Does the UK have a Black Friday/Cyber Monday Equivalent?? How much do you normally spend on Christmas?

Trying not to be a bother, but does the UK have an equivalent to Black Friday and Cyber Monday? My workmates and I were discussing the upcoming Christmas shopping season. I was curious if you folks get down with the sickness, or if you don't have to worry about this mad Christmas tradition?

How much do you plan to spend on Christmas? The wife and I are going to try to keep it at about $1100.00 this year for all the people we are buying for. A small fortune to be sure, but not as bad as others here.

Trying not to be a bother, but does the UK have an equivalent to Black Friday and Cyber Monday? My workmates and I were discussing the upcoming Christmas shopping season. I was curious if you folks get down with the sickness, or if you don't have to worry about this mad Christmas tradition?

How much do you plan to spend on Christmas? The wife and I are going to try to keep it at about $1100.00 this year for all the people we are buying for. A small fortune to be sure, but not as bad as others here.
Yes, the big US retailers (Amazon etc) introduced them over here, and they've spread to some of the physical stores too. Not as big as in the US I believe though.

I think my budget for christmas this year is probably about 50p and a broken rubber band.

We have both Black Friday and Cyber Monday. We also have Amazon Prime Day. I don't intend to spend anything. I shall be sponging off my rich friends :mrgreen:

Unfortunately the colonial ceremonies of lucre are rearing their ugly heads in our lands. If only we had the liberal firearms laws, we could sort out those trick or treat cnuts.

ugly

LE
I think my budget for christmas this year is probably about 50p and a broken rubber band.
You feckless wealthy bastid

Yes, the big US retailers (Amazon etc) introduced them over here, and they've spread to some of the physical stores too. Not as big as in the US I believe though.

A great budget to emulate. Alas if Santa does not show up I would have one heart broken child.

ugly

LE
Those of us here less affected by the need for greed (if your TV is too big for your house) tend to give this rubbish a stiff ignoring!

ugly

LE
A great budget to emulate. Alas if Santa does not show up I would have one heart broken child.
Ever heard of making presents?

Due to having a small family, I've never had to spend too big for Christmas. Now with my family being cut drastically over the past two years, I have three relatives to buy for.

A fiver should do it. ;)

Those of us here less affected by the need for greed (if your TV is too big for your house) tend to give this rubbish a stiff ignoring!
Well for those of us who love Christmas, this is a logistical undertaking that starts about now. As we now have 8 weeks!

We get chavs going wild in the likes of Asda (our version of Walmart) beat other paupers to buy rubbish tellys at very marginal discounts

Amazon do it over here, but you've got to search through mountains of stuff that doesn't sell, or isn't really a bargain to find anything worthwhile

I did buy a shed one year on Black Friday, which happened to be something we'd be watching for ages, but otherwise ignore it unless there are cheap spirits on offer

I don't have any kids so I don't have that expense, but since my salary has improved by a lot over the last 6 years I've spent more on my girlfriend, sisters and parents at Christmas than I used to. My dad died a couple of years ago but I always used to get him some expensive gadget or toy like a radio controlled tank or helicopter etc. I don't really bother with the black Friday sales though, I can't be arsed with fighting my way into shops and dealing with all the muppets.

ugly

LE
Well for those of us who love Christmas, this is a logistical undertaking that starts about now. As we now have 8 weeks!
* weeks to make things, bags of time. Christmas is only good for retailers. Something I dont really subscribe to. My eldest brother (The ******) went out of his way to ruin every Christmas we had growing up. I can go without it. I'd rather be out shooting although the boxing day shoot is on hold as we attend the MiL for another Christmas dinner so we can inherit her wealth!
I'm all for going there on Christmas day and saving on the feed bill.

Yes, we do.

We have Hallowe'en inflicted on us now as well. Which I suppose does have it's uses in that it serves as a combat indicator for the rednecks that it is now time to put up the Christmas decorations.

Anyway, off to check that I have adequate supplies of out of date sweets for when the brats turn up tomorrow night.

:santa:

ugly

LE