Does this make me pikey?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by scarecrow, Apr 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A mate of mine at work ,who I now know to be a tad thrifty, told me today that you can claim for laundry costs for the last six years. Apparently you don't need receipts and it's £145 per year for a maximum of six years. That's £870 if you are entitled to the maximum!
    All you have to do is write to the tax man quoting your National Insurance number and state that you have served in HMF since (enlistment date) and that you wish to claim your entitlement. There is a sample letter floating around Chicksands. We are entitled to claim because we're issued uniform, but not offered a free laundry service for it. I sent my claim off today. Has anybody else done this yet and actually got the money?

2. Sounds interesting let us know how it goes.

Better in your poclet than theirs

3. Scarecrow mate,
    Think about the following two points:
    1. If something seems too good to be true, it usually is.
    2. What day was it yesterday?

Oh yeah, are you coming out on my leaving do by the way?

4. ???? Take the kit into the QM's it will go for Dry Cleaning/Laundry FREE ... but it used to be gone for a week or two, and then it was a bit of a lottery if you got the same kit back, seeing as 1 Tree/Bush disguise looked very much the same as another....

So the chance of getting anything out of Brown the Highwayman is pretty remote..... sorry.

And if this is a WAH ........ **** I hope Browny boy does overtime on yer claim :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Bagster.. it's a pucker gen tax thingy!!
    I wouldn't miss your leaving do for the world. Is it fancy dress or are we going to be sensible?

6. I heard the same thing, apparently it was doing the rounds in Afghanistan. Check out my post in RHQ.

(Still not sure if it's gen though!!:D)

7. This email landed on my PC at work today and seems too good to be true, I will try and get a copy of the letter on here on Wednesday (out all day tomorrow).

I am not convinced by it but others have sent copies of the letter off, I will tell you how they get on!

The reason why I am not convinced is things like laundry and equipment for work (ie boot polish and razors) are tax benefits. Which means that if you have to pay out for them then you cannot be taxed on them.

This scam, if that is what it is, gets you to write a letter to the tax office in Cardiff and claim the whole lot back. Now something just doesn't add up and bearing in mind yesterdays date I think this would be a wind up!

If anyone knows a Sgt Roberts, AGC (SPS)(Female) who is about to be posted on commissioning then ask her as it was her letter that started it all.

Hope to be proved wrong so I can also get my money back.

Jimima

8. No it doesn't make you pikey. A prediliction towards clothes pegs, lucky heather, dags and shoddy tarmacing as well as a penchant for roast hedgehog makes you pikey.

9. Sorry to poke my nose in.
    I wouldn't be surprised if such a tax allowance was available, but might doubt whether it can be back-dated? I was employed as a civvy psyche nurse up to 2003 and recall writing to the tax man to claim some bizarre allowance for stockings and shoes? (I recall) ... that was an allowance agreed between the tax office and our unions/professional body. Because we wore our own clothes (not uniforms) at work, we were also paid by the employer (on the payslip) MUFTI allowance of £8.81 pm and LAUNDRY ALLOWANCE of £1.32 pm.

10. Well rightly or wrongly they can't take any money from me for trying. If it's a wind up then fair enough but there are at least four people I know of at Chicksands who have sent their letters off. If it is a genuine steer though, then we should all be claiming. I'll definitely let you all know how I get on with it.
    I know that one of those anti CSA websites lists a whole host of things that blokes in HMF can claim for so that they can decrease their disposable income and therefore the amount of money that they pay to ex-wives/girlfriends. It was a WO in the Corps who told me about that one, because he's used it himself. But then again the bloke was a bit of chopper, so I don't know how true or useful that is.

11. That's the about the amount I would expect to get back from the tax man, as in the tax rebate from the £145 that I spend on Laundry ie about a £1 odd. Not worth it I believe but as I said we shall see.

Jimima

12. Hadn't you heard? Your leaving do is the day after you go :D

13. After looking at Her Majestys Customs and Revenues website yesterday I decided the best thing to do was to ring them. I was helpfully informed that this tax allowance is covered in our pay. He then explained that it's in our X Factor.

So unfortunately, no extra wonga for the lads and lasses. :(

14. I just think someoe has got really p*d off with the taxman and decided to get a bit of revenge large-style. I have my letter in an envelope but I'm not sure if I will actually post it. Seems to close to Apr 1 to be true, plus SE32485 states it's £45 pa, not £140 a year. Hate to be the bloke/wifie who has to sift through all the letter arriving at HMRC ha ha ha

15. Ok above is the letter that supposedly needs to be sent to HM Revune & Customs office.

Now I give you this so that I cannot be accused of holding back the evidence!!! But also bear in mind HMRC, Ty Glas is a small regional tax office nothing major and so would be a perfect place to start a wind up by somebody who is really pissed off. I have now heard of two dates by which the letter needs to be at Ty Glas; 01 Apr and more recently 06 Apr; trying to givre the impression that there is still time. I believe final tax year closure for receipts is actually 05 Apr (I stand to be corrected on that!)

I hope to proved wrong at which point I will look a complete arrse and will have lost out on one years worth of laundry costs! However, as desert_queen says I really feel for the poor lads and lasses at Ty Glas.

Class 1 april fool!

Jimima