Does this sound familiar? -Army defuse 600 lb bomb on border

Nice to see that all those released terrorists are not standing idle.

Good job well done, the fellas. I can't for the life of me understand what yon boyyos hope to achieve with shite like that. Do they really think they can reverse all the improvements that've been made in the Six Counties?

MsG

Pedantic Mode ON

Why are they trying to spread a bomb over a large area of South Armagh? :D

Or are we trying to defuse it? :twisted: Tch - youngsters these days :roll:

Now to a more serious note - the capability has not gone away and neither has the intention to use it. One day they will succeed - unless we kill them first.

And before the Gobmint apologists and hand wringers turn up - I meant kill!

Bugsy said:
Good job well done, the fellas. I can't for the life of me understand what yon boyyos hope to achieve with shite like that. Do they really think they can reverse all the improvements that've been made in the Six Counties?

MsG
Trouble is Bugsy it is the case of all terror groups that the more they are sidelined, the more the hardliners become divorced from reality.

Always self defeating in the end.

Sinn Fein MP for Newry and Armagh, Conor Murphy said he was "extremely concerned."

He said: "I would question the motives of those who are putting the local community in such danger.

"I challenge those who have planted this bomb in the community to come forward and explain why they have done so? How is this furthering the struggle for Irish freedom?"
Oh stop it! I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe.

Ah well, Mr Brown assured us only a few days ago that fighting in Afghanistan would protect the UK from terrorism on the streets here.
Errr, thinking about it I'm not sure how that computes so I'll go away and scratch my head for a while.

Got it, AQ must be providing the explosives! Or does that not compute either? Bugger, I'm confused.

Killaloe said:
Things are pretty grim in S Armagh at the moment. A couple of weeks ago Paramilitaries staged an armed roadblock in Meigh with rifles and an RPG. A routine PSNI patrol had to withdraw in order not to escalate the situation.

Link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8219182.stm
Can anybody else see the irony here? An RPG is a bit of an escalation in its own right.

See my above - find them and kill them!

Killaloe said:
Things are pretty grim in S Armagh at the moment. A couple of weeks ago Paramilitaries staged an armed roadblock in Meigh with rifles and an RPG. A routine PSNI patrol had to withdraw in order not to escalate the situation.

Link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8219182.stm
Cheers for the link there, Kill. I still have difficulties in understanding what they hope to achieve. The GFA provided a foundation on which to build. It might be slow in coming, but there's no fundamental disagreement in the Six Counties that things are many, many times better than they were. Just how is blowing away RUC fellas going to change things?

Nobody want to see a United Ireland more than me (of which I've never made any secret here on ARRSE), but it must have trickled down to even the thickest of the thick that you can't force something like that by shooting, maiming and blowing folks up! Am I missing something important here?

MsG

Saw the video clip of this on the news last night. Still picture is taken from video footage showing the Gardai talking to Irish soldiers before they drive off. I pissed myself when they drove off as viewers were treated to the Irish army camo attempt on the vehichle. I can just see the conversation now............

Paddy: What colour shall we paint it Murphy?
Murphy: Good question,......... how about, a different shade of green for each panel!!
Paddy: Great idea! I'll start on the front quarter panel with Tortoise-shell green, you do the door with marine green.

I love it, cause it's their best effort!!

PS Rickshaw, unfortunately we cant kill them anymore, "the war is over", apparently.

homer4president said:
Saw the video clip of this on the news last night. Still picture is taken from video footage showing the Gardai talking to Irish soldiers before they drive off. I pissed myself when they drove off as viewers were treated to the Irish army camo attempt on the vehichle. I can just see the conversation now............

Paddy: What colour shall we paint it Murphy?
Murphy: Good question,......... how about, a different shade of green for each panel!!
Paddy: Great idea! I'll start on the front quarter panel with Tortoise-shell green, you do the door with marine green.

I love it, cause it's their best effort!!

PS Rickshaw, unfortunately we cant kill them anymore, "the war is over", apparently.
The war being over doesn't make the feckers bulletproof :twisted: In those immortal words

"Targets will fall when hit"

Queensman said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8244138.stm

This is a bit of a blast from the past! I spent 7 months in and around Forkhill - the most rewarding period in my service! Great fun.
Pedantic I know but diffuse = dispersed.

Defuse = making it safe!!

MODBloke said:
Queensman said:

This is a bit of a blast from the past! I spent 7 months in and around Forkhill - the most rewarding period in my service! Great fun.

Do read my first post :D

MODBloke said:
Queensman said:

Sorry won't work and hasn't worked in the past and as suggested targets will fall and bleed when hit, bring back the SLR I say.

There was an alert at Ballykinler yesterday, abandoned car, haven't heard anything more if it was just joyriders etc.

Anywonder the shinners have their kaks in a twist, the S/Armagh device was probably meant for them.

Aww that would be funny.

This isn't just old guys. This is a new breed of marxist numpties who are so young they can't even recall the ceasefire in 94, have never had to go through 3 VCP's to get to the city centre and have absolutely no opportunity to be frightened by a "Brit" and his big scary gun standing in his grannies front parlour.

Tchh kids today. Don't know the're living.

It's a bit weak for the police to have responded so passively. Surely a group of men threatening people with weapons is enough reason to proceed. There are enough tactical choices to minimise the threat to the public.

I'd suggest some of the following.

1. 8 snipers.
2. Heli follows the van to where it stops. Then lots of shouting and shooting.
3. Apache. Have it large. Council pop by in the morning (or 12 weeks later) to repair the pot-holes.

It'll never go back to the way it was, people are enjoying their new wine bars and being able to sh@g someone without asking 20 questions to try and work out what they are.

In saying that they "only need to get lucky once" so i am in no way under estimating the potential for a major event. Also i no plenty of serving people who have been strongly advised that a trip home to L'derry may not be the best thing to do in recent months.

thing is if these murderous fuckwits get killed.
Its unlikely to be an end to it.
more than likely some fuckwit will write a song about the maytrs and inspire a another dozen of ***holes :x
its a game that can go on for generations a dozen imbiciles can be a threat :cry: