Dog handler/ combat medical technician

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by eking1987, Apr 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am in the very early stages of the selection process. I am doing my pre selection test on tuesday (1st May).

My first job choice is very much to be a dog handler, my second is to be a combat medical technician. (3rd is Gunner Crewman)

I was just wondering if there any serving soldiers that could give a brief over view of these roles. I've done a lot of research but it would be nice to hear about these particular jobs. Whats the phase 2 training like? Fitness requirements for these roles, if different from other medical/combat roles. Anything else you make think will be of interest/benefit to me.

I'm very excited to hopefully be accepted and to start training. This isn't to say i'm naive. I know that this is going to be ridiculously hard and will test my mental and physical strength. I've never wanted anything so much in my life. To have a career helping/protecting people is everything to me. Thanks guys.
  2. Strange choice, dog handler, cmt or gunner crewman are you sure you know what you really want to do?
  3. I know exactly what i want.

I am female and after the barb test i was given a list of 30 roles. Veterinary technician wasn't in the list unfortunately. (Not exactly sure why i as i have experience and qualifications to suppor that role) A lot of the 30 roles do not interest me so after researching them all i decide upon dog handler, cmt and gunner crewman.
  4. Well you may know what you want to do, but you have 3 very different roles within the army.
    As for Phase 2 training all 3 roles with have very different training.
    The one thing they will all have will be keeping up your fitness level before getting to your corps/regiment.
  5. Have you considered Operating Department Practitioner (ODP)?