Does this ring true - pathological specimens in the army?

Never having served, I wondered whether anyone here could confirm or deny this statement by Uri Avnery

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/06/26/israeli-war-crimes-who-us/

Anyone who has ever been a combat soldier in war knows that war crimes, whether in the most moral or the most base army in the world, do occur in war. No army can avoid recruiting psychologically defective people. In every company there is at least one pathological specimen. If there are not very strict rules, exercised by very strict commanders, crimes will occur.

Had a lovely bit of roast chicken tonight, probably open a bottle of Crowning Glory in a minute.

Never having served, I wondered whether anyone here could confirm or deny this statement by Uri Avnery

Anyone who has ever been a combat soldier in war knows that war crimes, whether in the most moral or the most base army in the world, do occur in war. No army can avoid recruiting psychologically defective people. In every company there is at least one pathological specimen. If there are not very strict rules, exercised by very strict commanders, crimes will occur.
Eh?

L

lumpy2

Is that you, bad pixel, you little scamp?

psychologically defective people.
?

You must be talking about NAAFI Staff, all the blokes I knew in the army were perfectly sound stable chaps

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
OP - why have you polluted Arrse with an illiterate civics essay written by a fourteen year old?

I was looking at my ear collection and this tripe has caused me to lose count.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

Well, yes, which is why the selection process attempts to minimise the risk. The ones that slip through the net tend to be identified rather quickly, but not always, since some of these nutters are damned clever and some only become nutters at a later stage and not necessarily down to their individual faults..

It's the way the world works.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I served with these I just thought they didn't like cook house food, is that the sort of Pathological Specimens, you had in mind ?

I once watched a doco about Op Barbarossa in which a Waffen SS tank commander said, "Vee ver adwancing at such great speed zat vee did not haf time to stop and commit our attwocities".
The lesson I learned from that was that, yes, attrocities do happen in war, but sometimes not as many as you'd like.

I tried to get through the first post and the link, all I could think of was this

Well I, for one, only try to re-enact Death Race 2000 on the A1 twice a week.

The original, mind. Not that Statham bowlax.

shibusa2

On ROPS
On ROPs

If you are discussing the verifiable condition called psychopathy, then as a profession they are not drawn to the military. Interesting enough one of the top 10 professions you would likely find a psychopath is the church. Having said that, the one's in the army seem to congregate in the special forces.

War crimes are not necessarily committed by psychopaths. I personally I think there are people who are pure evil and has nothing to do with an oddly wired amygdala.

If you are discussing the verifiable condition called psychopathy, then as a profession they are not drawn to the military. Interesting enough one of the top 10 professions you would likely find a psychopath is the church. Having said that, the one's in the army seem to congregate in the special forces.

War crimes are not necessarily committed by psychopaths. I personally I think there are people who are pure evil and has nothing to do with an oddly wired amygdala.
@shibusa2,
Had a lovely bit of roast chicken tonight, opened a couple of bottles of Crowning Glory so get fucked.

Latest Threads