Dog cleaning after shoot etc

Doggo decon.
I've always washed my doggos paws off in lukewarm water with a small dash of hibertain in a big buiders tub if he gets muddy, however its a pain as given the age of the house he has to be carried or have a long runner laid out to get to kitchen, we have now had a confirmed case of foot rot on local meadow land (now OOB of course),has anyone used the pump action shower/sprayer type things i was looking at Hozelock as choice, and if they have are they any good for lab/gsd/gr sized dogs, alas pinching the fire extingusher nbc/cbrn kit from stores is not an option, popped in here due to working dogs being cleaned before getting put in the range rover etc

I have tried the “garden sprayer” for my two cockers, it works but is a bit fiddly and takes time. Manipulating the wand can be a bit tricky given it’s length and the size of my dogs, may be easier with larger dogs or shorter wand. Go for the biggest capacity and highest pressure you can as you use more water than you realise when washing them down. Worth keeping the sprayer indoors so as to take the edge of the water temp and stops it freezing up if frosty.

Overall worth ago if you don’t have access to an outdoor hose or you are away from civilisation.

You are treating your dog like a wuss if you use lukewarm water, just break the ice and chuck em in.:eek:

Portable pump up shower from Decathlon or Amazon. 15l capacity, £35.
I could have made a fortune with a couple of those on Spearpoint...

How's your DIY?

Also have you seen dog dry bags?

Last edited:
We have a dog paddling pool for the dogs to jump into when it’s hot, it‘ll easily double up as a bath.

We obviously don’t use it in the cold weather, when they get mucky a rub down with a towel initially then a good brush sorts them out. (They‘re border collies, having a double helps).

I have used this on my two German Shepherds for some time now and it has never let me down. Reasonable price as well.

Also have you seen dog dry bags?
AKA “Sack race”...This does not work for your average springer... a better bet is the Equafleece range of fleecy jumpers etc, a bit of a wriggle getting them in, but they’re usually toasty and dry by the time you get home.

AKA “Sack race”...This does not work for your average springer... a better bet is the Equafleece range of fleecy jumpers etc, a bit of a wriggle getting them in, but they’re usually toasty and dry by the time you get home.
Yup, have one of the latter, they are great.

Blogg

LE
Been toying with idea of one of these.

Can plumb in as utility room has hot & cold water supply and outside wall faces on to gravelled area, but really need to get some sort of drainage sorted first as in wet periods already have a bit of a swamp to contend with

ugly

LE
0A sells the hotter dog stuff I put the dog coats on them at lunch and for the journey home and it dries them out. A mate had a hot water outside tap fitted for his pointer and is happy with it!
Only if mine go into something foul do I shower them

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We have a building in the yard which has our biomass boiler in. It’s nice and warm in there.

Dog goes in there for a few hours to dry off and gets a quick rub down with a towel.

No need for any baths, showers, hoses etc.

0A sells the hotter dog stuff I put the dog coats on them at lunch and for the journey home and it dries them out. A mate had a hot water outside tap fitted for his pointer and is happy with it!
Only if mine go into something foul do I shower them
Hotter dog are made by Equafleece for ‘the trade’, the fabric isn’t as good, but they’re cheaper.

ugly

LE
Hotter dog are made by Equafleece for ‘the trade’, the fabric isn’t as good, but they’re cheaper.
Yup 0A is an approved supplier

hicky

Old-Salt
If you have a dog box etc fill it with wood shavings(minus dust) or hay and depending on your trip home they should be fairly clean.
We have an outdoor hose, they get that with some dog shampoo then towelled off and into the house with some warm grub. The following morning a quick check over for injuries unseen on the wash and probably clean their ears out.

"Dog cleaning after shoot etc"

A good pull through with oily 4x2, followed by a dry pull through and the dog will love you forever.

mad_collie

Old-Salt
I hose down the labrador & husky, quick rub with a towel, then chuck on a drying coat from here.

No wet dog smell & nice & toasty.

theinventor

Old-Salt
+1 for the zip-up dog bag (head in the neck hole, zip in)
Always a laugh the first time a new dog tries to jump out of the car while still inside it.

I 'encourage' my cocker into his bath at the end of every walk, followed by a vigorous rub down with an old towel.

I say 'his bath', but in reality it's a shared facility - the stream running through the village, and normally he's in there like a shot, unless it's harry icers, and the nudge comes into play.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting 20
Bobby_Bert Jobs Offered 5
LazyCaretaker Blue Jokes 0

Latest Threads