DOG - Do or not Do that is the question

Risk it or Give it up

  • Go for it

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forget about it

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters


Sorry for misleading you!

I found a stray, which although in good shape and pretty well trained, has not yet been collected. result - I have offered to re-home it.

Problem: i have just split from my 'less than better half' but have used the joint house for the home visit. The lady thought my life would suit the dog perfectly - i am on the hills 4 days out of five, and my job (as well as my new landlord) is happy with the 'adoption' - BUT there is a contract to be signed (agreeing things like: I won't make it sleep outside, the fences will be raised to 6 ft around the garden etc) and there is a 6 week home visit.

I want this dog (a collie) and know that it will be a good move SO do I a) sign the contract, move to the new house and tell them I have moved just before the home visit is due or b) confess now before I sign or pay for the neutering and accept they wont give me the dog?

The irony = if I bought a dog for a few hundred pounds - they wouldnt check or care how it was kept!
I would do a because if you know in your heart that you can give that dog a good home that would be good enough for me,if I was breeding dogs,A collie could quite easily clear a 6 foot fence anyway so thats not an issue,plus on the 6 week home visit the person will be able to judge if the dog is happy and at the end of the day that is the most important thing,so I would say go for it


thanks - I just suspect they will go ballistic that I am not in the same house - would they pass the next house ... ? The way I see it, if the dog has a good and happy life, it's not a problem ... only the contract makes it seem different ... 'I won't make it sleep outside in a kennel ... ' FFS
I don't think they will go ballistic because it shows that whatever happens you are prepared to give that dog a home and the most important thing at the end of the day is the fact that you will spend so much time with the dog.The main thing they worry about is someone getting a dog and then leaving it on its own all day and then getting fed up with the damage the dog does and then throwing the dog out on the streets


oops, i just questioned the rigidity of the contract (semi-anon) on their forum site, and got PMd by the home visit lady - i am so dull sometimes. lets hope they agree with you!

cheers buddy, fingers crossed


decided to come clean with them ... whats the bet they stiff me anyway?

Dear Hope Rescue

This is not an easy letter to write, but the last few days have been particularly fast-moving and unsettling, and I feel bound to declare the situation to you.

I am hoping to take ownership of the collie ‘Bryn’ who is currently at Pantymilah (?) Kennels, and passed your home visit yesterday evening.
I found the dog while he was wandering around *********, and informed the Dog Warden that I would be keen to give the dog a home if it remained unclaimed.

In the week between finding the collie and hosting your home visit a lot has happened. Unfortunately my relationship with **** has terminally and irreversibly collapsed (for a variety of deep rooted personal reasons which I wish to keep private), and she is buying my half of the house off me. I have today committed to a rental property (3 bedroom with garden, and permission to have a dog) in **********, and will be moving in on the *** February for a period of 6 months while I purchase my next home. I am afraid I wasn’t entirely upfront with you yesterday as the situation was a little overwhelming and in order that I didn’t compromise the chance of having the dog, I decided to continue with the visit and create some thinking space whilst I discovered the full details of the adoption process.

I understand that you do a home visit, and that obviously yesterdays is now largely void, however I would like to present my reasons / argument for still proceeding with the adoption – the decision, in full possession of the facts is then up to you.

I have been seriously looking to buy a dog for the last 6 months – although had not thought to look at Rescue dogs - however, I have wanted a dog all my life. My parents always had rabbits, but my close family had dogs, and I always took every opportunity to walk and play with them – further to this, I own a rabbit who is in fantastic condition and living a superb life.
I initially fancied a collie (and indeed had a stray collie in Swansea which I had to give up because of house-mates), but decided that a Welsh Springer might be more suitable – largely because they are smaller in size, a consideration which is no longer important. I have discussed having a dog with my boss, and have been given permission to take him to work with me – which means he will be out on the hills with me for 4 days out of 5. My students are happy with this, and are looking forward to having a dog on the course again (which has been something of a tradition for my course, it turns out). I will be living alone, which means I have no distractions or responsibilities other than the dog and my job, and as a professional earning over £20 000 pa I am definitely in a position to take on this responsibility.
‘Bryn’ seems perfect for me: he is a smart, apparently well trained dog and seems particularly patient and docile, whilst also being an active and intelligent animal. I don’t wish to appear childish, but I don’t want a dog, I want this dog. I believe that it is fated that our paths crossed (particularly with the timing and change of personal circumstances) and equally that he has not been claimed. While I am sorry for being a little flexible with the truth, I would like to highlight that on finding a stray (dirty, bedraggled and wearing no collar) I did not just keep / steal him, but followed the correct procedure and handed him in – I did not have to do this, and indeed may live to regret it.
I can provide a healthy life for ‘Bryn’ – guaranteeing that he is active everyday and indeed that he will have a sound walk (of at least and hour and a half) everyday in addition to morning walks and the time spent on the hills through work. I have already acquired a bed, a lead and bowl for ‘Bryn’ and have a home for us to move into – plus **** is happy that I have the dog in the meantime. This is not a rush decision, and I have a solid network of friends and colleagues with dogs in support of the decision and adoption. Equally it is no boast as to the extent of his exercise opportunities, as I am a Mountain Leader and Climbing Instructor and spend most weekends canoeing, climbing or hill walking, as well as running three times a week.

This dog and I have a connection, and deserve the chance to have a happy and secure life together. I don’t wish to sound threatening, but if I don’t succeed in adopting ‘Bryn’ I will only return to my original plan of purchasing a dog – except it won’t be this dog which I have become attached to, and ‘Bryn’ will equally have returned to the list of dogs in your care.
You have met me, and agree that my lifestyle suits the dog and vice versa, I would hope that the change in my personal circumstances does not change your judgement of my character. At the time of adoption my address is Caerphilly, and therefore officially recorded as ‘out of county’, and I would hope that the interest and welfare of the dog comes before bureaucratic requirements and red tape.
I believe that this sums up my argument, although there is bound to be something I have forgotten and wish I had included!

I initially asked that you make an informed decision as to my adoption of ‘Bryn’ but I would extend that now, please make it possible that this process continues. I care about this dog, I want this dog, and I can provide a safe, secure, active and loving lifestyle for him – surely that is better than him continuing to use your resources while he waits to be re-homed or destroyed – while other dogs miss out on the opportunity of your help.

I am willing to provide this dog with a home and affection; I implore you to enable this to happen. I acknowledge that is irregular, however I continue to put the dogs welfare and lifestyle at the forefront of my argument. I would be happy to provide a Curriculum Vitae and references to support your assessment of my character.

Yours faithfully,


watch this space
If they turn you down after that they shouldn't be in the job of rehoming dogs,what more could they want good luck mate
A great letter Onfire, i hope you get to keep him as you sound like you can offer Bryn a great life.

Keep us informed




thanks guys, on re-reading my letter it seems a little pseudo-gay ... but:


I would have preferred it if you had been truthful, but understand your reasons for not.

The most important thing for us is the dogs welfare. There isn't anything you have said that I feel would compromise Bryn's welfare. I would have to do a follow up check in a months time still so can check the new house out properly then.

So basically Hope Rescue are still happy for you to adopt Bryn

Sod the rules. Go for it. What should be in focus here is the dog. They should be able to recognise your intentions as excellent. So what to a home visit - what if you were in their 'perfect house' when visited but moved to a 14th floor flat the day after final home visit?

New Posts

Latest Threads