Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does working hard still make you rich?

I guess it's a way to get rich but I don't have much respect for bankers. Tho I guess the most I know of it is from reading City Boy by that twit Geraint Anderson. It seems they do very little to actually help society and spend their days doing spectacularly dull stuff for their own monetary gain, what sort of philosophy is that?

One time when I was volunteering at a museum one of the older guys started chatting to me, he told me he used to be a banker. My reaction was as though he'd just told me he was a kiddie fiddler.
Each to their own...but very little that we have today could have been built without Banks and the imaginary money that they shuffle around.

I know more who've made it pushing paper...but I work in Banking.

Case in point - one of my best mates, same age as me, same school (though he went to Oxford to study Economics and I...didn't).

He has just left JP Morgan and at the same time bought a £2.2 Million house (roughly 50% deposit put down). I know a fair few who've done similar. I joined the Army for 10 years, before getting into Banking for (now) 5 years. He's got the Bank Balance; I've got the shit dits.

We covered both options; the Mrs did finance and banking sector, I did houses.

She totted up her pensions a few months ago and we ain't doing bad on that side of things when we get around to them in round 5 years. We always have at least 18 months to two years of salary tucked away in case she gets "downsized" which has happened before a couple of times. That costs them money though at her level, anywhere from 6 months to 12 months salary.

We ain't gonna starve in retirement and should enjoy a 6 figure pension along with a fully paid for house.

Funnily the Mrs was the executive VP HR of commercial cards with JP Morgan. Her boss, a scouser, moved on to TD bank head office and wanted her along, he is well on track to being very close to top man at TD, if not top man. Sadly Canadashire is cold so we voted no.

I'll tell you what though about the "shit dits"; they all wish they could tell the shit dits. I used to have them sniffing around me at functions asking for army dits.

Tyk

LE
Translation: the building game is the closest thing you’ll get to the military, it strips years off your body and make you way old before your time.

A Brickies Labrador Retriever, being the hardest job on a site, you don’t need the piss taken out of you while your making someone else good money.

That’s the best translation you’ll get unless you work in the game then you’ll understand .

It was more the cretinous use of there instead of their and your instead of you're so you wrote in moron and not English, the words matter, they have completely different meanings even though they sound similar and your post was very hard work to decode. You've even done it in the post I've just quoted.
I don't struggle to understand the building work.

It was more the cretinous use of there instead of their and your instead of you're so you wrote in moron and not English, the words matter, they have completely different meanings even though they sound similar and your post was very hard work to decode. You've even done it in the post I've just quoted.
I don't struggle to understand the building work.
Naw your just a Baw bag , (their, there ,they’re) who cares .You just enjoy trying to bring folk doon, you must be the top dug in the spelling polis. I couldn’t give a toss about spelling, grammar or anything else.

I‘ll remember this and write the next post in parliamo glesga we’ll see how your translation skills are then.

What I do care about is folk with mental health issues, who cannot take constructive criticism due to many problems they have came across in there life, its folk you that can push someone into a low self esteem due to your spelling and grammar fixation.

HCL

Old-Salt
I think you have to define “rich”. The Duke of Westminster is rich. Jeff Bezos is rich. Tim Cook is rich. Bill Gates is rich. But if you come from a relatively poor background, maybe “rich” equates to something different.

Owning a nice car might be seen as “rich”, but if you live in a 3-bed semi with a Merc on the drive, that’s different from spending a few weeks in your third Beach house with a Bugatti on the drive.

To me being rich is simply having a couple of grand spare with which I can treat my kids ocasionally (useless s0ds still haven't made me a grandparent, I may have to adopt) and not having to worry about if something goes wrong with the motor. KISS is gthe way to go for me.

To me being rich is simply having a couple of grand spare with which I can treat my kids ocasionally (useless s0ds still haven't made me a grandparent, I may have to adopt) and not having to worry about if something goes wrong with the motor. KISS is gthe way to go for me.
What he said. With a few bob in the bank, and a guaranteed income from 3 pensions, and Mrs Sigs pension soon to materialize, house paid for, and all totally refurbished, kids all married, with 8 healthy boisterous grandchildren, i am as rich as i ever want to be. we don't require homes in several different locations, nights out at lavish venues, or all the trappings of extravagant living. Rich is living, as opposed to simply existing, from work home sleep, work home sleep Etc, Rich is doing what ever i please, where i want, when i want, with whoever i want, and not having to count the cost.

Last edited:
I think this pretty much sums it up.

Work is not the most important thing in life, and the weirdos who use their work to fill up all their time and make others feel like slackers are the problem.

What do they want on their tombstone when they die? "I sent 500 emails a day"?

This also goes hand-in-hand with job interviews where you have to fake being enthusiastic and the absurd company values and management sound bites. Sometimes I feel I'm the only one who doesn't fall for that bs, it's just thinly veiled propaganda.

Also, it's Sunday night and I really can't be arsed to go to work tomorrow.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

Work is not the most important thing in life, and the weirdos who use their work to fill up all their time and make others feel like slackers are the problem.

What do they want on their tombstone when they die? "I sent 500 emails a day"?

This also goes hand-in-hand with job interviews where you have to fake being enthusiastic and the absurd company values and management sound bites. Sometimes I feel I'm the only one who doesn't fall for that bs, it's just thinly veiled propaganda.

Also, it's Sunday night and I really can't be arsed to go to work tomorrow.
Frankly I think Peterson's opinions there are horseshit. I know plenty of people who have decided to settle down and have families. Most are happy, some are miserable. I know a lesbian family that are happy and raising a child. I know a gay couple that have decided not to raise kids but are happy together. I also know several heterosexual couples that have chosen not to have kids and are happy together.

I can't see myself living with someone else and definitely don't want anklebiters. That doesn't make me miserable, it makes me a rational human being who has looked at the options and chosen the one that makes me happiest.

As to your last comment, I'm going to go into work tomorrow and frantically stick a load of stuff onto a shared drive that I couldn't be arsed to do this weekend, then supervise a bunch of midgets squishing cabbage, then have some really quite intelligent teenagers and try to explain conservation of mass, then try and explain the difference between current and voltage and if I'm lucky I'll keep the ********* under control for an hour. I can't say I'd do it without being paid but I can't think of any other job I would do for the same money.

Latest Threads