Does the US Army need the British Army in Iraq?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Big-Ranger, May 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys (my first post in this forum!)...

I have been talking to a few Americans friends (mostly US Army) online, and this question came up...'Does the US Army need the British Army in Iraq?'

I - of course - pointed out the experience and expertise the British Army has in urban counter-insurency - and this they accepted...

The problem is that I do not feel equipped to answer this fairly on behalf of Service Brits - as I am not a member of the forces myself. Can someone help me make a good answer to this question please?

I realize that the British Army (and other service arms) bring a lot of expertise to Iraq that the US Forces perhaps don't have, but it's the 'technical' bit I really don't know about.

Is there equipment or systems that the British forces have that the US forces don't? Or have we supplied logistics or support to the US Army because of some shortfall in their inventory?

Any comments or assistance to make a good responce would be very gratefull recieved.

And apologies to service persons out there - as I feel a bit ashamed I don't know an answer to this off the top of my head!

Many thanks in advance for any help given.
  2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I am given to undestand we have various technical stuff that is better than the Yanks as they buy theirs off the shelf so to speak. However not sure it can be talked about in an open forum. but it is related to scary things that make loud noises...:)
  3. As long as our blokes are getting to do what they're meant to do not sat around on their arses waiting for "THE OP" that never happens then i don't think it matters if we're needed or not it's just getting the chance to get the rounds down and gob off afterwards that most soldiers are interested in??????
  4. Your not press by chance..............
  5. Looks very much like another "one post wonder" digging for a story!

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Regimental Sergeant Majors? :wink:
  7. Well, the US army is massively over stretched, so they need all the help they can get.
  8. Thanks for the welcome! ;)

And 'nope' - just discovered the 'arrse' site...

And as for looking for a story - hardly, I just want to do a good job of explaining to my American fiends what a good job the UK forces do!

Of course I could just make stuff up and bluff it - but I thought I would ask people who knew!
  9. Must be Press then!

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Or....It's George Bush in da house!!!
  11. Can shaved chimps use computers though? :p
  12. Quote, I just want to do a good job of explaining to my American fiends what a good job the UK forces do!

You are Tony Bliar and i claim my free bus pass.
  13. Probably not but the US government does!!
  14. I believe that British forces do contribute quite a bit, as do Aussies, Polish, Danish, Romanian, El Salvadorian, and all other coalition troops. However, I don't think the press does a good job of representing their contributions.
  15. As for technical stuff, that is usually used in support of UK forces only so is not really an issue as far as the Yanks are concerned.

But the bigger question is political. The US Govt truly values that UK contribution. We are second only to the US in troops numbers, thus sending a very strong message. We also, as you say, have a huge amount of counter-insurgency experience and hence why we have a significant level of staff officers, including the Deputy Corps Comd in Baghdad. The yanks lack counter-unsurgency experience, but it is incredible how quickly they are learning.

This starts to take me off thread - a fundamental difference between the Yanks and the Brits is that the Yanks are really supporting their guys and girls in theatre - financially, technically, medically and logisitically. Contrast this with last night Dispatches programme; whether or not Andrew Gilligan has an axe to grind it remains a fact that many soldiers feel unsupported by the Govt. The current Govt has consistently cut the Forces whilst deploying us more than at any time since the 60s. Defence is not seen as a vote winner, but Bush Jnr (irrespective of whether he knows where the Middle East is) has made the War on Terror a fundamental part of his policy and hence Defence gets the money that it needs. All our Govt does apart from deploying poorly supported troops is worry about ID cards.