Does you car pull left or right and no bugger can sort it?

I was always told that the car was set to drift to the left, so that if you fell asleep or passed out. The car would drift off to the left, hit the rubble strips which would wake you or you would go off into the verge. All this rather than drifting into oncoming traffic.

C

cloudbuster

I was always told that the car was set to drift to the left, so that if you fell asleep or passed out. The car would drift off to the left, hit the rubble strips which would wake you or you would go off into the verge. All this rather than drifting into oncoming traffic.
So if you nod off in the second overtaking lane of a three-lane motorway you'll drift under a woofer? Smashing.

So if you nod off in the second overtaking lane of a three-lane motorway you'll drift under a woofer? Smashing.
I'm just saying what I was told, though I do agree with you about being on a motorway. I suppose at that tender age I believed anything I was told by my instructors. Although driving a FFR lightweight down the A1 and having to turn the wheel both directions just to keep it in a straight line should have told me it was another army myth.

Should I reverse everywhere while I'm in mainland Europe? :)

RUMBLE STRIPS! WTF would rubble strips be?
From Wiki:

Rumble strips, also known as sleeper lines, are a road safety feature that alert inattentive drivers to potential danger by causing a tactile vibration and audible rumbling, transmitted through the wheels into the car body. A rumble strip is usually either applied in the direction of travel along an edge- or centreline, to alert drivers when they drift from their lane, or in a series across the direction of travel, to warn drivers of a stop ahead or nearby danger spot. In favourable circumstances, rumble strips are effective (and cost-effective) at reducing accidents due to inattention. The effectiveness of shoulder rumble strips is largely dependent on a wide stable shoulder for a recovery.

A bit off and on, thread....remember driving like a lunatic and had a zebra crossing coming up, must have been doing..ahem, a bit over the speed limit..a young girl then decides to cross when I was about 10 metres away.....I hit the brakes hard but skidded with feck all chance of not hitting her.....then the car pulled to the left and that was the only reason that I didn't knock her up into the air and kill her.

It made me think.

Five years ago, driving along Brockley road in SE London, saw a drunken bum and his equally drunken bird, swaying in the middle of the road, about 100m away. An oncoming car hit him doing 30+ and didn't stop.

The bum was knocked about 15m, hit the deck on my side of the road and didn't move. Girlfriend started screaming and doing the headless chicken thing.

I stopped in front of him, put the hazards on , got out, took one look at his still open eyes, which were now filled with bright red blood, and knew that the impact had killed him.

Did all the 'clear airway/feel for pulse, look at his chest for breathing/etc', just to distance myself and to get the training and procedures going....but like I said, I just knew that this fella wasn't coming back.

A passing nurse came over and after a quick debrief, I just left it to her, which she was happy to do.

He died pi55ed and instantly, which in the great scheme of things, is better, IMO, than dieing scared.

Here's the song to shut your eyes to for the last time.....mentions about dying 'with a little bit of cocaine on the side' to ease the passing.

Just saying like.

James Booker: Junco Partner - YouTube

C

cloudbuster

WTF would rubble strips be?
Bits of the cars that are set-up to steer to the left and off the road in case the driver is gash enough to nod-off at the wheel, left there by the Highways Agency as an example to others. May also include bits of fuel tank and crash bars from the sides of artics. And roadkill.