of that would give me an advantage? Apart from the ADSC score...

My goal is both to join the army and also become a dog handler. The idea of mixing the two is great.

If I don't get in, do they let you know straight away so you can then apply to something else?

Thanks again for your help!

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
And guys, I did use the search function. The most recent post is from 2013/2014 so apologies that I wanted some more relevant information.

Rizzoli

Clanker
To further this, does anyone have information on the specifics of Dog Handler selection?

I've been put forward for it, and at my ADSC interview my interviewer (very briefly) went over some of what I would have to do. He more or less said press-ups, sit-ups, some dog anatomy, and seeing if you're comfortable picking up dog mess.

I'm currently waiting on a medical deferral to be cleared, and am training and studying. However it would help to know my min. targets. That way if I'm lacking in a particular area I can really focus on that.

Thank you in advance to any help given.

See things like that I'd be fine with, I'm a Student Veterinary nurse so I do a lot around animals so I'm hoping it'll give me a mega bonus.

Thank you for the quick and informative response! In theory if I do pass the ADSC tests with a high result would you say the experience in the veterinary world would help?

Is there anything you can think of that would give me an advantage? Apart from the ADSC score...

My goal is both to join the army and also become a dog handler. The idea of mixing the two is great.

If I don't get in, do they let you know straight away so you can then apply to something else?

Thanks again for your help!

I think (though I'm not absolutely certain) that the army will select you on your army stuff. You can't teach motivation. The actual dog course is really easy. It pains me to say it, but @The_Duke is right. Work on appealing to the army generally rather than vet corps specifically. There are other dog handling opportunities in the army once you're in.

That makes sense. So as long as I focus on smashing my fitness and showing how much I want to be in the army that's all I can do really?

That makes sense. So as long as I focus on smashing my fitness and showing how much I want to be in the army that's all I can do really?

The vet corps teach what's required of an army dog handler. Previous experience is not required. The army are fairly unique in this respect. They want to train you their way, so aren't really usually very impressed with your background unless you're trying to join as a doctor or the padre.

Work on being an attractive soldier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads