Does this describe every troop/sqn you have been in

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by mission, Jan 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been doin a little online learning and came across theses symptoms of a dysfunctionl team an it really made me laugh. Compare your troop/sqn and see how many apply!

Incidents of conflict
    Poor teamwork
    Faliure to work together
    Poor communication
    Low motivation
    Unclear objectives
    Poor performance
    Resentment towards management
    Self interest
    Lack of trust
    Poor management

All the above pretty much sum up everywhere i've been in the army!
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Maybe you were/are the cause :wink:
  3. Thought the seniors would have a whinge but think about three things

1. This was intended as a giggle with a modicum of truth

2. As a senior have you not experienced alot of the above symptoms while woking with heirarchy

3. Most of the my seniors the ssm and the oc all thought it was funny as hell.
  4. Err, you don't join as a SNCO you know.

Actually, most of the symptoms you list do exist in most squadrons, but they are all down to the perception of the individual. If you are a miserable cnut, you'll see the downside to everything, whilst a more upbeat person has a more upbeat slant on things.
  5. poor comms in a sigs unit... is there any hope for the rest of the army then?....

You forgot whining like a girl at every opportunity...
  6. Well it might help comms if people could actually spell. :winkrazz:
  7. Well after 8yrs i'd just about worked out that you don't join as a SNCO (mug!)

As for perceptions well the i do not agree with that most of the points i mentioned would be based on fact ie if youi had a naff tp SSGT who didn't try to protect his tp from the shit jobs and the fastballs constantly handed out be heirachy then that would cause resentment towards the manager.

Unclear objectives, i've lost count of the amount of times when you do a job without knowing why the hell you doing, it or how it is going to contribute or what it importance it has to the bigger picture. The knock on effect of that if low motivation which leads to poor perfomance.

Lack of trust "he's an alright bloke but don't trust him he'll grass you up to the seniors straight away"

i could go on
  8. Yes i know there are alot of mistakes but hey at least i'm tryin to touch type lol
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

So why dont you suggest some solutions Mr Maslow?
  10. Ok well a few pointers could be devleoping focus within the troop establishing collective goals that all members are aware of and ensuring that each member understands how their contribution helps the troop as a whole. That their efforts are recognised and praised with specifics rather than sayin "good work this week lads" something like "really good job at creating holes in the tentwork to allow us to link up cells easier". This would help to improve the commitment and willingness of the guys to work and help weed out hidden agendas. Praising the specifics of somebodys work will let others see their contributions and encourage mutual respect and trust in each other to get the job done.
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

So you are thinking along the right lines even if the specifics are a bit off target and need more thought.
    Have you thought about writing this up (perhaps as a case study in line with your studies??) and then approaching your boss and looking for buy in?
  12. Not a bad idea i'll bear that in mind, maybe get some of my mates from other units to give me examples of the negative and positve points of team performance withinin their units. Need to have accurate examples of the symtoms in order to properly asses how best to deal with them.
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If you need any help PM me offline.
  14. Finish at lunchtime on a Friday? Yay. :headbang:
  15. Sounds more like the Houses of Commons to me!