Does this gadget exist? Thicko in need of advice

Hello all.

The DVD drive in my laptop has been playing up lately and after thoughts of replacing it or buying an external one, I thought about dragging myself into the 21st century with a blu-ray drive.

Then I got thinking that it would have to be a lightscribe one, to do Gucci labels instead of the usual marker pen. But it would also have to serve as a player, with HDMI and hopefully separate audio output (optical, ideally). I need those because my laptop a bit steam-powered by today's standards - oh and I think the USB is only v1 but I'm not arrsed if burning a disc takes a while.

So, whether I'm looking for a drive that'll double up as a player or vice versa, do any of you technophiles know if such a thing actually exists, and do they cost a packet (as I suspect)?

I've tried googling but couldn't find quite what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light.

My guess is such things are not readily available. Bear in mind if your laptop is old/slow it will struggle to handle Blu Ray.

Don't bother with blue ray gadgetness.....you can download blue ray quality films off the internet (know what I mean ;) ) and watch them on your laptop....or plug your laptop into the tv and play it on that. Or (and I suspect this is what you are really after) purchase a media player and you can transfer the films onto that and watch them on the TV. Amazon.co.uk: media player

No built in HDMI/Optical from what I can see.
That was just one out of stacks that are available to those who can input "external Blue Ray DVD player" into Google and press return.

walkyrie

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I've always avoided LightScribe as you pay a premium for a LightScribe drive and have to buy special disks. Meanwhile my £1.28 Sharpie fits the bill nicely.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
coz matt ole mucker they know that inbetween strumping foreign totty you got nuffing better to do with yer live .
cheers bern

His live what???

coz matt ole mucker they know that inbetween strumping foreign totty you got nuffing better to do with yer live .
cheers bern

**** off Bern :)

You and me has some drinking to do when I get back, although if I remember rightly you will be on coca cola. Respec!