Dog GPS

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
Couldn't find any other forum to post this in so this'll do, please move if somewhere more suitable. Anyone out there got any recommendations on GPS trackers for pooches? The ones I find online need monthly subscriptions, just looking for something cheap we can stick on the pooches and access if situation requires. TIA.

Keep your mutt on a lead if you can't trust it.

9v Blue strobe light. alternately a 12v Claxton, dog portable, activated via a mobile phone app, both come with an adjustable appliance mounting harness. one size fits.. Children's versions are available.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't have one so can't comment on it, does seem to fit your requirement though.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
most gps trackers require a monthly or yearly payment
usually around 60 quid a year
I had one that uses a giffgaff sim, so you just bung a tenner on the card PAYG , then ring it and it texts you back its location and a map
however it did not come with its own power supply, and fitting it into a box along with a battery would make it too ;large

however this may be better suited to you, its self powered, signal via bluetooth, and if the dog vanishes you can put it on alert, and any other phones in the area with bluetooth on will ping its location
a friend fitted a handful of these into his power tool boxes, well concealed, the van was hit tools nicked, but the crims had bluetooth switched on, and it tracked them to their final location
cue visit from the blue monsters, and 2 weeks work emptying the barn out
and a long court case

most gps trackers require a monthly or yearly payment
usually around 60 quid a year
I had one that uses a giffgaff sim, so you just bung a tenner on the card PAYG , then ring it and it texts you back its location and a map
however it did not come with its own power supply, and fitting it into a box along with a battery would make it too ;large

however this may be better suited to you, its self powered, signal via bluetooth, and if the dog vanishes you can put it on alert, and any other phones in the area with bluetooth on will ping its location
a friend fitted a handful of these into his power tool boxes, well concealed, the van was hit tools nicked, but the crims had bluetooth switched on, and it tracked them to their final location
and a long court case

What did the thieving scum bags get? only I ask as I had many of my hard earned English ££'s worth of power tools stolen from my van, and they never caught the buggers, my apologies for blatant thread drift.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
What did the thieving scum bags get? only I ask as I had many of my hard earned English ££'s worth of power tools stolen from my van, and they never caught the buggers, my apologies for blatant thread drift.
not gone to court yet, over 3 thousand items recovered, they are still tracing it, plus all the IT equipment they used has been seized along with phone

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
...however this may be better suited to you, its self powered, signal via bluetooth, and if the dog vanishes you can put it on alert, and any other phones in the area with bluetooth on will ping its location
and a long court case
So one of the scumbags had the Tile ap running on his phone?
If your Tile is truly lost, just activate the Tile community and every phone running the Tile app can anonymously help you find it.
It reads to me that you need to be part of the 'tile community' not just some random with Bluetooth enabled on their phone.

Disappointed, I expected this thread to about dogging

I walk my working cocker spaniel about 7 miles most days, and he's off the leash for about 6 of those.

He tears about, following scent trails, chasing the odd pheasant etc, so I bought a PitPat fitness tracker (fitbit), which velcros onto the collar, to get an idea of what mileage he covers, probably twice as much as me.

The stored data blue tooths to an app with your dog's bio detail to give you a time/ distance/ calorie burn.

Well, that's the sales bumf, it was actually turbo shit.
It was routinely showing him covering less distance than my TomTom sports watch reckoned I was.

After giving a free replacement a trial, we had the same results, so binned it off for a refund.

I Harry blacked (racist pig, I know) a garmin to his collar for a trial run, so I've now got a feel for his distance covered.

Last edited:

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
I have been using a dog tracker called Tractive for three years now. Austrian make. No range problems - it gives worldwide coverage. Delivers location of dog to your mobile phone, a choice of map displays or aerial/satellite photo image. Several other features too, like a historic visual image (blue line on map) between user-defined start and finish date/times. You can actuate a small LED from your mobile, which can assist in the dark, and there is a small buzzer, ditto, if you can train your dog to respond to that in some way.
The screen display can be shared with other users at no extra cost; it shows location of dog and location of device.
Usually it updates the dog location every ten minutes or so, then if you want Live Tracking (2 second updates) you press a button onscreen. Live tracking is heavy on your mobile battery, which is why the feature isn't on permanently. I always carry a Powerbank battery pack for my phone just in case.

Not particularly expensive - about £40 to buy. There is a monthly fee; the rate drops quite significantly if you bung on a bit in advance. I do two years worth at a time, and it runs out at about £4 a month I think, for what they call their Premium service. The Standard service is a bit less.

I swear by it.

Edit: In normal use the historic record just shows a straight blue line connecting the 10 minute ping points, so the total distance the dog has travelled is not accurate. If you want an accurate record of distance the dog has covered, you can do it by keeping Live Tracking activated (red line) but as I said, this is heavy on your mobile battery. Live Tracking auto switches off after about 10 minutes and you have to keep reactivating it.

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
I wouldn't recommend GPS collars as they seem to run on teacakes and only work if they want to. Two cases:

I know a local gamekeeper who when training his new pups to work, bought a GPS collar so if the pup did decide to wander or run off, he could get an accurate fix in a timely matter. Nope, didn't ever get a signal, despite apparently swapping for a new one and ringing customer support.

The second case is in the US. I have friends who live in a pretty secluded part of Washington State and they bought GPS collars for their dogs and cats after one of the dogs was attacked by a mountain lion sufficiently enough it had to be put to sleep.

A week or two later, one of their cats went missing - a coyote attack, they think - and the GPS collar kept showing it was on their property. They couldn't find it. The remains of the cat, collar attached, was found a little while later by a hiker and didn't look to have any damage.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I Harry blacked (racist pig, I know) a garmin to his collar for a trial run, so I've now got a feel for his distance covered.
Six years ago I worked briefly in the Garmin factory locally....they were selling dog tracking collars then....try their website and stop being so out and out PISO

Keep your mutt on a lead if you can't trust it.
Can't agree with that enough.

My Mini Schnauzer should never be let off the lead unless it's in an enclosed space because:
1. A high prey instinct, if it moves its interested from a hedgehog to a deer. It's off after it and nothing will stop it.
2. If it's towards sundown the fecker disappears within 10 feet due to his colouring.

The amount of run-ins we've had with dogs off leads * attacking us is becoming tiresome to the point I often carry "deterrent" spray now.

*except Spaniels and Labradors, they are always well behaved and my hund will run with them to infinity. . . . . but never keep up.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads