Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does working hard still make you rich?

endure

GCM
I also reckon that if you tried being feckless dole scum you'd be bored out of your mind after a few months. I know that after a 6 week summer holiday I'm looking forward to getting back to work beating young children.

FOC ;-)

There's a problem with leaving the education industry too, it's like the Hotel California - once you're in it's very hard to get out, especially on a decent wage, because it means starting at the bottom again and retraining as something else. Most support roles in the sector are also utterly pants and the pay isn't really worth getting out of bed for.
Sadly very true. Most classroom support roles seem to be aimed at working mums who want a job that coincides with school hours and holidays and don't mind being paid a pittance for that convenience. The growing group I'm seeing now are young uni leavers who want classroom experience before doing a PGCE and are still living at home with no real bills to pay.

I did some support work while on the dole quite a few years ago and it wasn't worth getting paid for the hassle of dealing with the DWP, I just put it down as voluntary work which they were happy with.

No. Never had any intention to be. I did a law degree for 4 reasons.

1. I could do it through the OU and not have to travel anywhere.
2. I wanted to better understand why the law is an ass.
3. Bragging rights (it’s a law degree FFS)
4. It was the most expensive degree I could find and the Army were paying, I figured they owed me that much.

Not necessarily in that order.

when I looked its was cira 50k for an OU law degree,

something I would like to have done but don't really have the time needed

ABNredleg

War Hero
No. Never had any intention to be. I did a law degree for 4 reasons.

1. I could do it through the OU and not have to travel anywhere.
2. I wanted to better understand why the law is an ass.
3. Bragging rights (it’s a law degree FFS)
4. It was the most expensive degree I could find and the Army were paying, I figured they owed me that much.

Not necessarily in that order.
I earned my law degree in 1986, decided I didn’t want to be a lawyer so went into the Army as a Field Artillery officer. The communication and reasoning skills learnt in law school have proven to be very valuable over the years.

It has a lot of social stigma attached to it so much so that whole television series are broadcast about it.

Like most television series it's 2% truth and 98% bollocks to draw the audience in.

If you read the Daily Wail/National Enquirer/Fox News you'd assume that the world is going to hell in a handcart.

If you step outside your front door in the morning you realise that the world spins on as normal and what you see in the papers/on the TV is make believe...
No my neighbors unkempt lawn is starting to screw with the Earth’s axis. Two weeks without mowing will do that.

when I looked its was cira 50k for an OU law degree,

something I would like to have done but don't really have the time needed

Do you already have a degree, or other post grad qualification like a DMS, or MBA?

If you do have something you can just do the post grad certificate in law which takes 12 months rather than the 3 years of a full degree...you are considered to have done the mundane stuff of a degree and concentrate on studying the law. I did a PGCL for a year in between my degree and masters, I had done business law on my degree and the masters I wanted to do was a brand new course and ended up being pushed back a year.

I am doing an undergrad certificate in construction management [online] at the moment and when I get chance I shall probably do an MBA here ===> Fees - North Wales Management School - Wrexham Glyndwr University About the cheapest I have found at 6K from an acredited university, you may want to consider it. I just do them cos I enjoy studying as it keeps the grey cells ticking over.

I think you have to define “rich”. The Duke of Westminster is rich. Jeff Bezos is rich. Tim Cook is rich. Bill Gates is rich. But if you come from a relatively poor background, maybe “rich” equates to something different.

Owning a nice car might be seen as “rich”, but if you live in a 3-bed semi with a Merc on the drive, that’s different from spending a few weeks in your third Beach house with a Bugatti on the drive.

Yes, I think the OP is looking down the wrong end of the telescope, there have always been wastrel layabouts getting by on scrounging off others, they are an irrelevance and shouldn't become a fixation for anyone.

I think the answer to the question, as pointed out by others, is the definition of rich. Living in a decent four-bed house in SE England with a couple of top-of-the-range saloons in the drive, putting the kids through private school and maybe owning a nice little place in Italy or France safe in the knowledge that you have a good pension waiting for you when you retire at 60, would by any definition make you rich beyond the dreams of avarice for 90% of the world's population.

