• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Dog/cat sitting/window cleanning/grass cutting allowances

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was at Chilwell for a briefing last week and it was mentioned in conversation that there are allowances available for dog/cat sitting, grass cutting, window cleaning and so forth.

Anyone know anything about these as I've just had to pay £180 to have the cats looked after whilst I went on a course because the better half is deployed.

It's not a wah....

I was with the RAO of a TA unit recently and this topic was being discussed...

They mentioned grass cutting and also kennel fees for pets... not sure about the window cleaning though!

Best take it up with your admin

Don't know about the TA, but going by experience as a Reg, 5 years ago, Telic 1, when I was on Rear Party, thanks to those Army Medical Services wankers, your Mrs could get her windows cleaned and grass cut if you were deployed.....and she was at home, up the duff.

As for dog and cat sitting? Frank Carson once said, "It's a cracker!!"

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Paywog,

No regular army.

Abacus,

Before taking it up with admin I wanted to see if it was a wah or if there is any mileage in it. It would not be the first time I've been f@cked off at the high port when asking for some thing, only to find years later that there was an entitilment just the sdmin chain did not know about it.

In that case your login name is what you will get!!

Mobilsed TA are looked on on a case by case basis - and have been known to claim all of the above (and more!!)

PW

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lofty19 said:
Don't know about the TA, but going by experience as a Reg, 5 years ago, Telic 1, when I was on Rear Party, thanks to those Army Medical Services *******, your Mrs could get her windows cleaned and grass cut if you were deployed.....and she was at home, up the duff.

Long time since I've heard anyone having a pop at medics. You're probably right about them being w@ankers. I don't know why we don't get rid off them and spend the money getting more real soldiers out on the ground.

Perhaps you can:

Other expenses The expenses your soldier can claim are:
costs for care of a dependant child.
costs for care of a dependant relative.
costs for care of a pet, excluding veterinary costs.
extra insurance for leaving their own home empty.
essential maintenance on their own home.
From: A guide for the families of mobilised members of the Territorial
Army and the Regular Reserve

http://www.army.mod.uk/linkedfiles/...support/familyspgen/families_guide_for_ta.pdf

Also see:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20050859.htm

(Statutory Instrument 2005 No. 859
The Reserve Forces (Call-out and Recall) (Financial Assistance) Regulations 2005)

Where it states:

Allowable expenses claim
4. - (1) A reservist performing relevant service shall, subject to fulfilment to an adjudication officer's satisfaction of the requirement to furnish information or documentation under paragraph (2) of regulation 11, be entitled to make a claim in respect of certain allowable expenses.

(2) For the purposes of this regulation allowable expenses means those expenses specified below which are incurred by the reservist as a result of his relevant service and which will cease at the end of the relevant period. Those allowable expenses are -

(a) additional payments by the reservist in respect of the care of a dependent child;

(b) additional payments made by the reservist in respect of the care of any dependent relative who is ordinarily resident with the reservist;

(c) additional payments by the reservist in respect of the care of an animal for which the reservist is responsible, but does not include -

(i) any veterinary bills that would have been incurred in any event had the reservist not been performing relevant service;

(ii) the care of animals that are the subject of a commercial activity of the reservist which forms the basis of his livelihood;

(d) additional payments made by the reservist in respect of insurance for leaving his main residence unoccupied for an extended period of time;

(e) payments made by the reservist in respect of the essential maintenance of his main residence and garden

B_D,,

As I said and you have quoted in your post Mobilised TA can and do claim for some or all of the above, Regulars can not - "one Army concept" works both ways!!

PW

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Karabiner said:
BuggerAll said:
Lofty19 said:
Don't know about the TA, but going by experience as a Reg, 5 years ago, Telic 1, when I was on Rear Party, thanks to those Army Medical Services *******, your Mrs could get her windows cleaned and grass cut if you were deployed.....and she was at home, up the duff.

Long time since I've heard anyone having a pop at medics. You're probably right about them being w@ankers. I don't know why we don't get rid off them and spend the money getting more real soldiers out on the ground.
Sorry guys, off thread here but what a tube. Combat casualty survival rates at their highest ever (see current Soldier mag ), thats down to medics. Lots of guys still alive due to medics on current ops so they must be doing something right.
I was being sarcastic. Wee Mouflon (ie Mrs BuggerAll) is currently saving lives in the sandpit and I'm also an AMS W@nker.

I suspect Lofty is a bit chippy because he was on rear party and thus not only was he suffering the shame of being a war dodger but he probably got tasked to do the grass cutting for someone else's pregnant wife.

paywog said:
B_D,,

As I said and you have quoted in your post Mobilised TA can and do claim for some or all of the above, Regulars can not - "one Army concept" works both ways!!

PW
Apologies. I missed BA's 'I am a regular' post. I am also aware that spouses of regular soldiers can have FSQ gardens mown whilst hubby is away, never heard of cat/dog sitting for them though.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bonzo_Dog said:
paywog said:
B_D,,

PW
Apologies. I missed BA's 'I am a regular' post. I am also aware that spouses of regular soldiers can have FSQ gardens mown whilst hubby is away, never heard of cat/dog sitting for them though.
I don't want to be accused of walting even second hand. I said the better half is regular, I didn't say specifically anything about me but I'm TA.

BuggerAll said:
Bonzo_Dog said:
paywog said:
B_D,,

PW
I don't want to be accused of walting even second hand. I said the better half is regular, I didn't say specifically anything about me but I'm TA.
I am not doing very well today , am I?

Dog-faced-soldier said:
I suspect Lofty is a bit chippy because he was on rear party and thus not only was he suffering the shame of being a war dodger but he probably got tasked to do the grass cutting for someone else's pregnant wife.
Bingo!

Wardodger? Hmm. Cost me a couple of ranks and a bit of dosh that word has. Bitter and twisted? Me? Feckin right!

As to my earlier (Brandy fuelled, but still no excuse) post, delete "Army Medical Services wankers", insert "local MRS MOs who I've a long-standing gripe with" (long story which I won't go into). My sincere apologies to those not in the latter.

Latest Threads