But in real terms that's not "rich", that's being a comfortably off member of the upper middle class in a first world country. I think almost all of us here would happily settle for that and it's a position you can get through hard, or at least smart, work.

As to working hard to get rich in the sense of the super-rich today? The yacht in Monte Carlo, palatial mansion in Beverley Hills, private Lear jet and penthouse apartment in Kensington, stock options worth billions? No, hard work won't get you that and rarely ever did.

I would suggest you go through the super rich names and examine them and you will find few examples of brow-sweating, 12-hour days, seven days a week, putting in the time on the front line, sleeves rolled up for forty years or so among them. Sure there are a handful who would have done that for a few years at the start of their careers and then struck dumb good luck, while equally or even harder working people fell by the wayside.

But the vast majority either inherited the wealth or frankly stole it. Now I am as far from a chippy Corbynista as you are likely to find but in later years I have been shocked to discover just how many titans of industry whom we are told to admire are simply out and out crooks, and usually crooks that have bent politicians in their back pockets.

You can work hard to get a comfortable life, but to get to rich status you will either prostitute yourself or buy the right prostitutes.

He has money, all the toys he could want, he is married, does what he pleases, is also shagging one of the assistants 30 years younger than himself and will doubtless join the billionaire cub in the next 12 months.
He wont be joining the billionaires club when he gets his assistant up the duff and his wife finds out. More like the paupers club when they both divide his fortune between them after the divorce lawyers have had their cut.

I reckon if you're in AZ, a person would need A/c.
Serious question: is 2 weeks vacation still standard in the USA?(IMHO, just not long enough!)

Depends where you work, and more importantly, if you are in the position to, how hard you negotiate your package when you start.

When we arrived here JP Morgan offered the Mrs around 2 weeks, blah, blah, blah. She spoke to a mate who told her to tell them to poke it and she wanted more. She ended up with 4 weeks, public holidays as it is a bank (lots of non-bank and non-govt employers don't give public holidays), and also the usual christmas - new year stand down that bank head office people seem to get. Work a retail, or manufacturing job and you don't see a holiday entitlement for the first six months, unlike euro-land there are no paid sick days and maternity leave is a myth they have read about on the interweb. The working practices here are comparable to UK working practices and employee treatment back in the 1950's.

Life has lots of ups and downs. I would say work hard early on and try to put yourself in prime positions to take maximum advantage of the opportunities that come your way. Along with the crap golden moments will for sure come your way. Take your chance when it comes and then you can relax later on. Remember though, plenty of time to sleep when you’ve passed.

Work clever, always look for the advantage, always better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission (this may not be applicable to sexual encounters), and don't be afraid to slide in the knife.

I reckon if you're in AZ, a person would need A/c.
Serious question: is 2 weeks vacation still standard in the USA?(IMHO, just not long enough!)
I have AC in my hovel and it depends. My in-laws get a week of paid vacation time a year. I might take 2.5 weeks a year if I am lucky.

Last edited:
It's also staggeringly easy to fire people. In Germany, it's almost impossible.

I had two works council reps working For me in my unit, oh joy. The Mrs had Germany, along with most of the rest of europe under her HR wing. Whilst she will tell you that Germany is difficult she would tell you that Italy is worse.

The US tends to be at will contracts so you can be out of the door at the whim of your boss. They better have a good reason though cos you can sue their arrses and receive a nice payout. Climb the ladder and you can negotiate your minimum termination package When you initially sign on. I know my Mrs has always had at least 6 months total package, including bonus, in her jobs here - damn fine if you get laid off and walk into another job a fortnight later;).

i am still amazed though how many supposedly hard charging, super negotiating Americans have no financial plan in place. Some seem to actively mis-manage their finances, regularly re-mortgage their homes, take loans for everything and borrow against their 401K (thats their pension pot). Then as a result they have to work till they drop some time in their 70’s if they live that long.

Latest Threads